Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

I don't have a pack where I can number them all, either.

Bella and Billy are definitely at the bottom.

I want to say that Frag is on top, but it's hard to say. None of my boys really challenge each other. He and Sir would be the two to go at it if they did though. Recon is happy for now being below them, but will absolutely fight to remain # 3 against another male. If a dominant female came in he'd happily let her take over, but he makes sure that males know from day one he's bigger than they are.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Jelly baby?

Gavroche has ALWAYS been Top Dog. It's his Napoleon complex lol.

Logan is more submissive, or at least puts up with Gavroche's ****. When I got him, his breeder told me he was sort of "dominant" and challenged the other boys frequently...especially his daddy and his brother (granted I think those were the only other males there at the time). I saw him do this several times over the 2 days I was there. But I brought him home, and he immediately accepted that Gavroche was boss and hasn't tried to challenge him since.

That is, until now. The last few weeks I've noticed a shift. Logan has been posturing more...and Gavroche has been just "Okay, whatever...I guess you win :/" which sort of makes me sad, because it seems to me to be a sign of Gavroche getting older and slowing down It'll be interesting to see how it pans out over the next several weeks/months.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

It's the same with Ozzy. He didn't used to care about intact status, gender, anything. He'd fight or take what he wanted. Now, I'm not so sure he hasn't learned so manners, because up until now, there's never been a pushy bitch in the house.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Right now, my normally very submissive and easy going hound mix, Henry, is the top dog in our house. It's only because the other dog is a 15 week old puppy, who is also a male. Henry is an excellent puppy raiser and is the bossman over any puppy he's raised. My parents' 3 year old boston mix is hell on wheels, but she defers to Henry.

I'm curious to see how the dynamic works out between Henry and Rhys; right now Henry lets Rhys get away with some stuff, but is still clearly the authority figure. Should be interesting as I feel that Rhys is going to lose his puppy license soonish.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I can't comment on my dogs growing up, because none of them were what I would call stable. In a group of three dogs, at least one of them was always SSA/unpredictable around other dogs, which through every dynamic out the window.

With Cynder and Abrams, Cynder is definitely "the boss". She lets Abrams get away with murder and prefers to politely ignore most things, but when she does get assertive he grovels. It will be interesting to see if things change as Abrams matures and looses a lot of his silly-puppy behavior, but I have a feeling he'll still be a stupid, derpy boy who doesn't want to make the queen bee mad. LOL

Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

They just.. exist together? I can't think of how I would rank them. No one messes with Smalls, Shambles and Magpie know to leave Jonas alone, and the cat is above all of us.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Right now Teagan is defiantly the boss. She has not problem correcting him and he respects her a lot and takes the correction from her. I don't really see that changing.

Although I would not call Pan Submissive, he is far from it, he just really respects Teagan and knows not to get on her bad side or else he will get a spanking.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

It goes back and forth between my two. Ivan defiantly rules in the house(the pushy bratty little snot), Peewee more outside than Ivan. I have noticed that as Peewee ages, Ivan takes over a bit more. Nothing overt, but very subtle. The only real place that peewee isn't willing to give on is his dog house, that is his and only his. I haven't noticed any changes with food and what not, because I don't feed them together or give them chew bones with both out.

One thing I have noticed though that a pushy bitch in the house always seems to rule the roost.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Big Dog

Only thing close to comparable I have is how Jubel interacted with my long term foster Duncan who was with us for 9 months. Jubel was definitely the "top dog" between them but the only time he was ever really pushy about anything was greeting me first if I got home and my brother had left both of them together in the living room. For the most part they were separated when no one was home. Jubel would body block Duncan from me and maybe even give a little snark at him if Duncan pushed it a bit. This lasted all of the few minutes required to greet Jubel and I could pet Duncan at the same time as long as my focus was on Jubel.

That was really the only way Jubel was pushy about it. But Duncan did defer to Jubel on pretty much everything. The first few months in my home Duncan was too scared to try and push anything. As get got more comfortable in his socially inept way he sorta tried to challenge Jubel who mostly just ignored his attempts. Duncan would put his chin on Jubel's lower back/rump, like other dogs do over other dogs shoulders. I'd just redirect Duncan and warn him Jubel's only going to put up with so much nonsense from him before he tells you off. Shortly there after Duncan pushed just a bit too far and Jubel corrected him, Duncan reacted badly to the correction and snarked back, so Jubel grabbed a bit of scruff and gave him a quick shake. Duncan screamed bodied murder, it was all over in a matter of 5 seconds from me seeing it coming and the time it took me to make the few steps over too them and separate them.

Duncan ended up with a small little cut on his scruff and never tried to mess with Jubel again. Jubel acted like nothing ever happened. Jubel was never really pushy about taking chew toys from Duncan but if he wanted it he'd walk over to Duncan and look at it. All soft body language, no threats or posturing but Duncan would always drop it and walk away to another chew toy. I always made sure there were lots of chews out so plenty of other options.

Jubel also let a 6 month old chi/terrier puppy who was at most 10 pounds steal his chew toys from him. She was a little resource guarding bitch who spent about 2 weeks with us. Her foster didn't bother to mention her resource guarding before dropping her off which could easily have cost her her life if Jubel wasn't such a good boy. The only time he corrected her awful behavior was when she snapped at him over treats when I was treating them next to each other. I'd probably still say Jubel was "top dog" in that situation too he just didn't care enough about the toys to bother correcting her, and let me deal with her resource guarding me.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

There was never a pecking order in my house. It generally went oldest to youngest by default, and the dogs relied on each other for different roles. No dog was cemented in top dog role or bottom dog role. Between 6 dogs(often more with fosters), they just sort of rotated depending on what they wanted, who they wanted to play with, and they all got what they wanted at any given moment. They were individual in certain behaviors, but it wasn't really separated out by rank.

They all played together. They ate side by side. They were left out to roam the house 24/7, whether we were there or not. It was like that (and has been that way even after I moved out of my mom's house) for almost 10 years.

Definitely blinded me coming into the dog world, though. The concept of dogs not getting along completely baffled me.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky