Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Rabies?

So now my dad has me a bit concerned that I may at risk for rabies from this cat scratch. I have a tetnas shot already, should I be doing anything about the rabies possibility? They are sending the stray cats head to be tested for rabies...

ETA: I'm pretty positive the cats blood got in my scratches...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Note: if you have any medical concern at all, I would speak with your physician.

That being said, I think it is highly unlikely the cat was rabid. I'm sure it's possible...but, the last thing on my mind when I get scratched/bit by an animal is that it is rabid. I'd be much more worried about the scratches getting infected, or even cat scratch fever.

That also being said: I'm pretty sure humans can have a rabies vaccine. May be an option?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yah, I wouldn't be terribly worried about rabies, but I'd get it checked put and possibly put on antibiotics, cat scratches can get nasty fast.

As far as the rabies vaccine for humans, unless theres another one, it's a pre-exposure vaccine, and if you are infected with rabies, you still need to go through treatment.. It juat shortens the treatment time.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Yah, I wouldn't be terribly worried about rabies, but I'd get it checked put and possibly put on antibiotics, cat scratches can get nasty fast.

As far as the rabies vaccine for humans, unless theres another one, it's a pre-exposure vaccine, and if you are infected with rabies, you still need to go through treatment.. It juat shortens the treatment time.
Yep. Went to Tanzanua last month and that's what I read and was told by the doc at the travel clinic... If you have no vaccination you must immediately (within 24 hours I think) get an immunoglobulin injection plus some more shots. With prior vaccine you save yourself the immunoglobulin shot. The vaccination costs hundreds, needs to be given over a period of a month or more and only lasts five years or so. I think I got that right but don't quote me. The jist is in a developed country i think it's very unlikely that the cat had rabies and infected you and a human rabies vaccination is not worth it in most cases. If it happened within a day and you're really worried you could look into the immunoglobulin/shot treatment but I bet it's hella pricey and not covered unless the results come back and the cat is found to be rabid. They don't even recommend them if you're going to an area that actually has rabies UNLESS you plan to work with critters.

I, personally, would not worry about it (logically anyways). Next time you go for a drive, however...
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Behavior Nerd

Talk to your doctor tomorrow and stay in touch with the vet on the test results - they should be back pretty fast.

From this site: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/type.html

Quote:
The contamination of open wounds, abrasions, mucous membranes, or theoretically, scratches (potentially contaminated with infectious material from a rabid animal) constitutes a nonbite exposure.

Nonbite exposures from terrestrial animals rarely cause rabies. However, occasional reports of rabies transmission by nonbite exposures suggest that such exposures should be evaluated for possible postexposure prophylaxis administration.

Other contact by itself, such as petting a rabid animal and contact with blood, urine, or feces of a rabid animal, does not constitute an exposure and is not an indication for postexposure vaccination.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm All Ears

I would wait for the rabies test on the cat's head to come back. We had to get rabies shots when I was a kid because they botched up the test. Rabies shots SUCK.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

The likelihood of it being rabid is likely pretty low (you should be able to find stats on your area and the incidents of rabies in various species). Since you were "only" scratched and bled upon, I'd be even less worried.

If they are sending out the cat for analysis, they should get results very quickly. (the sample has to be shipped by overnight service and the labs get those results very quickly). The last few samples we've had to send out (very rare, but we had two just recently) came back in a few days
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Yep. Went to Tanzanua last month and that's what I read and was told by the doc at the travel clinic... If you have no vaccination you must immediately (within 24 hours I think) get an immunoglobulin injection plus some more shots. With prior vaccine you save yourself the immunoglobulin shot. The vaccination costs hundreds, needs to be given over a period of a month or more and only lasts five years or so. I think I got that right but don't quote me. The jist is in a developed country i think it's very unlikely that the cat had rabies and infected you and a human rabies vaccination is not worth it in most cases. If it happened within a day and you're really worried you could look into the immunoglobulin/shot treatment but I bet it's hella pricey and not covered unless the results come back and the cat is found to be rabid. They don't even recommend them if you're going to an area that actually has rabies UNLESS you plan to work with critters.

I, personally, would not worry about it (logically anyways). Next time you go for a drive, however...
Yep. I think it cost me $562 (some was covered by private insurance but not all), was 3 shots, one every... 3 weeks, I think? It says it covers for 5 years, but you titre after that, some people can do it once and never need to be revaccinated because it lasts their life.

I wouldn't suggest it, unless you're constantly around unvaccinated animals that are mean. the vaccines themselves aren't pleasant. At all.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

I forgot to note that Rabies is not transmitted through blood.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I forgot to note that Rabies is not transmitted through blood.
Just saliva?

Weird.