Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Original Twin

Default How did you decide on YOUR breed?

It's not a secret that most of us here have a set breed. Even a lot of the mixed breed owners prefer a certain type.

When my ex and I got together, about a decade ago, I had originally wanted a Doberman. He wasn't much of a dog person, but didn't like Dobermans because he thought they were "ghetto" and doesn't really care for crops. I had been admiring Malinois for quite a while, because all in all they seemed like a very versatile breed that seemingly could do just about everything, and do it well. But I took the "not for a beginner owner" warnings seriously and we finally decided on an Australian shepherd. While Django, the merle monster, was a good boy, we just never clicked, nor did I click with any Aussies that I met after that. Nice dogs, but just not quite the right fit for me.

Ryan wasn't really interested in most dog sports and since I had always wanted to do a dog sport, I started looking for dog sports that might appeal to him as well. The one sport that interested us both was Schutzhund. Lo and behold, it was also a sport that Malinois do well in.

Fast forwarding a bit, I met a woman who had Malinois and also did Schutzhund. I got to interact a lot with her dog and many other Malinois and finally had the opportunity to adopt Nico after about a year after I met her. I can't even precisely put into words how I just KNOW that it's the right breed, but I can't see myself having anything else (except maybe a Dutch at some point) because they are just such a good fit for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

Was looking for a laundry list of things in a breeder and potential future dog.
Found a breeder who did all those things and had dogs that perfectly exemplified the health/temperament I was looking for in a dog.
They happened to be a medium size and easy coat and a breed not usually affected by BSL

and they happened to be Australian Shepherds lol so here I am

tl;dr: I found the right breeder first, worried about breed later
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Silence, peasants.

I can't even remember when I decided I wanted a border collie...lots of years ago! I have looked at other herdy breeds but always felt like they lacked the bc traits I love. So, yes.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm All Ears

I love paps but I want other breeds.

My dogs are fun as heck and I adore them. It was my mom getting Beau that really set me on the breed for my small dog. He's fantastic. My apartment had a 20 lb weight limit so I couldn't get my Ibizan. I'm glad though as Ibizans wouldn't fit me so well.

The more I train them and the more I watch other breeds train, I love and appreciate them more. They have such infective enthusiasm, are so handler oriented, fun and happy, fast, and I could go on. They have an 'it' factor for me I can't describe. Some other breeds have it but most just don't to me. It doesn't hurt that they also happen to be a pretty popular/successful 'agility breed'.

I definitely want some more 20-40 lb dogs, but I don't imagine I'll ever get a small dog that is not a papillon. I like other small breeds but as far as owning? I think it will only be papillons. And I think I will always have at least one.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Well, I can't say I'm 100% a Chessie person. I love Abrams, and if all Chessies are like him I have to say I'd never be without one. But I also loved Blackie, and he was a Labrador. And if all Labradors were like him I'd never be without one.

But a good Retriever (aka, one like Blackie and Abrams ) will win me over any day.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I always thought I would be a mainly border collie person, but I'm definitely finding that Ibizans are a really great fit for me.

When I first started looking into Ibizans I wanted something elegant, even tempered and loyal, but also with somewhat higher energy since I like my dogs fairly bouncy, playful and ready to get up and go at a moments notice. I started looking into the sport of lure coursing and that interested me, but you had to have sighthounds to compete.

I started looking into different sighthound breeds, but was having trouble finding something that fit the energy I like in dogs. I wont say that the energy level is like that of a BC... it's a complete different type of energy... hard to explain. Anyways, I happened to see a photo of an Ibizan and thought they were insanely gorgeous animals. I was even more intrigued when I learned that they fit into the sighthound group even though they do hunt by more than just sight... this meant I could do lure coursing with an Ibizan though.

The more I learned about Ibizans the more I was intrigued. After meeting a few I knew they were for me. They are fun, bouncy, clownish and yet at the same time they are content to lie at your side (ok... moreso in your lap in Joey's case) and completely affectionate dogs.

They completely fit my bill of requirements. I was on a list for a puppy from a breeder who has dogs I absolutely LOVE. But.... Joey popped up on craigslist and I picked him up for Ibizan rescue to try to help out. I ended up falling in love and it was all uphill from there.

He has been an amazing dog. He has quirks and is one of the funniest dogs I've ever met. He's a major goofball, but a total lover boy at the same time. He's super loyal and really enjoys being nearby. He doesn't have to be all up in your grill, but he does like to remain nearby.

I love Ibizans so much I'm already planning for my second one in hopefully 2ish years. I'm also interested in showing them as well as lure coursing and I've met a ton of great people involved in the breed which has only solidified even more that I plan to stick with Ibizan Hounds.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

APBTs are my #1 breed of choice. I think I originally felt sorry for them because they were a picked on breed. But once I started researching them, I fell in love with everything else about them. Their temperaments, fun personalities, determination, versatile nature, willingness to please, and they can succeed in pretty much anything. I will never be without at least one in my house.

I did not choose Yorkshire Terriers. I adopted Bayleigh from the shelter I worked at. She was my first and only foster failure. I love her and everything about her. She's a true terrier through and through. I wanted a purebred Yorkie as I think she leans more toward their personality. The new puppy is pretty much a copy of Bayleigh. I'm in love! When my current two dogs are gone, who knows if I'll get another. I have a lot of breeds on my "want list."

I also really love Great Danes. I don't know why I originally fell for them. Probably their looks. But if they are all like my Kaiser, I would have a hundred of them! I miss my boy every day. He was fun and goofy and very lovable. I will have more in my future. Preferably another rescue senior.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
orange iguanas.

Pretty simple. Got Molly, fell in love. Lol we had been looking for a dog for a long time, and every time we'd go meet one, it just wasn't the right fit. Went to go visit Molly (rescue ad in the newspaper), made a snap decision to just take her home and see how it went, and well... the rest is history. Now we have Juno, my sister has a boxer, my brother has 2... the whole family just fell in love.

Heck, even the neighbors across the street fell in love with boxers because of Molly. They finally just got on of their own.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure I have a 'breed' yet. Picking up Jackson required essentially no thought process on my part. I wanted a dog. It had to be small. And non shedding due to step-dads allergies. I really really lucked out with Jackson because he's truly the perfect dog for me and we are an amazing fit. Not sure I'd take that gamble again though without doing more research, finding the right breeder, the right dog, etc. It could've gone horribly wrong.

I teeter totter now with a few other breeds. I really think Border Terriers could be 'my' breed for sure though. But I guess I'll judge once I have one. I also think I could be extremely happy with a Border Collie but I'd be very picky where I got one.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Lord Cynical

By accident.

I originally was looking into Greyhounds, but they just weren't clicking. A co-worker of mine had a Doberman, and I thought he was gorgeous and terrifying. I didn't grow up in the best neighborhood, so I wanted a dog that would be territorial and at least put on a good show if someone broke in. So I got a Doberman.

The breed was perfect for me from the get-go. I like their versatility, their appearance, their temperament... everything. I'm hooked for life.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)