Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Default TDI vs Delta/Pet Partners vs Other

Nola had her first unofficial therapy dog visit today at the local retirement home, and she did awesome! I've decided to pursue therapy work with her, and I'm wondering which organization is best? Thanks for any help!

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Delta does not allow raw-fed animals or animals that live in a home with raw-fed animals, even if it's only occasionally. So I'd venture to guess most of the members of this forum excluded on that basis. Even if you just give a bite of raw meat or a RMB once every couple months, you can't participate.

TDI...I can't do TDI because they don't allow service dogs to also be therapy dogs, which is annoying, stupid, and discriminatory. So I wouldn't use them just on the principle of the matter. They are the most common one around here, though. Their test has changed recently, but it used to be super easy. Logan passed the test 2 weeks after I got him, but we didn't register since it would have been a waste of money since he would be unable to participate shortly after.

I've been meaning to look into TDInc and Love on a Leash, but I simply haven't had time yet. But I have heard good things about both organizations. The biggest problem would probably be finding an evaluator in your area.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

What's the principle behind the 'raw' rule?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
What's the principle behind the 'raw' rule?
From what I hear, supposedly the bacteria can be shed in the feces and then dogs lick their butts and then lick the rest of their coat and spread it everywhere. I think it's stupid - dogs should be bathed the day before/morning of a therapy visit, depending on what time of day the visit is. Plus how often has commercial dog food been recalled for salmonella? And it's not like dog poop is clean because they're fed kibble, either "Raw" includes pig ears and bully sticks and the like, too.

They even go so far as to say you should feed cooked bones to your dog. Sorry, I can't stand behind that. That's dangerous and stupid.

http://www.petpartners.org/rawdiet
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

Buzz and I used Therapy Dogs, Inc.

I really enjoyed it and loved their practical approach.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years