Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfPets View Post

I don't go to the doctor unless I'm sick or injured, I don't see why he should have to.
Just wanted to comment on this. Even with a limited vaccine protocol, I think it is VERY important to have your pets seen annually by a veterinarian. Things that you may not pick up on due to a gradual change your vet will see as a red flag. Prevention is the best medicine, and catching things before they become a devastating disease process is very important. You wouldn't in now how many people finally come in the door after 5 years to get their cat vaccinated and we have to tell them their cat is dying of kidney failure.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Just wanted to comment on this. Even with a limited vaccine protocol, I think it is VERY important to have your pets seen annually by a veterinarian. Things that you may not pick up on due to a gradual change your vet will see as a red flag. Prevention is the best medicine, and catching things before they become a devastating disease process is very important. You wouldn't in now how many people finally come in the door after 5 years to get their cat vaccinated and we have to tell them their cat is dying of kidney failure.
Yeah, this!

While I do not and will not give yearly vaccines, I still like to bring him in at least once a year for a checkup.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri is due this month for her 1 year Rabies and DHPP. She will get both, but after that she will not have distemper again. I may titer if I get flack for not, but otherwise we'll just call it good for the foreseeable future. She will be updated on Rabies every 3 years per the law.

I haven't been asked about vaccines for any classes I have taken (locally everyone seems to be on the up and up about vaccines around here) and our boarding facility is all about limited vaccines and even suggests against bordetella. Love them!

Up to this point Frodo has had DHPP every 3 years, but I won't vaccinate him for it again. He will also continue to get Rabies every 3 years per the law.

ETA: I am a huge supporter of yearly exams for animals. At the clinic I work at we do every 6 months for senior dogs. Frodo will go in every 6 months now because of his age, and will most likely have senior wellness bloodwork run at each visit as long as I can afford it. Siri will go in once a year, and get junior wellness bloodwork run as long as I can afford it. It's a small price to pay for an early diagnosis!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of things we catch with our yearly vaccine exams, where maybe the owners didn't notice anything going on, or maybe they noticed some small symptoms but didn't think anything of it. The biggest one is heart murmurs, where the owner might mention "ya know, recently he's been coughing now and then, but not a lot...." and suddenly we're doing bloodwork and x-rays to assess the heart during this "wellness visit"!

I'll admit, I wouldn't bring my pets in for yearly exams if I didn't work at a clinic. But especially with a boxer, I like to have someone else feel her over for lumps and bumps and listen to her heart. Because I don't usually pull out my stethoscope just for funsies lol.

And I am still brainstorming a good way to approach my boss on the "why are we still vaccinating for distemper annually" subject

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
And I am still brainstorming a good way to approach my boss on the "why are we still vaccinating for distemper annually" subject
That's crazy to me!

Are you guys an AAHA hospital? The protocol has been 3 years for quite a long time now. I can't even believe some people are vaccinating yearly still.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
That's crazy to me!

Are you guys an AAHA hospital? The protocol has been 3 years for quite a long time now. I can't even believe some people are vaccinating yearly still.
Nope we're not AAHA. The funny thing to me is that the vets I work with aren't even "old"... they graduated in like 2002 and 2007. And to me vaccinating annually is SO outdated, like I think they should be more on the up-and-up when it comes to that!

The only time we make distemper good for 3 years is if it's a senior animal who's a homebody and doesn't do dog parks/boarding/grooming etc. "Low risk."

Just gotta gather my facts lol and see what their reasoning is for doing it annually. Part of me wonders if it's just a way to get people coming in every year.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

I pretty sure pushing yearly vaccinations is the way they try and get people in for yearly check ups.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Part of me wonders if it's just a way to get people coming in every year.
Part of the reason that we stagger vaccines is so that between rabies and distemper vaccines, we'll see the pet at least two out of three years. Plus the doctors prefer fewer vaccines at one time. We have some dogs who get five different vaccines (rabies, distemper, lyme, kennel cough, and influenza). That's a whole freaking lot of vaccines....
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Shipping blood is what kills me when I look at running a distemper or parvo titer! I would so much rather do that than vaccinate, but in the past I've chosen to just vaccinated limitedly.

I don't know what I'll actually do with Gabby now. She had Rabies, DHPP, and Bordetella as required by the rescue when she was still a foster. So I don't need to worry about anything for at least two years. Maybe then it will cost less money to send in a titer? Or maybe they'll have something new?

My dogs see the a veterinarian very regularly lately!
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM
orange iguanas.

Yeah titers are crazy expensive! I've had people want to titer, but when they hear the price go oh j/k we'll just vaccinate.