Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Breed first, for me. But there are definitely certain groups I tend to like more (working and herding) and others I could never see myself owning (sporting, toy etc).
Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Resident fainting goat

Come to think of it, there isn't a single group (other than terriers) that I wouldn't have a dog from or that doesn't contain a breed I've actively sought out at one point in my life.

A few years working with dogs has taught me that terriers are not my niche and my frustrations with them is found in the very core of what makes them "terriers" lol so I tend to stay away.. but other than that, the groups don't mean much to me, it's about individual breeds in there.

especially when it comes to working/non-working I feel like there is so many different types present
Old 09-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Ummm, I mean, I definitely have groups that I like a lot of dogs in, and then groups I'd probably never own a dog from. I know I'll never desire to own a dog from the hound group. Me and hound dogs just... don't mesh. And I don't even know why specifically, we just don't. And basically none out of sporting except maybe a Golden Retriever someday. No desire for any non-sporting either.

The only groups I am really interested in would be toy, herding and terrier. But only a specific few out of each. So I'd say I choose breed first, between those 3 groups? lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've really always just considered breed - BUT, I do know that most hounds and terriers are not my cup of tea. I'm more of a sporting/working type person.

That being said, I've grown up with Retrievers (and mixes thereof) and know the generic retriever personality/traits. And I know that I really like a good Retriever. So, when I was looking at potential breeds, I waffled back and forth between a few different types, but in the end I gravitated back to the Retrievers because that is what I grew up with.

I would one day love to confuse the heck out of people and have a chocolate Lab, a brown Chessie, and a liver Curlie. (And why Labs are chocolate, Chessies are brown, and Curlies are liver when they are all the same shade, I have no idea.)

I have similar tastes in dogs as my vet. We like Retrievers, a few other sporting dogs (some spaniels/pointers), and big ol' dopey knuklehead Rottie/Bully/Mastiff-y type dogs. Why those seem to mix well together, I have no idea. LOL

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

I like herding dogs a lot. There's a few breeds outside the herding group I'd be interested in, and a lot of individual dogs, but I'd be happy with the right dog from almost any herding breed.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Breed. Then I started exploring type.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I would one day love to confuse the heck out of people and have a chocolate Lab, a brown Chessie, and a liver Curlie. (And why Labs are chocolate, Chessies are brown, and Curlies are liver when they are all the same shade, I have no idea.)
I would totally die laughing if I saw that out and about. You should add in a liver Flatcoat too.

And I'd totally do the same thing if I was really a retriever person.

I chose breed first. Then discovered I do mesh better with breeds from the same group as the first breed I chose. (GSDs) I like the herderbrains. I don't mind having a good retriever around either. They tend to make the herderbeasts take themselves a little less seriously.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I would totally die laughing if I saw that out and about. You should add in a liver Flatcoat too.
I can just picture people thinking that the Lab and the Curly had a baby, and it was the Chessie. (Although I shudder to think the breed guesses the Curly would get. Abrams gets mistaken for a Labradoodle, I can't imagine what would happen with a Curly.)

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Breed first. Terriers are definitely my favorite group in general. I love their personalities and that's what I look for in a dog. I love so many different breeds though, it's hard for me to say one way or another on a whole group. And even within that group, the dogs can vary so much.

My 3 favorite breeds are in the terrier, working, and herding groups. I'll likely stick with these breeds (APBT, Great Dane, Kelpie [hopefully]) throughout my life unless the random shelter dog happens in there somewhere. Then again, I do love having a small dog, even though I didn't think I would.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Not a Border Collie

Breed is definitely what I look at first. I just so happens that 90% of the breeds I'm interested in are in the herding group, though. I've only ever had one non-herder from an entire childhood with multi-dogs and foster dogs.

There are certain non-herders that I'm interested in though. If I ever get up to 3 dogs, I would like my third to be a little easier going. I'm considering Whippets, Cavs, or a shelter mutt I would also, in the future, consider a JRT again or perhaps a Papillon.

Quinn - English Shepherd