Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 AM
Big Dog

Default Traditional Shar Pei. Really? Indulge me!

So my whole plan was that when I get another dog, it would be an easy one. Not easy care - I want a dog that is up for running and hiking and all sorts of training... But I mean biddable. No likelihood of DR/DA. Excellent agility prospect was my main idea. Something likely to have great health and an exceptional lifespan. I'll probably still go that route (going to make another thread about the breed I'm actually seriously considering,) but I'm on a big time Shar Pei kick for some odd reason. WTH? I love researching different breeds, so I figure I might as well read up on them while I'm at it.

I don't like the overdone Americanized dogs, though some of the slimmer meat mouths are alright... but OMG the traditional ones are gorgeous! I'm not sure why I wouldn't just go with an APBT or similar if I was going to take on the potential for things like DA again, but I can't get over how awesome some of these dogs seem to be.

There's someone in Greece doing IPO with at least one of hers, and it's really impressive. That's not something I was interested in before, but it might be if I learned more about it first, if there's even a reliable club in AK (though I may be living in Oregon by the time I get Next Dog.)

I like the idea of taking the breed back to its roots, and I'm sick of Americans ruining every animal they get their mits on until they are seen as teddy bears rather than serious working dogs.

Anyone met a traditional Pei? Comparisons of health and temperament? Know of any good breeders in the US?

I really enjoyed this article: http://www.kynon.gr/en/node/70

And check out this guy! He is GORGEOUS! Like a bronze statue: http://kennellonfumun.kotisivukone.com/7

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12

Last edited by Sparrow; 08-23-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Top Dog

I haven't met any, but those dogs still don't have rear angulation, so I don't think they'd be very suitable for agility. While the type looks overall more healthy that the exaggerated show dogs, the structure doesn't look very sound.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Big Dog

Wow they really don't have any rear angle at all!!!!

Yeah, I would be worried about torn ligaments and psoas injuries in a dog like that.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Vizsla mom

Can I just say that doesn't look ANYTHING like Shar Peis I'm used to seeing!!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Glutton for Crazy

If you're taking a pei back to its roots why would you expect them to be free of aggression?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

Romy knows some about bonemouth shar peis, I think her brother had one? I really like them, but doubt they're the dog for me. Or the dog for someone pursuing agility, but they can certainly participate in other sports, if you're flexible.

Adrienne, I wasn't under the impression she thought a more traditional shar pei would be less prone to DA, just that it might be worth dealing with in such an interesting working breed.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

I have met one, i wouldn't call them biddable though, some can be convinced that what you want is what they want, some of the time, but for the most part they tend to be more like Chows and Shibas, it could happen today...then tomorrow nope.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

There is a Traditional Shar Pei group on FB and you can go ask the folk on the Shar Pei forums about them if you like there are quite a few knowledgable people there (also I believe there may be a few traditional shar pei threads around there).

I do not think that temperament wise the traditional dogs differ very much from the westernized ones.

I love my Pei but she definitely has a head of her own at times. She is actually a lot more willing to humor me on the training front than most of her kind I think

They are characters... I love their quirky personalities.

Be aware the traditional lines are not free of some of the serious health issues that are prevalent in the breed any more than the western dogs.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
and I'm sick of Americans ruining every animal they get their mits on until they are seen as teddy bears rather than serious working dogs.
Really?
Every animal?
THOSE DARN AMERICANS! THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS AMERICA!
come on now. seriously. Yes, breeds change, the AKC has a large hand in that, but it's hardly all negative and it is hardly the fault of all the "americans" for making it so lol sorry, just kind of made me laugh.

That said, taking back "to their roots" from the very little that I've read, means a sharpei with a more traditional/territorial temperament (read: potential for aggression) and perhaps more likelyhood of DA/DR..

I would also, just looking at the dog you linked, perhaps proceed with caution when it comes to agility and a dog of that structure..

that's really all I know. Good luck on your pup search!

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
- I want a dog that is up for running and hiking and all sorts of training... But I mean biddable. No likelihood of DR/DA.
That would tell me a pei, while possible, isn't the ideal fit.

That's all I meant, further I actually expect a pei at its roots to be more aggressive, we Americans have a fancy for watering down and lessening the aggression.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.