Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Default Not good news for Missy

A couple of you already know this from Facebook or texting, but I guess it's time to share on here...

Missy, my parents GSD, the one a practically grew up with - we've shared so much together and we're really close. She helped me a lot and I was sick and even tried to trigger my tremors... She's my best friend, and guardian angel, especially when she protected me from the flasher at the park

She's been wobbly and stumbling, my mom took her to the vet and they said arthritis. I dog-sat for a week and it was obvious to me that it wasn't arthritis and it was something neuro related... So it's gotten worse, more wobbly and back end collapsing, legs crossing, just losing control. I urged my mom to take her in when I could go.

Friday I had half a day off of work, I had an eye appt and my Mom made an appt for Missy, which we pushed back so I could go. Like a dork, with sunglasses on the whole time becausey eyes hurt like a *+*^*. I told the vet how I flipped her back feet over, and she did not fix them. He did many the tests I did, and a few more, wants to send her to OSU for more tests (x-rays, MRI, etc) but told me I was spot on

Degenerative Myelopathy, and probably arthritis on top of it. He's really concerned about her right hip as well, may be a touch of HD as well it's so hard to watch my strong beautiful loyal baby like this... BUT she's still running around eating and playing, he doesn't think she's in any pain just losing control.

So, thoughts and vibes are appreciated. I know my parents can't afford to do anything extreme and when it gets worse, my dad will have her put down
But she's had a good life and she's an AMAZING dog, my pound puppy <3

Pic for good measure

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Last edited by golden&hovawart; 09-08-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Oh no... it's so tough when they start getting older. VIBES she will get some pain management and feel better and stick around for longer than you expect!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

She and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((((((HUGS)))))))

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Ill be thinking of you and your pup!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Sorry to hear of Missy's troubles

*Hugs*

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Big Dog

I am so sorry to hear this. How awful!

While I don't know German Shepherds well, in our breed DM is not a death sentence and is not thought to be a painful disease, unlike IVDD which is painful.

They do make carts for dogs who are unable to use their back legs, and arthritis can be helped with glucosimine and chondroiten supplements.

Perhaps with the right combination of treatment, the old girl will have years yet to live a good life. *hugs*
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Love my pets

So sorry to hear this. Sending lots of vibes for Missy.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Big Dog

I am so sorry. There are carts that can do wonders for dogs with DM - keeping them mobile for longer, and even helping them with support for all four legs, not just the back.

How much does she weigh? Bigger dogs can take Metacam in pill form, making it much less expensive to manage arthritis than, say Rimadyl. That's what Zoe (85lbs) is on, along with Tramadol, and it isn't very expensive. She also gets a high dose of fish oil, and I think it helps her joints.

She sounds like an amazing girl, and no matter how fast things progress, she has had a great life and will continue to do so for as long as she can.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I wanted to post a little update on Missy.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, which makes sense because DM doesn't cause pain itself. So that has been a blessing in itself.

She's taking vitamins, fish oil (with Vit E), aminocroic acid 2x a day, and a joint supplement. However, it has not seemed to slow down or help her symptoms at all. It's been 3 short months and she's really struggling to stand at times... She falls over, needs help, but she still wants to play but she gets very... Embarrassed, or you could call it stressed, when she falls repeatedly or struggles too much. It's very heart wrenching.

Unfortunately for Missy and my parents, stairs are a very unavoidable part of everyday life. A wheelchair or cart really wouldn't be feasible for them. There are stairs to go outside/inside, 3 steps from the landing to the kitchen, a small step from kitchen to dining room, and stairs to go upstairs where everyone sleeps at night. I showed my mom the towel-trick. Right now, she needs it only occasionally... Once Missy gets going the back legs are on autopilot and she's okay. But she needs help to get going, though. Outside is worse, though. Perhaps the cold makes it worse. Secretly, my mom talked to me the other night. She's really worried that Missy will continue to deteriorate and won't make it past winter I try to be optimistic for her, but it's hard. And I won't lie to her either. Missy is a very proud dog, and has always been naturally very very clean. If she gets to the point of soiling herself, it would crush her. That's when it'll be time, dad says.

We just try to enjoy her and make her as happy as possible, for as long as possible. I stop over a couple times a week to see her. I really want to get pics of her and Maddie together with the DLSR but I've been so busy.
Sigh thanks for listening

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o