Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

What do you have for cat trees/cat "property"?. The more secure Sammy feels in her territory the less likely she'll be to have a problem with the kitten. If she can watch the kitten from a safe place up high that may be better. The number one reason cats don't like each other is they feel they are loosing their territory, so you want to make sure Sammy has lots of attractive places she can go so she feels she has lots of territory.

Do not let them interact for now. Bad initial intros can make things take WAY longer, better to be safe than sorry. For now the only time I'd let them see each other is while they are eating. I'd feed meals on opposite sides of a gate, with supervision to make sure no one tries to jump it. You may need to start with a little distance, but eventually you'll want them happily eating each right up against the gate.

Then maybe you can start letting Sammy watch Maggie if Sammy is resting up somewhere high. Bring Maggie out on the floor and pet her or play with her (as long as it won't entice Sammy down). If Sammy looks distressed or aggressive then take Maggie away. But she may just watch from the safety of up high, and that's exactly what you want.

You may want some poster boards around if they do happen to get too close and you need to stop Sammy. A poster board can be used to break the sight line and guide Sammy away. Without you getting your hands involved and potentially getting scratched or bitten.

Just like in dogs, female-female interactions can be the most aggressive, so take your time. The more spats they have the harder it will be for them to ever get along.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Thanks. The cats don't have trees. I've been trying to get my parents to buy one. The big cats do have the laundry room where they go on top of the fridge or ontop of the cupboards. The kitten cants get up there and I done let her in there. The big cats are all free fed and don't get meals but Sammy loves yogurt so I will try to feed her that while the kitten eats. Sammy is more like a Tom than female some days. I've never has this issue but then I have never had a cat as mean as Sammy.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Well some progress I guess. Sammy was in the living room watching the kitten play. She watched very intently but not stalking or atacking. I was there to re direct Sammy's attention or what ever was needed

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Top Dog

Give it more time. Unless they are physically HURTING her, things should work themselves out in time. They may never grow to like her, but they will accept her eventually.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Yeah I don't care if Sammy ever likes her or not. Thea hisses and walks away. That's acceptable to me. Sammy actually was attacking with te intent to hurt. She did actually hurt her the first time. It wasn't bad though. So I'm happy things are getting better. I just want it so I can leave the house without locking the kitten in the bathroom or I may come home to her dead

Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad to hear things are getting better :3

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb