Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM
retriever crazy

no they never wear them in the house just when they go out on leash or if i put them on tie out in the front yard

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Was BackwardCinderella

Mine all wear theirs indoors... They aren't door darters, but Winnie IS fascinated by the door and can unlock everything to open it, so they just wear them. -_-

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Resident fainting goat

Yup.
Merlin walks on a harness, so his collar is totally just for ID purposes so it stays on all the time.

it's on pretty loose and he could pretty easily slip out if it got caught on something.

I like that he always has a collar on. If he ever makes a run for it, gets scared and runs off, slips his harness and runs off at the park etc.. he always has ID on him.
plus it's a handy thing to be able to grab
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

No. Only when needed for training/management but never all the time. I have known too many dogs that were injured or killed wearing them.

My mom and stepdad found two lab mix pups and decided to keep them. On afternoon the puppies started wrestling around and the collar became stuck on the girl's teeth. The male ended up being flipped over her and broke his neck. My mom was right there, nothing she couldve done to stop it. They thought he was strangling and got a knife to cut it off (the quick release buckle was what was stuck in her teeth) and did CPR but no to no avail. At the evet they realized it was his neck.

I know other dogs too, that was just the closest to home and during a supervised time.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

Naked in the house, collared/leashed when out. Just got my GDS info plate collars so they'll travel with those on, especially for weekend trips to shows and trials.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Bailey currently wears a collar 24/7. She's wearing a GDS one and doesn't seem to mind it at all.

Buzz wears a collar irregularly but he typically wears his harness from first pee to last pee. It's just easier since we go out often and I occasionally use it to help him.

Gaby rarely wears a collar but has a harness put on each time she goes outside.

All three dogs are microchipped. None of them are likely to escape, or to go far if they do escape.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Only if we're out somewhere. Though if I'm going to my house to work Payton, I often just put his harness on since I use it for restrains and don't bring his collar at all. I know he should have his collar... if something happened like we were in a car accident or something and he escaped the car, he'd have no tags and just his microchip to rely on... and that's bad...

I just ordered a bunch of Rubits for everybody so I can swap tags around. Then he can just wear his harness and I can snap his tags on it and solve that. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Mine only wear collars when training or anywhere on leash, and even then, I don't have tags on them. They're either tattooed or microchipped, so that helps I guess, but they are so incredibly velcro that it's hard to even imagine them taking off.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Morgan generally wears his 24/7. Then there are also periods where I'll take his collar off (for a bath or something) and don't bother to put it back on him for... days. lol
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

I try to, yes. The likelihood of her escaping (climbing the fence, busting through the fence, etc) is far higher than the likelihood of her choking/hurting herself on it.

It comes off on Wednesdays for agility class, and some weeks it takes a day or two for me to remember to put it back on.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG