Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm All Ears

Oh man....

I am wondering if this is the same thing my trainer's border collie has. I know he has an immune disorder and it's pretty serious stuff.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice and good thoughts!

Talon's eyes are looking a lot better today. They are not nearly as bulging or swollen. They aren't completely back to normal but it's not nearly as drastic at least. He's feeling a bit icky today. He has been sleeping pretty much since we got back from the vet. Seems a bit wobbly in his hind end as well. I'm hoping maybe the prednisone is causing the lethargy?

At this point we are just waiting for tomorrow to see what the other tests say and hoping it's not IMHA. I hate the waiting, especially since Talon is obviously miserable right now.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Side effects of steroids just vary SOOOO much. They never made Logan sleepy, but I have heard they've done so to other dogs. Logan just got ravenous and peed a lot.

Glad he's improving! The eyes and the blood may be two completely unrelated things, too, and just a coincidence they came together. But IMHA is basically an allergic reaction (an immune response) so it may be the same thing precipitated both. Has he had a vaccine recently?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post

We have two dog clients at our clinic that were diagnosed with IMHA...and they're still alive and kicking and doing quite well. So even if that is the final diagnosis, take hope!
This! We also have a dog with it at our clinic and she is in ALL THE TIME to run bloodwork and re-evaluate. She is doing great though, and seems better every time she comes in.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

The closer it get's to bedtime the more nervous I get about tomorrow. I'm so scared the tests will show something terrible. He doesn't seem like himself right now. He's been sleeping all day, which I would've previously thought impossible for him. He puts his head up and it doesn't seem like he can even keep his eyes open. I'm so worried about him, it breaks my heart to see him so miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Side effects of steroids just vary SOOOO much. They never made Logan sleepy, but I have heard they've done so to other dogs. Logan just got ravenous and peed a lot.

Glad he's improving! The eyes and the blood may be two completely unrelated things, too, and just a coincidence they came together. But IMHA is basically an allergic reaction (an immune response) so it may be the same thing precipitated both. Has he had a vaccine recently?
No he hasn't, he got his last set of puppy shot right before we moved up here (9 months ago) so he still has a few months before he get's a booster.

I thought about that, if that's the case we are lucky he had the eye thing. Hopefully if that's the case and it is IMHA we caught it early and it will be easily treatable.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm All Ears

Lots of vibes and hugs and prayers. I hope you get good news tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Lots of vibes and hugs!

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thanks guys

At the very least, I just fed him and he still has an apatite! ^_^ I swear, if Talon ever doesn't have an apatite it will be the day he dies (hopefully 20 yrs from now lol).
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

Just seeing this now! Glad the swelling is going down. If they gave him an anti-histamine, that'll make him lethargic (just like if you take benedryl!). Plus if he's anemic, then yes, he's going to feel pretty crappy for a bit.

Eating is an awesome sign! Good boy Talon!

My brother's dog has a similar autoimmune disorder and had a scary low RBC count during a bad episode a few months ago. She's bounced back now and is as happy as ever.

Sending all of the good thoughts your way!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

I've been following this and I am glad to hear that he seems to be doing better...all the vibes and hugs headed your way!

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart