Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
The Monster.

Mine don't, 'cause I'm vain and I don't like how it musses up and breaks their fur.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

Sometimes.

Collars come off when they go in their rooms/crates when someone leaves for the day, and collars go back on when someone comes home. I don't necessarily worry about them choking or getting caught on something when I'm home, but I'm paranoid about them getting caught when I'm not here.

Everyone is microchipped as well.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

No. Mine never wear collars in the house or yard. They do wear collars in the house and when training or out and about.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

With the change in my living situation this summer I have been keeping collars on them in the house more regularly. Especially if I am not home with them over a weekend (often my two and I will leave on the weekends) because I don't entirely trust the people I live with to be hyper-aware of closed gates/doors/garages like I am. Already I've found all of those things left open once, and now I am a little paranoid about something happening.

But normally, in a normal living situation, because I have four dogs who play rough, I feel that the risk of somebody getting caught in a collar is generally greater than the risk of any of them getting loose. So they don't tend to wear collars around the house normally. I like the idea of them having ID on 24/7, and I hate when I find a loose dog with no ID, but I really worry about something happening in play when they wear collars all the time. It's been a struggle for me to leave them on them regularly in the current house.

And they always wear collars with ID away from home. The Dobes are both tattooed also, Dance is tattooed and chipped, and Journ is chipped. I don't trust the security of non-clearly-visible ID, but at least it's there.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

almost never. pretty much when they go to the vet and that's it lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM
orange iguanas.

Yes. For Happy it is merely for ID purposes. For the other 2 I really just don't even think to take it off.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

No, because of safety concerns. I've known more than one dog strangled by a collar. Mine don't wear collars that often, really. Yet they have several. Go figure.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Unless she's getting a bath or is crated then yes. I do take if off from about 8-10pm, just for a quick break, but I put it on because when I let her out in the morning I'm too asleep to remember to put her collar back on.

I had a major scare when she opened the backyard gate and came to the front porch (I live on a really busy street and next to 3 very aggressive large dogs) a month or so ago. She was totally fine, and there's no way she can get out of the yard now, but that experience just reinforced me leaving her collar on. She is chipped, but nothing beats visible ID.
I also like being able to grab her quickly and safely if need be.

I do keep it loose enough to slip over her head pretty easy (just this morning her tag caught on a blanket and she pulled right out of the collar), since she's walked on a harness or martingale, so I'm not worried about her hanging herself.

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 09-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Never in the house or out in the yard. But they get put on when we go for a car ride or if we go for a walk out of the yard.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Hudson rarely wears a collar. Mostly just when we are outside and when we are visiting people. Like when we go visit my parents or Ben's parents, he will wear it all the time except when locked in a crate or during bed

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/