Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

Ivan is pretty much the same now at 8 then when he was a puppy. He STILL goes though life full tilt and with out thinking. The only big thing that changed when he hit maturity was his annoying penchant for not wanting anyone in the house. At home he wants all strangers and some family members to get the F* out. But yet take him away from the house and hes willing to meet and greet just about everyone.
Peewee is still the fun police and always has been. He's never been much for playing with toys. As hes gotten older he really could care less about alot of things other than his food. The "I'm starving, must have food" is getting real old. He trash picks, steals food off from tables when your back is turned. He never did that as a puppy. Fact is he was just about the most perfect puppy you could ever ask for.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn has actually lightened up as she's gotten older LOL.

She was an ultra serious puppy and if I tried to get her excited she would sit down away from me and grumble until I stopped - then would come over when I was "settled". She totally knew how to teach me LOL. Our training sessions looked rather boring in that regard, but that's how she liked it! Right from the get go she LOVED kids, and everyone really. She's always been super confident and resilient, and very people oriented.

She's still all those things but now she's learned she can have a little bit more fun. She's still not a dog that loves rough housing or wrestling, but if she's already in a playful mood she likes it when I grab her and hold her and will even sometimes jump at me and mouth my sleeves. She loves weaving in between my legs, growling and smiling. She will also wag her tail and lick more than she did when she was younger - though still not often compared to a "normal" dog. She's developed a lot more toy and hunting drive as well. She's developed some guardian instincts, like I expected she would with age, like running wolves off the property (eek!!) and taking offence to people trying to enter the house without our permission. Of course though she's still a total love and very people friendly!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Teagans personality pretty much stayed the same. She is still my sweet, snarky girl. But she did become less into strangers. Before she was happy to meet new people, now she could care less about people she does not know, they cease to exist in her mind.

Panzer is still a pup, but I am guessing he will stay the same happy, sweet, goofy, cuddly and sometimes serious puppy. He is also very independent and confident. Those traits will stay the same, but I am pretty confident as he hits maturity his reaction to strangers will change. Right now he is politely friendly to strangers as he matures he probably won't give two cents about them. Also as he matures his protective instinct will kick in and he probably will become less tolerant of other male dogs as he will be kept intact and his breed has a good change of become SSA.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Nope, backup was hyper social and became quite the opposite. Sloan was antisocial and became very social. Go figure.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

Hudson - Yes. Definitely yes. But, he is only a year so things might change a bit

In the car, of the three puppies he settled down the soonest, even though the other two were in a crate together and he was alone. When we stopped at rest stops, he was the most confident of the group. He was nervous and scared and you could tell, but he brave enough to at least walk around a little with me.

He has always LOVED people, not an aloof bone in his body. He has always been a goofy, wiggle boy

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Nope, backup was hyper social and became quite the opposite. Sloan was antisocial and became very social. Go figure.
Because nothing with Belgians can ever just be simple. Weirdos.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Those traits will stay the same, but I am pretty confident as he hits maturity his reaction to strangers will change. Right now he is politely friendly to strangers as he matures he probably won't give two cents about them. Also as he matures his protective instinct will kick in and he probably will become less tolerant of other male dogs as he will be kept intact and his breed has a good change of become SSA.
I expect the same with Abrams. He'll be six months old in a week and around that five month mark he started to become a lot more watch-doggy. He alert barks to things where before he wouldn't make a peep. People or things that are not "normal" around the house and yard are barked at. People or things in public that are not "normal" are barked at. He's still friendly when approached, but in unfamiliar environments he doesn't really care about strangers and won't approach them unless they illicit it first.

If anything, I hope he becomes more confident in himself. In some cases when he is barking, I can tell it is more of a knee-jerk wuss reaction versus a confident dog alerting. I have seen an improvement, though, so I'm hopeful he'll get there in time. He now has a "confident dog alerting" bark, and it sounds different from his, "ZOMG, something is DIFFERENT" bark that used to be his only one.

Oh, and one thing that has changed:
He is a lot more ball driven now. Yey!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Tucker is mostly the same, but obviously lost some puppyness. He was afraid of strangers and still is. He has always loved to play, the only difference is he isn't a big chewer anymore with his toys. The biggest difference is that he used to love dogs but now wants them to die, that happened when he was 2. His energy level has gone down a bit which you expect when a puppy becomes an adult. He has also become much better behaved in the house, other than barking he's wonderful.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Because nothing with Belgians can ever just be simple. Weirdos.
Exactly! People say omg Phelan is so friendly and I smile and say yup, right now he is. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.