Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM
SimAlvin

Default When you go on vaca, who will care for your dog?

Here's what to do if you can't take your dogette on vacation with you:
http://designerpuppys.blogspot.com/2...cant-take.html

Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Resident fainting goat

I'm just going to assume this is a question and not a push for a blog which I am not clicking

Merlin, first and foremost.. will stay with friends/family. People he knows and places he knows with dogs he knows. My co-workers are some of my closest friends and adore him

backup he stays with his walker in his home with his dogs. While his home isn't familiar to Merlin, it's a home with a dog that he knows and a person he knows. The home environment in itself would make him more comfortable than anything else

backup backup he stays at the place he goes to daycare. This is a LAST RESORT in case of EXTREME emergency/all other plans failing. While I do trust the place he does daycare TOTALLY and know he would have A LOT of fun during the day..
I would worry about how Merlin would do sleeping in a kennel without the kind of personal interaction with people he is used to day after day.

For long stays-longer vacations he would of course stay with his breeder while GETTING him there would be a trip in itself, I trust her to care for him as I would.. and I know he'd love it

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Kung Pow Fish

clicked the spammyspam, and the answer was "vet tech". you couldnt have just POSTED THAT HERE???????
Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I'm just going to assume this is a question and not a push for a blog which I am not clicking
^ this.

When I'm out of town, I've been having my brother stay at my apartment with the dogs. That way the dogs are in a familiar environment with a familiar person and my rat and hamster are also taken care of.

If that were to fail, backup would be the dogs going to my mom's and someone popping in to care for the rodents every other day.

Backup backup would be to board them at work. But that would totally stress them out, and I highly doubt Cynder would eat while she's there.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Bored Now.

LOL you guys.

He stays at home and my roommate takes care of him. It's effing awesome.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Mostly I avoid going on vacation to avoid the problem.

Meg stayed with a friend the one time I went away. I haven't left Gusto yet at all. If my parents are home, they would stay home with them. If we are all gone, I have a few people I would ask to house-sit. Gusto could go stay with a few different people as well. Meg's happier at home.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

The Dobermans always stay with their breeder. Keira doesn't really enjoy it there (she's beyond overstimulated), but I know they're being taken care of appropriately.

Dance stayed with a chaz member (Zhucca) the first time I went on vacation a couple of years ago, and then this past summer a friend of mine took care of her. She lives with her dogs very similarly to me, and I'm actually pretty sure Dance would trade me in for her haha. She loves her (and her husband) so much. She'll probably always stay with that friend when I go somewhere as long as they're able to take her. If not, I'm not sure where she'd go. She's not the easiest dog to leave always.

I've not taken a vacation since I've had Journey except for the one that I took her with me on. I'd ask my dog friends though (not the one who cares for Dance as that would then be 5 dogs in her house and I'd feel bad) and see if one of them could. Otherwise, I'd honestly probably just opt not to go. I won't leave my dogs in a kennel/daycare/boarding type situation. I would be worried the whole time. I just don't like those situations for leaving my dogs. I wish Journ's breeder was closer, as I wouldn't hesitate to leave her there. But, a 5 hour flight or a several day drive is a tad far.

And if/when I go on a vacation without family, I'd ask my mom to take care of Dance and Journey. She does a great job with them and that would be the most ideal situation for them... but so far, my mom has been along with me on vacations as it's usually family trips we do.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Silence, peasants.

What is this magical word, vacation? :P

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 PM
such sights to show you

Sometimes one or more come with us, sometimes one or more stays with the neighbor, sometimes one or more stays at home with a house sitter, and sometimes one or more boards.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

She goes with me.

When I go on non-vacation trips, she stays with my boyfriend or my dad.