Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Default homeless cat..what should i do with her?

Okay, here's the situation. My husband and I own one cat, three horses, and a new puppy. About three weeks ago I was outside watering my flowers, and a very very skinny cat walked up. She is SO sweet and I can't stand to see an animal suffer. Since then, I've been feeding her every day. She is now up to a good weight, but I just can't afford to keep her. Plus, she has obviously not had any shots and I don't want to make my other animals sick. I don't want to take her to our local shelter because they eunthanize animals with gas Does anyone have any ideas?? I probably shouldn't have fed her in the first place, but she would have died within a week if I hadn't. She's very sweet, but like I said, our budget is stretched with the new puppy and all his vet visits. Any ideas are greatly appreciated....
Old 05-13-2006, 11:07 AM
but please call me Aus.

Try putting an add in the paper for a free cat looking for a good home. Or maybe post some signs?

Good Luck.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Permanent Troll

Maybe a local cat rescue shelter?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:28 PM
no touchy

Try to find her a good home. I wouldn't offer her for free - if someone isn't willing to pay $50 for a kitty, then they most likely won't properly care for her. I'd get her shots first, write up a contract, and have the new owner pay for the shots and maybe $5 extra or something for just the kitty
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
Try to find her a good home. I wouldn't offer her for free - if someone isn't willing to pay $50 for a kitty, then they most likely won't properly care for her. I'd get her shots first, write up a contract, and have the new owner pay for the shots and maybe $5 extra or something for just the kitty
I agree and if she isn't spayed, I'd spay her before she goes to her new home.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
and Spy.

Can you take her to the shelter, but say if she doesn't find a home in the amount of time they give their animals, then to call you? That way she could live with them, but if it didn't work out then you could try and place her yourself?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Taco Dog

Spay her. Let her be a barn kitty. I know that isn't the ideal life for a cat, but at least you could have her spayed where she won't procreate more strays. Then you know she has a great home, instead of being passed over in a shelter. Maybe buy some Revolution to prevent fleas and heartworms. She should be fine.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

You can get the rabies and the spay at one of the clinics that offer it for inexpensive, doing day surgery. And you can give the rest of the shots yourself for anywhere from 3-7 per set of shots and you only need 3.

But a free ad (Craigslist) might be good, don't offer her for free but there might be someone out there wanting a kitty.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I wish I could afford to spay her and get her shots, but she is looking pretty sick and I definitely don't have the money to pay to get her well. My horse is also sick so our budget is totally stretched right now. I will call some cat shelters tonight and get some second opinons. It just makes me so mad...we live out in the country so people are always dropping off unwanted animals thinking that we will adopt them.