Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Just saliva?

Weird.
Yup. I know. Very weird.

As far as the rabies vaccine goes...it doesn't mean that if you get bitten, you don't need treatment. When an unvaccinated person gets bitten, they receive four doses of the vaccine spaced apart, plus an immunoglobulin injection. If you're vaccinated, you just get two doses, no immunoglobulin.

The rabies vaccine is three doses (day zero, day 7, day 21/28), costs an arm and a leg, and hurts like hell. They say you should get titered every few years, and many employers will ask for it. I've never known anyone that's needed a second vaccine. I have instructor vets at school who got their vaccine 20+ years ago and still have high titres. Mine was done over two years ago and I still have high titers.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Obey the Toad.

So I called my doctor and he recommended immediately starting the rabies shots until we heard about the cat for sure. They don't have it at the office so we're off to the ER...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM
such sights to show you

Generally speaking, if you get bitten or scratched on an extremity you should have time for the test to come back before you have to start the post-exposure stuff. BUT it depends on how fast the lab is, how busy they are, etc. Doesn't hurt to be safe.

I didn't think that the pre-exposure vaccines were that bad. They're interdermal (at least when I got mine they were), and my doctor's office at the time had the allergy nurse give them because she was best at interdermal injections, so maybe that's why? I don't remember them hurting at all, and my insurance at the time covered it. Yay me!

I've been told by multiple doctors that they pretty much last forever. I've occasionally had titers done (my state professional association offers it yearly, fairly inexpensively) and I am always off the charts, and mine would have been done somewhere around 1995 or 1996. I'm required by work to get a titer done every so many years, which I don't remember offhand but I think is 2 or 3. Anyway... /ramble

Old 09-25-2013, 06:40 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I'm confused. Why do you guys have to titre? Have you been exposed before? Why does your work require it? Maybe it's just because rabies is so rare here.

Auto correct sucks

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
I'm confused. Why do you guys have to titre? Have you been exposed before? Why does your work require it? Maybe it's just because rabies is so rare here.
It's an occupational hazard for me, I'm a veterinarian.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post

I didn't think that the pre-exposure vaccines were that bad. They're interdermal (at least when I got mine they were), and my doctor's office at the time had the allergy nurse give them because she was best at interdermal injections, so maybe that's why? I don't remember them hurting at all, and my insurance at the time covered it. Yay me!
I was talking about post-exposure rabies vaccines. They suck. I don't know if it's still the same, I was a kid when we had to get rabies shots.

The entire thing sucked. It was a big fiasco/mess. We were 99% sure the dog didn't have rabies but the testing was not able to be done because they sent the head to the wrong lab and then it got ruined. So we had to go through all the post exposure stuff as though the dog had rabies anyways.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I was talking about post-exposure rabies vaccines.
Oh, duh. *facepalm*

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Occupational hazards. It's a good idea if you're working with animals that have a questionable vaccination history - veterinary clinic, animal shelter, wildlife rehabilitation, zoos, etc. You titer to determine adequate protection so you don't have to get vaccinated again - it's way cheaper. The cost for me for the three initial injections was like $900, and the insurance brought it down to about $250 after we argued about it. My last (well, only) titer I only paid like $40 or $50.

The injection itself wasn't painful for me, it was after. I had a ton of pain in my whole arm, the injection site was red and swollen, and I ran a fever for a day or two. Blech.

ETA: The nurse/medical assistant that gave me the second injection told me when she walked in the room that she had never given a rabies vaccination before (we had to have the clinic order it because they didn't normally stock it), and asked me if the first one hurt? I said not initially, but I had a reaction afterwards. Her response? "Oh, that's a shame, since it's so pretty and pink!"
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yah, I had to stock the vaccines at home, and bring then to my doctor.

My doctor was pretty ****ing clueless, sucked at needles. Even though, it wasnt really the injection that hurt, but Ifelt sick a few days later, and my arm was sore to move.

And yah, had to get it for educational/occupational hazards. Even though rabies isn't commonhere (though, there was like 3 rrabies cases at my vet last month, which was quite alarming.)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It's an occupational hazard for me, I'm a veterinarian.
I didn't know you were a vet.

I got bitten by a stray cat when I was 7. I had to start the vaccinations until they could trap and test the cat. Turned out the cat did indeed have rabies.

As much as I can remember, I had been feeding it and one day, as I was out in my driveway, I just ran up to me and latched onto my arm. I rme,beer freaking out as it sink all four canines into my arm and scratched the crap out of my hand. I have nasty scars from it. My mom saw it happen, and she said it was just weird.

Since it was right smack in the middle of the 80's, the vaccines were done in the stomach. Those had me crying just as much as the bite.