Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

Kind of a mixture. We were feeding Acana Duck & Pear for a while -- he does well on it. We also have been feeding Go! and Now! every now and again. We had a bag of Dr. Tim's GF in between there too and still have some of that left. I like to experiment a bit, and see what he does best on. He definitely did horrible on Fromm (ate it for 7 months or so, not happy with results) so no more of that.

He definitely seems to do best on Acana Singles and NOW (I prefer Now over Go, too). Overall I think I've discovered he does best on moderate protein/fat, and maybe not so complicated formulas (only one or two sources of meat, etc). So I try to find simple-ish formulas but still with enough protein/fat since he is so active.

I don't do many extras -- he just gets canned food usually for dinner (it's always Weruva or Cesar if I'm being cheap), occasionally he gets a squirt of salmon oil when I remember, and I sprinkle some Wysong Dentatreat on his food. Treats are almost always Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits (soft ones) and I rotate thru flavors.

So anyway currently he is eating Now GF Small Breed.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Tucker is on Taste of the Wild (high prairie) with Wellness stew wet food. The only other kibble he's been on was Acana (wild prairie) but we took him off after a few months because his gas was horrendous and disrupted our happiness lol. I'd personally like to experiment a bit more to find a food where his poop isn't so gross (Phoebe who eats Pedigree has firmer, less odoriferous poop than him and that sort of bothers me), but he's really my parents' dog. His poop isn't super loose or anything, so it's not uncomfortable for him, and the price is good, his coat is good, and my dad hates change. So TOTW it is!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Right now, they're both eating Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream puppy formula.

But, I will be buying a bag of 4Health Salmon and Potato after this bag is up, due to cost being an issue and the fact that I've fed it before and they did great on it, and that is what my mom's two dogs are on and they do great on it as well. Now that Abrams isn't a wee baby puppy anymore, I'm less concerned about feeding an adult-only formula as I was before.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Authority Rice and Lamb. Cheap enough but not total garbage and we are happy , get it a petsmart.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Whatever is nice quality and on sale. Wesley and Cleo are still on the Go! from that accidental dirt cheap PetcareRX sale, and puppy will be on puppy fromm, courtesy of chaz member's basement food, and then probably various foods, once again, depending on what is good/on sale.
*snort*

Hudson gets fed whatever catches my eye on that trip to the store.

I just finished a bag of Fromm Adult and just opened up a bag of Wellness Simple. I've done Wellness Core, Earthborn, etc.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Skye and Zoie get Earthborn Bison 90% of the time, Romeo gets BB Wilderness weight control, and the rest of the dogs get Blue Buffalo, Canidae, sometimes Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild. If I actually have to purchase food I go for Fromm.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Show Dog

Just a few weeks ago I started feeding partial raw so still transitioning into it but going well so far. He's getting Fromm beef and veg grain free in the AM and raw in the PM.

The last couple bags of kibble before the beef and veg where a rotation of grain inclusive Fromm formulas. He did great on the pork and applesauce, bad on the duck, okay on the salmon. Before that we've rotated through just about all the TotW and Earthborne formulas and he did well.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

I should say that I haven't found a food I don't feel the need to supplement. Raw or kibble, I add in some type of oil. Right now I'm using up some free Cod Liver Oil I got on Courage and Rascal (the only two that will eat food 'contaminated' with it, or in Buzz's case-Cod isn't recommended for dogs with kidney issues) and using the new Grizzly Pollock Oil for Buzz, Gaby, and Rasza. Bailey's been getting capsules lately due to the convenience of capsule vs oil.

I also love, love, love the effects I see with Solid Gold SeaMeal, so everyone but Buzz (allergic) and Courage get that as well.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

I am currently feeding Diamond Naturals. In the very recent past, I've fed ProPlan, Go!, and Hill's Ideal Balance.

My dogs did well on everything but Go!. I've tried a few premium brands over the years and I always wind up with stinky, itchy, flaky dogs.
my delicate little flower

Old 09-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Lord Cynical

Raw, but last week we fed kibble (Merrick B.G.) because our raw supplier was backed up and didn't have our order ready on time.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)