Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Adding a puppy to a grumpy dog (lol)

Has anyone had experience with this? My two are so-so with other dogs. They get to where they like them but aren't dog-park type dogs.

I think I am overthinking though. They got to where they tolerated Ada even though she was scrappy and a very forward/physical kind of dog. They hang out with friends' dogs generally well as long as the friends' dogs respect them. My friend's poodle mix though got an earful when he kept trying to tackle them. Luckily he is one to heed their communication pretty well and left them alone afterwards and all was good and they went back to hanging out again.

Summer got through puppy Mia as well even though Summer is not the most dog-friendly either. I know plenty of other people who have added puppies to 'fun police' type dogs too and it went fine.

Anyways, thought I'd ask what your procedure was (if any?).
Old 09-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Macky is the grumpy type too. It takes her a long time to like new dogs, especially puppies. We just basically "protect" her from puppies and try to keep her from feeling the need to correct them, and enforce boundaries early. We also are careful never to punish her for asking for space (she's noisy but very harmless) because it just makes her feel more insecure. And we expect puppies to respect her corrections and will back them up if necessary.

You have good dog sense, I am really sure your two will be fine. Maybe a little horrified but ultimately fine.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I am sure Mia will not be pleased initially. Poor thing.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

I added a puppy to our pack last fall. Well, not really a pack, just to my one other dog. Summit was 7.5 at the time. He likes other dogs and I had seen him with puppies before and he tolerated them really well. He does not, however, like dogs that jump all over him and is quick to tell them off. And he has been a great teacher for the pup (who just turned 13 months). He told her off when she deserved it but in a very appropriate manner. I'm honestly not sure how we would have survived the puppy without Summit! She's also made him way more playful now, which is great because he's not getting any younger. And she ADORES him. She knows his name as well as her own, and when I call him she books it in his direction.

Some dogs are not good with puppies though. My boss couldn't get a puppy because his one dog attacked anything small than him. But if it's just a matter of "fun police" or "grumpy" I think most dogs can adjust and/or be managed.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:51 PM
orange iguanas.

It went rather smoothly here, but I think it depends on the type of grumpasaurus that you're dealing with lol. Lucy can be in the presence of other dogs as long as they don't bug her - she doesn't just outright go on the defensive. So bringing in Juno was fine, from day 1 we just worked on establishing that she needs to leave Lucy be. Same went for the cat. As long as they're not being chased or boxed in the head they're pretty happy. If all goes well we're adding a puppy this winter, and that's really the last thing I'm worried about!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I know plenty of other people who have added puppies to 'fun police' type dogs too and it went fine.

Anyways, thought I'd ask what your procedure was (if any?).
Boo is very much a "fun police" dog. She doesn't like dogs that are all over her (I think they frighten her) and has a thing for wanting to chase down playing dogs to get them to stop playing. Yet she is pretty darn awesome with the foster puppies that I've brought home. I'm not sure if it's the "puppy exception" or if it's because they don't scare her the way a big, adult dog would, but with puppies, she's not nasty. She tells them off when need be, but she is an excellent nanny dog. It takes a few days before she's comfortable enough to let them climb on her and otherwise be irritating little scoundrels, but even when we first bring them home, she's done nothing but snark when they bother her.

Maybe yours would be the same?

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I just lay ground rules off the bat and don't let the puppy overwhelm whoever needs space. Interactions are monitored until I know that Newbie has figured out the ground rules and respects the older dog's signals, and that the older dogs are giving appropriate signals and not over-reacting.

But then that is true no matter whether Newbie is a puppy or an adult, and whether the resident dog is pro- or anti-puppy. It's just easier to put in the effort to get everyone off to a good start from day one than to try to fix a bad first impression.

At least in my limited experience.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Mine are definitely defensive and not aggressive- they'd never start anything but they don't like new dogs right off the bat. They do (especially Summer) seem to give a bit of a puppy license. Mia hasn't really been around many puppies though. She really likes to instigate all first interactions with other dogs.

She is odd though that if the other dog is somewhat timid, she doesn't like to listen to their signs to back off either.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

My dogs are ambivalent towards other dogs. But they're fine with newcomers. I don't allow new puppies to be pushy towards them and they're always allowed their space.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

I brought Gusto in with Meg, who is defensive/reactive, tends to guard me and the house from other dogs, and does not like bouncy, pushy play. Her pluses are that she has never truly gone after a dog (no punctures or anything, just a lot of noise and teeth) and that she does tolerate puppies very well.

And honestly, it went fantastically. I trusted Meg's corrections would be appropriate, and mostly let them work things out once I had carefully observed for a few days. I would occasionally push Gusto away myself if Meg was cuddling with me and he wouldn't back off at her cues. She played really well and frequently with him until he was probably 5 or 6 months old. She doesn't really play with him as much now that he's an adult, but he still tries and she is still appropriate in telling him to back off.

He's got some of the most phenomenal dog skills I've ever seen, and I have no idea how much I credit to Meg, but I do give her some. It's not all "nature", as his littermate is not wonderful with most dogs. He will dive head first into play with bouncy retrievers, quietly and softly play with small dogs or young puppies, and is always polite and respectful to dogs who want their space. Friends frequently request him as a playmate for everything from tiny toy breed puppies to grouchy middle-aged females who won't play with any other dog. While I'd never have let him truly pester Meg, nor let her really be mean to him, I think it is important that he learned from another dog what meant "okay, let's play" and what meant "I said back off".

And even though he's no longer protected under the "I'm a puppy, the rules don't apply" clause, she is incredibly comfortable with him. He can climb all over her and sleep on top of her when she's tolerant, and quickly moves away when she says it is enough. I never worry about them interacting anymore.