Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

I grew up with one and have loved them ever since.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

We had a Springer when I was born but I didn't know her very well. We bought a Samoyed from a pet store when I was also young (who was THE BEST childhood dog ever, seriously). She died and my dad wanted a "hunting dog." We bought Buzz from the paper and well, the more I've researched and learned, the more I've fallen in love.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

I got my first Chow by chance and, yes, I fell in love with a teddy bear puppy. Thankfully I was a dog person, even in my late teens, and did tons of research and was committed to training (I was already involved in obedience and was a member at a training club) and socialization. He was seriously one of the best dogs ever..a wonderful 'go anywhere' dog and great with absolutely everyone. He sold me on the breed forever

Chows are not the only breed I will have, but I'll always have the breed in my home We are hoping to show our next Chow and become more involved in the breed.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
such sights to show you

Randomly and accidentally. Like many things in my life.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Twin 2

I really like reading all these, it's neat.

With the Koolies I have Kaylee to thank. I had gotten Kaylee and as she grew up and I grew into dogs I realized that no matter how much I adored her she just wasn't the type of dog for me. Not active enough, not biddable enough, not built right etc. Pretty much the epitome of Kaylee was what I didn't want in a dog.

That's when I started searching. I had looked at so many breeds from Cardigan Corgi's, to Boxers, to Chinese Cresteds, to Border Collies, to Cattle Dogs. Nothing seemed just right, Cattle Dogs were the closest I came and I still wasn't set.

So on a whim at work I googled Herding Breeds because I was pretty sure that was the group I wanted a dog from. I saw the name Koolie and thought it was odd and I hadn't heard that name before so I clicked on it. I was lead to this page: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/koolie.htm I saw the first picture they had there and wasn't blown away, it looked like a tailed Aussie and I didn't really like the look. But I went on to read the description and everything clicked. Just, there was the dog I was looking for, it didn't even matter I wasn't fond of the look.

So I scrolled down farther and saw the next dog pictured and it was Toolalla Ted:

Stopped me dead.

So then I started researching more because, well come on, dogbreedinfo. But everything I read fit what I wanted, then I started talking to owners in Australia and was even more sold.

And that was that. Decided on breeder, imported Traveler and haven't looked back since.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Lab Love

I really enjoy reading all these! It's really interesting how people have come to make their breed choice.

Initially I did not like Labs at all. They were the most prominent breed in the daycare I had started working at when I was 17 (I bet you are all shocked!). The majority were pretty badly behaved dogs, it was a bad trend and I just kind of wrote them off as a prospect. I was at first enthralled by Ibizan Hounds. They just seem to be an absolute joy to have and even when I met a couple at a dog show I was even more impressed. I still think they are one of the most beautiful breeds out there and I will likely have one in the future once I'm settled in my career and in a house. Anyways, I wasn't really sure which breed I would get. I was kind of all over the place at first. Tibetan Mastiffs, Pomeranians, Border Collies, Malinois. None of them really said to me "Yes! Go get a puppy now!"

When I switched daycares they seemed to have a wide scope of breeds, not majority labs like the other one I was working at. There was one dog, McGruff, who I really connected with. I worked the closing shift every night and he usually would be my only dog from 6:30ish - 7. I got bored of just playing ball with him and started teaching him tricks instead. Our bond was pretty much immediate. Everything about his character. embodies what a lab should be like (in my opinion). He's just a fantastic dog.

As time moved on, the majority of my favourite dogs were Labs. It's like a light bulb went on and "ah-ha!" this is my breed. Duke was one of the daycare dogs and I had known him since he was 14wks old. When his owner came to us and said that she would have to give him up (not enough time for him blah blah) I jumped on it pretty quick. Duke is a fantastic dog. He's not going to win any conformation show but I can't imagine my life without him. He has the desire to work with me, the awesome off switch but he will get up and go for hours if you desire too. He's perfect and I won't ever be without a lab or two.

I really enjoy reading all these! It's really interesting how people have come to make their breed choice.

Initially I did not like Labs at all. They were the most prominent breed in the daycare I had started working at when I was 17 (I bet you are all shocked!). The majority were pretty badly behaved dogs, it was a bad trend and I just kind of wrote them off as a prospect. I was at first enthralled by Ibizan Hounds. They just seem to be an absolute joy to have and even when I met a couple at a dog show I was even more impressed. I still think they are one of the most beautiful breeds out there and I will likely have one in the future once I'm settled in my career and in a house. Anyways, I wasn't really sure which breed I would get. I was kind of all over the place at first. Tibetan Mastiffs, Pomeranians, Border Collies, Malinois. None of them really said to me "Yes! Go get a puppy now!"

When I switched daycares they seemed to have a wide scope of breeds, not majority labs like the other one I was working at. There was one dog, McGruff, who I really connected with. I worked the closing shift every night and he usually would be my only dog from 6:30ish - 7. I got bored of just playing ball with him and started teaching him tricks instead. Our bond was pretty much immediate. Everything about his character. embodies what a lab should be like (in my opinion). He's just a fantastic dog.

As time moved on, the majority of my favourite dogs were Labs. It's like a light bulb went on and "ah-ha!" this is my breed. Duke was one of the daycare dogs and I had known him since he was 14wks old. When his owner came to us and said that she would have to give him up (not enough time for him blah blah) I jumped on it pretty quick. Duke is a fantastic dog. He's not going to win any conformation show but I can't imagine my life without him. He has the desire to work with me, the awesome off switch but he will get up and go for hours if you desire too. He's perfect and I won't ever be without a lab or two.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'll let you know when I figure out what my breed IS

I found absolutely the right "dog" in Siri, but I'm not sure that we'll ever have another terrier (because I love my boyfriend or something ), and I don't think that I've found the right "breed" yet.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Obey the Toad.

Well, Sally kind of fell into our laps and when we agreed to get a second dog, I started looking at breeds. I originally wanted a ridgie, but Sally can be a bit of a jerk sometimes, so I decided we needed a very dog social, happy-go-lucky breed. We looked at flat coats, goldens, and labs. I was concerned about the cancer issue in flat coats, we decided goldens seemed a bit needy, so labs seemed like a good choice.

DH is really more of a sighthound person, but we will always have at least one lab (more if I can get him to agree). I love their social nature, I love a dog that retrieves and likes water, and I love that they are the SUVs of the dog world. Frankly I think they are a very underrated breed among "dog people."

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I'll let you know when I know.

Though Beaucerons are pretty high up on my list of thats MY breed. I love Zora's personality. I love the way she moves, her smarts and her affection. I'm actually extremly hesitant to get a dog NOW (I realllyyyy want a rescue, and we are looking into it, but there is no way no how we can have a beauceron right now) because I REALLY want a beauceron. So maybe, just maybe this is my breed.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for labradors though. We are looking into labrador rescues right now - and oh my, my heart is breaking.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

When I was a teenager we lived next door to someone who owned 3 Shar Pei and I really liked their dogs. Later when I was volunteering at the shelter we had a couple come through and I fell in love.

So when my SO met one at a dog event and really liked it the decision was made and we ended up with Menchi.

Watson was all me. I used to work at a boarding kennel and we had two clients with Basenjis... I adored those little guys. So when I got the chance to own one I jumped on it.

Also even though I currently do not have a cocker spaniel I still adore the breed and if the right one came along I would go for it. Cockers were a happy accident for me. A friend of my mother's had an oops litter and that is how I got my first one. After loosing my last grumpy old man in 2011 though I wanted to try some other breeds

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/