Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashapaws View Post
When she's in the park, I usually have her in a... ok, I don't remember the name. A typical nylon collar with a thing that you push to open it. This way, if something bad was to happen, we could easily open the collar.
Quick release. And that is a good idea at parks/when playing with other dogs.

My dogs, no, not really. Collars mess up their fur. However, they can wear White Pine collars and not suffer any damage to their ruffs (Keeva esp has a thick ruff). Blossom also sports a fur saver pretty often.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Mine only wear collars when we leave the house/yard. The back yard is padlocked with a privacy fence, and I am always out with them anyway back there. When we have people visit I usually leave collars on them just in case, but we do have a baby gate set up so that they can't door dash even if they wanted to.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Mutts to you

My dogs only wear collars when I take them off the property. I am paranoid about them getting caught in the fence or a downed tree (the dog yard is about 2- 2-1/2 acres, half is heavily wooded) or someone's teeth.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Plus One

Tika, Diesel and Fudge wear their collars constantly. Tika and Diesel wear theirs so I can grab them quickly. They don't like other dogs and can be protective of the house so I need to be able to grab them.

Fudge wears his because it's so thin I can't see it and I love it. I think it's a 3/8" black biothane martingale with a brass chain martingale part. It also has ID on it. Since fudge tends to go everywhere with me that's important.

Aura, Scamp and Taz never really wear collars and certainly not around the house. Aura doesn't wear hers because I had a nice leather collar for her and Diesel chewed through it in 20 minutes. Scamp has a 1" collar and it's too bulky for him too wear 24/7, he looks very uncomfortable in it. The reason Taz doesn't wear a collar is that I lost his collar and haven't replaced it haha.

I want to get them all collars like Fudges though and they'll all probably wear their collars then.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I put collars on mine for their first walk of the day (they generally run out for a quick pee/poop break right after waking up without collars or leashes), and then take them off when we are in for the night. So they wear them maybe 12 hours a day.
Pretty much what we do. I take Caleb's collar off after "last call" each night. I hang it on the door knob, and put it back on when I take him out in the morning. I hang his collar on the back door when he gets a bath, too. That way, I don't forget to put it on when we go out.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Spanish Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Quick release. And that is a good idea at parks/when playing with other dogs.

-Owned by Natasha, a podenco mix.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:01 AM
cRaZy AbOuT DOGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Merlin walks on a harness, so his collar is totally just for ID purposes so it stays on all the time.
This.

A couple of Dock Divers live here.
Small & WhiteFluffy, but beware, Mighty and Athletic.
Require the time from the master to keep them busy!

Mighty Maltese YouTube Channel

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 AM
BusterLove

Quinn varies. I just tend to put a collar on her when I need it for something. Then I leave it on for however many hours/days/weeks until I have some reason to take it off. She has about 3 collars and I just grab whichever one is closest.

She wears her RT most of the time atm though just to get used to it and try to prevent any suspicions about it.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

Nope, no collars inside or in the backyard ever. They only wear them if we're going out somewhere.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Kung Pow Fish

no, never. only for outings and only when a leash and me is attached to the other end. one girl is kenneled when im not home and the other is loose, but either way i am absolutely petrified of the thought of them getting collars hung on something, even if i leave them loose, knowing my derpdogs they would get it hung and then twisted tight and there goes the benefit of it being loose

maybe if i had a breakaway collar i would consider leaving it on. or something so thin and flimsy and just for tags that it WOULD break if it got hung up on something. piece of twine, perhaps?
To change the world
To reach the farthest star
If we should stay silent
If fear should win our hearts
Our light will have long diminished
Before it reaches the farthest star"

-Ronan Harris, NVN Nation