Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Silence, peasants.

Default Did your dog's personality stay the same?

Did your dog's general personality/temperament/tendencies stay the same from puppyhood to adult?

Or if you didn't get it as a puppy, when first brought home to now?

Lalala.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 PM
orange iguanas.

Yes! Juno was the biggest goofball, playplayplay puppy.... happy, friendly, and eager, but a little bit ADD and always looking for a game. Nothing has changed in the past 4.5 years. She's still a dork. She still has a toy in her mouth 90% of the time and thinks every time is play time. She still becomes the happiest creature on the planet when she gets to run and play.

Lucy was a lazy, crotchety dog when she came home as a pup. Yep, still the same.

Happy, of all dogs, has actually changed since I've had her. Her bio from the rescue said she likes attention, but doesn't seek it. It also said she prefers men. And I got the impression that she'd be lazy and sleep in a corner all day. She ended becoming the most affectionate dog I have and she has no hesitation seeking attention from ANYONE, regardless of gender lol. She is also maybe the most demanding for walks.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

In most ways, yes, but they've all changed a bit as well.

Dance was a super skittish puppy. The only puppy I've ever had who would totally put the brakes on and refuse to walk a further step if there were strangers nearby or anything else she thought was weird. She was also super biddable and just a huge mom suck. Now, as a mature adult, she's much more comfortable with environments overall, but still a weirdo with most people, and she's become very independent as she's gotten older. Everything is all about her now and she constantly questions me. She works for food and play. Not for me haha. She likes to do her own thing, on her own terms. She's also increasingly bitchy and snarky with other dogs and has become a bit of a control freak Fun Police, whereas she used to be quite playful. But that seems pretty common in mature dogs. WHen it comes down to it though, her inherent temperament is still there. She's just braver due to exposure and training, but her naturally skittish, jumpy temperament is always just under the surface.

Keira was a nightmare youngster. She was the only dog I've ever had that I thought I hated. I truly thought I'd never like her. She was super independent, distracted, not motivated by much, had separation anxiety, was a screamer, ran here there and everywhere without thought... just super annoying, no matter what. She's still kind of like that. She's overstimulated easily and I have to be careful to ensure that I don't let her get away with not thinking, but she's actually quite endearing and more level headed than she was. She's super sweet, kind, gentle and she has grown to love learning. She's not the best at it, but I am really enjoying her. We've come to terms with one another over the last couple of years and have actually formed a relationship lol. It took a long time, but there are many things I love about her now. I guess if I really think about though, yes, her base temperament is the same. Just a lot of time and energy has gone into making her livable haha.

Ripley is totally different than when he was young. Just completely. He was such a derpy, happy go lucky, people pleasing, super friendly youngster. I thought he'd grow up to be a bombproof dog. Instead, he's gotten increasingly insecure, thinks he should alert me to things he deems strange (someone walking in our field, wearing weird clothes), and is not reliably dog friendly any longer. Some of these I think are just mature Doberman things, but other things I find a little weird. He should be a lot more brave and confident than he is, and he has no reason to be a little off wish some people now, when he was totally fine in the past. Even at home he's more insecure and worries, and I can't think of anything to have caused it. But he's still a sweet, dopey boy just like he used to be. Just not quite the dog I expected him to turn into at all. It makes me sad, because I know I did everything in my power to mold him into a confident, take anywhere dog. I feel like maybe his thyroid is affecting his temperament, because these changes occurred after 3 years old, but blood panels don't show anything.

Journey is only a year old but she's basically the same as when I brought her home. Super happy, playful, easily motivated. If anything she's even more outgoing than when she was younger. But I don't consider a 12 month old dog to be an adult, so we'll see what happens in the next year or two. I hope she stays this wonderful forever.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM

Last edited by Toller_08; 10-01-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added more
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Well, Abrams is still a puppy (at six months)...but he hasn't changed at all. He's still a wuss and throws tantrums. He still loves to play, knows no physical bounderies, and loves people. He's still an intelligent, food driven, idiot goof ball dog. LOL I suspect that maturing will refine his edges a bit and make him less excitable...but I don't see his core personality changing.

Chloe was a snarky, reactive, sassy, awesome bitch of a puppy when she was in puppy kindergarten class, and she is still that today. Again, her personality just refined itself a bit.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm All Ears

I think the base temperament is the same. My first thought of Mia when I met her was that she seemed very shy and she is a dog that is not comfortable with strangers. And then the screaming for 7 hours straight after getting her in the car was a good indication she's a loudmouth and into trouble.

She has developed a lot. She's less dog tolerant than she was and if possible even less stranger tolerant- although she's not one that is going to acknowledge a stranger at all, she just tends to move away quietly. I will be honest that my gut reaction to meeting Mia was she was the wrong dog because she was shy but I would not trade her for the world. She is the best dang dog I've ever had.

I've known Summer since 3 months and the biggest thing that stood out was that her toy drive was present at 3 months but gone when I got her at 4 years. And now I've built up a little bit with the tug artificially. But she was ALWAYS super in yor face happy friendly. I remember thinking Summer and I had a special bond before I got her. Every time we'd go visit the breeder, Summer would be the dog in my lap the entire time and the first and most enthusiastic greeter. I thought we had something 'special' going on but now I realize that she just is an attention slut and loves everyone.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Yes, the only change was the red clown shoes she wears now are bigger.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Top Dog

Yes and no. I like what Laurelin says about the base temperament and think that applies to Trent as well.

As a puppy, Trent was a very solemn, serious, independent little puppy. He didn't have much interest in people and in fact liked strangers even more than he liked us. He really loved to chew and shred, but otherwise wasn't big on playing. He wasn't very affectionate, either... he just liked to bite people and didn't have much patience for cuddles or kisses. If you tried to go in for kisses you'd be lucky to get away with your lips intact. He was smart as a whip and very driven for food, but otherwise ambivalent about a lot of things. Just sort of an impersonal puppy.

As an adult, Trent is still a serious dog but he's also a bit of a baby, too. He still has his independent streak, but also likes to play the role of overzealous guardian. Definitely less thrilled about strangers than he was before, although he still loves on any welcome guests in our house. He's still not a cuddler and doesn't stay still too long to be smothered with kisses, but he tolerates them occasionally. He'll bury his head in my arms for a few moments when I tell him I love him, or he'll sit on my lap for butt scratches. He takes life pretty seriously, can sometimes be a spazz (more so than when he was a puppy), but he's gotten a lot goofier and more playful since. I think that is more nurture and less nature because he's never been a "wheeeeee! LIFE!" kind of dog, but he has his fun. Major ball drive, moderate food drive, looooves to play. Tug, chase, catch, you name it.

Four years ago he made me never, ever want puppies again. I like adult Trent, though.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Silence, peasants.

Bumpity bump, I need moar responses.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Mostly, yes. She's always been handler oriented, aloof, focused, driven, bold, bossy and brazen. She has changed in that she doesn't care for dogs outside the family's where she used to play with them a lot.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Puppy Dog

Yes my dog has. She has always been a bit fearful/wary of people/environments she doesn't know. Although she has gotten better as she aged, with conditioning.