Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Default Seresto collars

Does anyone use them? If so how do you like them?

I'm interested in trying them, but I'd like to get some feedback first.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

I use one on Hudson and my mom uses one on her dog too.

I know it has been working well for my mom. They don't have a lot of ticks in her area, mostly just fleas.

I tried the Advantix II on him last fall but he reacted poorly to it (shaking, excessive drooling, etc) and I didn't want to go through that again, so my mom picked me up a Seresto collar for Hudson for my birthday in early April. Prior to putting it on him, I was pulling several ticks off of him every other day. After I put it on him, I think I pulled 1 tick off the next weekend and maybe 1 other since then. Huge improvement over that he was picking up before

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Is it, pike, a normal flea and tick collar? I'd be iffy about using them around the cats, since I know Cara likes the cats, but I'm generally over cautious

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Top Dog

There is a dog who comes to the grooming shop that was always totally infested with fleas. Always had fleas, sometimes hundreds at a time. The owners claimed they used spot ons without any success. The dog has a Seresto collar now and hasn't had even one flea on him. So I'd say they're effective. They are waterproof, can even leave them on for baths but of the dog is regularly in water llike swimming daily, they don't last as long ( 5 months vs 8). I think it seems like a good alternative to spot ons and may be more effective, at least for now. IME spot ons are not nearly as effective as they used to be. And I think the companies know this too, which is why they have reformulated their old products and are coming out with new ones. The Seresto collar is made by Bayer, who makes Advantage and Advantix.

They make one for cats too, so I don't think that there's an issue in using them with cats in the house.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
There is a dog who comes to the grooming shop that was always totally infested with fleas. Always had fleas, sometimes hundreds at a time. The owners claimed they used spot ons without any success. The dog has a Seresto collar now and hasn't had even one flea on him. So I'd say they're effective. They are waterproof, can even leave them on for baths but of the dog is regularly in water llike swimming daily, they don't last as long ( 5 months vs 8). I think it seems like a good alternative to spot ons and may be more effective, at least for now. IME spot ons are not nearly as effective as they used to be. And I think the companies know this too, which is why they have reformulated their old products and are coming out with new ones. The Seresto collar is made by Bayer, who makes Advantage and Advantix.

They make one for cats too, so I don't think that there's an issue in using them with cats in the house.
That's good to know about effectiveness! And I was going to say te same thing about the kittens. There is no warning on them about use around cats.

Comfortis was hugely effective for us as far as fleas go, unfortunately it does nothing for ticks.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

And for the record I've been having trouble with topicals working. I had good luck with the activyl tick plus, but I'm hesitant to use it with the kittens. (Yes I know you can keep them separate until its dry, but Dobby grooms Cara ALOT and I'm just uncomfortable with it)

Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Active Pup

I have the Seresto collar for my Border Collie and I love it. I've never used flea/tick preventatives in the past, but ticks have been awful this year. Haven't seen a single one on him since I put it on. It is waterproof and I never take it off.