Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Active Pup

Smaller standards are on the borderline of where I want to be, I think, and I DO want a female, so I figure if I either rescue a smaller adult who has a good personality or get a female from a smaller line, I can probably stick within my weight range or within 5 lbs. I can always lift a few weights for 5 lbs of extra lifting power, but 10 lbs or more would be too much.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Having had two DRTs, both were from a hearing dog program (kennel clearing due to a divorce), I recommend them and can answer questions if you have any.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Standard Poodles are any Poodle over 15", however most from Standard lines are going to be bigger to much bigger. For your needs and wants, I'd probably look more at larger Minis and less at Standards. A nice medium sized Poodle I think Minis have better overall health, SPoos are sadly, often not a very healthy or long lived breed.

I'm afraid a corded Poodle would attract LOTS of attention LOL. Of course with Poodles, one benefit is your dog can go from fancy to looking like some kind of pointer mix or terrier mix or a Kerry Blue or...or... with just a hair cut.

Shelties are known for barking and yeah, shyness and weirdness about stuff can be pretty common, so probably not LOL
Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Standard poodle is definitely one I'm looking at. They're not my favourite in terms of head shape, but I do like their coats and I've always wanted to dread a dog.
What about that middle size? Not the minis, but the mini/standard mixes? I can't think of the name - Midi, maybe? My understanding is that it is a recognized subset in many countries, but not the US. There are however breeders here. We have one in our agility club (with her tail! I love it!) and she's a super size - probably 18" and I'd guess about 30 lbs? Maybe even a bit under. She's Meg's height, but lighter and leggier in build. Very cool dog (and a smoking fast agility dog).

Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm All Ears

I like mini poodles in agility more than the standards. Or at least the ones I've seen have been faster and seem to jump smoother.

Shelties are great dogs but can be rather soft. Shyness is not uncommon. It depends on the individual and line really. There are some very bold dogs out there for sure. My first two Shelties were absolutely not shy or timid at all. But they both had awful awful barks.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:40 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
What about that middle size? Not the minis, but the mini/standard mixes? I can't think of the name - Midi, maybe? My understanding is that it is a recognized subset in many countries, but not the US. There are however breeders here. We have one in our agility club (with her tail! I love it!) and she's a super size - probably 18" and I'd guess about 30 lbs? Maybe even a bit under. She's Meg's height, but lighter and leggier in build. Very cool dog (and a smoking fast agility dog).
I think they are called kleins or moyens, depending on where you are. And yeah I agree they are such a nice moderate size

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

The klein Poodles would be the size you want.

Or you could just get a Border Collie.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

Moyen is the term I had heard. Where the heck did I get Midi?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Active Pup

I'm not opposed to a poodle, but they're definitely not my favourite. I really don't like taking dogs to groomers regularly--I never even remember to get my own cut. I get my hair cut down basically to a short pixie and then get around to getting it cut when I can put it in a ponytail. That's part of why I'd pretty much have to dread it. Once the cording is done, it's relatively easy to maintain at home. But it *is* a lot more flashy than I want. I'm definitely interested in more animals with coats like the rat terriers. Does anyone know if a Viszla would be appropriate, it's a breed my partner had mentioned?

DRTs are definitely a strong contender.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Top Dog

Vizslas aren't 20-40lbs and they ARE stunningly beautiful...
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.