Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

This is a really good site that helps explain what to expect at different kitten ages. http://www.forgottenfelines.com/v4/f...otbabies.shtml

My fosters are around 3 weeks now (going by 1lb per 1month) and they've now cut their teeth, and I'm now offering them Royal Canin Babycat 34. It's specifically made for kittens 0-4 months that are no longer with their Mum, and its teeennny tiny for their little months. I offer that and a small saucer of formula while I'm feeding the other kits.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Just for future reference....I don't recommend the Hartz milk replacer. I've been told by numerous people (vets and a breeder) that it has been known to cause some gastrointestinal issues in the wee ones. Best bet for a readily available formula is the KMR.

Also, an awesome dry food for weaning kittens is the Babycat food by Royal Canin. Tiny wee baby kibbles for tiny wee baby kittens! And I agree that you don't have to cut out the moist food.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Big Mutts

Thanks Merico, my babies both have Uri so we bought 9 lives because the shelter recommended the smellier the better they'd eat. Penny wouldn't eat or drink for a while I had to force feed her the milk. Will definitely check out that site, I've been googling like crazy but haven't seen that one yet.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Big Mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Just for future reference....I don't recommend the Hartz milk replacer. I've been told by numerous people (vets and a breeder) that it has been known to cause some gastrointestinal issues in the wee ones. Best bet for a readily available formula is the KMR.

Also, an awesome dry food for weaning kittens is the Babycat food by Royal Canin. Tiny wee baby kibbles for tiny wee baby kittens! And I agree that you don't have to cut out the moist food.
Thanks Blackrose, when we finish off this bottle I'll check in to KMR.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
Thanks Blackrose, when we finish off this bottle I'll check in to KMR.
If you'll be stopping the formula soon, I honestly wouldn't bother switching it. I accidentally (didn't know at the time) switched the brand of my kittens formulas and they got nasty diarrhea because of it. But if you do switch, do it gradually so to avoid tummy issues.

Also with the wet food, kittens that age should only really be getting pate, in chicken flavor only. There are a few other flavors they can have as well, but I'll have to get back to you on which ones.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Big Mutts

Thanks Merico, right now ours are eating all kinds of flavors.
Noted about no formula switching also, will remember KMR for next time, if we do this again.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Re: the canned food... I was told all canned food is fine, but the fish based stuff makes kitten stink! Hahaha. I just picked some up for my fosters today (all poultry based) and they loved the stuff. Between that and their kibble they didn't each much of tonight's formula, maybe 5cc each if that.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Big Mutts

Thanks Merico...ours gobble up any wet food.