Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Twin 2

Default Breed Group or Breed

I'm sitting at work bored and musing and thought this might make an interesting thread.

When you are deciding (or when you decided) on a breed of dog to get did you first pick a group (Herding, sighthound, retriever etc.) and from there narrow down a breed or did you have a breed picked out first without regard to the group type?

If you picked out type first, what made you decide on that grouping of dogs and what made you narrow it down to the breed you got?

And in the same vain, are you with future dogs going to stay within the same breed group or venture out to other groups?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Wild At Heart

I've always loved the sporting group, just because we tend to get along well. I love the goofy personalities and energy.

Harleigh, whatever she may be, is the perfect match for me. Though she could be a little less stubborn haha

As far as future dogs, I'll probably stay in the sporting group (Labs and Vizslas probably, lol). Though there are other breeds that I've looked into

Harleigh <3
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Breed first. As it happens most of the breeds I like are in the herding group though. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm All Ears

Paps no. I just like them.
Nextdog I wanted a herder/collie family first. I love that group.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
such sights to show you

Honestly, although there are groups and breeds I tend to gravitate towards (generally working and sporting groups), I tend to fall in love with random individual dogs. Although I have tentative plans for Alaskans in the future, I suspect I'll follow my pattern mostly.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Breed first. Although I'm 99% sure I'll never own a toy or non-sporting dog. There are some groups I like more breeds from than others, but it still goes by breed.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 PM
orange iguanas.

We fell into boxers, there was definitely no thought put into it. Working breeds are some of my favorites though, obviously I love boxers but I adore dobes and rotties too.

However no, I never look at group when looking at dogs. Honestly I usually go by looks first and then research to see if it's a breed I should be interested in.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-14-2013, 01:23 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Breed first for me. Seeing as my guys are Non-Sporting in the US but they are bred for hunting as gundogs (and are used for water retrieves as well), the group doesn't really mean anything. And in FCI they are Nordic Hunting Dogs and in the Canadian Kennel Club they are in the Hound group. In terms of future different breeds, I would probably either gravitate towards an individual dog (I've become a BIT enamored with some Shelties I've met lately.......) or maybe another type of Northern/Spitz breed since I prefer that look (like Buhunds).

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 09-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

Breeder first honestly lol wasn't that into aussies and am not, typically, into the herding group personality type.

But usually breed first! The group to me doesn't mean much..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 PM
& the Muttly Crew

When you are deciding (or when you decided) on a breed of dog to get did you first pick a group (Herding, sighthound, retriever etc.) and from there narrow down a breed or did you have a breed picked out first without regard to the group type?

Personality/body type first for me. Which tends to narrow it down to certain breeds pretty quickly. I don't care what group the breed happens to fall in, though they tend to be mostly gundogs and herders with the occasional terrier.

If you picked out type first, what made you decide on that grouping of dogs and what made you narrow it down to the breed you got?

I like dogs who are both people and work-oriented, mentally stable and focused, with a moderate size and type whose athleticism is suited for an active life and especially for a long sound agility career. Intelligent, engaged, busy dogs.

Are you with future dogs going to stay within the same breed group or venture out to other groups?

Well I already have at least three "groups"-ish. Terrier, herder, retriever...and one could easily make the case that Kim comes out more on the pariah type end of the spectrum as well. I anticipate always having at least two breeds/types -- some sort of retriever, and some sort of herder.

Variety is the spice of life

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13