Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Maxy24's Avatar
Maxy24 Maxy24 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,806
Default Digest-eeze rawhide and dental chews

I have two similar questions so I figured I'd just make one thread for them.

Has anyone heard of digest-eeze rawhide? It's supposed to be treated with some sort of enzymes that make it break down easier in the stomach. We gave our previous dog rawhide all the time but I don't give it to Tucker because everyone warns about blockages. I've always wished he could have some though since it's cheaper than bully sticks so he could get it more often. At work I saw fliers for the digest-eeze rawhide and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, mainly is it really safe?


My second question is, do any of those dental chews really work, are they any better than chewing a bully stick? You know, like greenies, nutrident, etc. The ingredients are sort of concerning though so I don't know how I feel about that. I brush Tucker's teeth but when I am at school my parents do not so I want another way to keep his teeth clean.
__________________
~Erin~



Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM
stardogs stardogs is online now
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,591
Default

They get hides from Central America. I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding a product that isn't sourced and made in the US given what I've heard about the processing chemicals used in other countries.

If I give rawhides, I give Wholesome Hide - great quality, long lasting, AND US sourced and made.
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
They get hides from Central America. I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding a product that isn't sourced and made in the US given what I've heard about the processing chemicals used in other countries.

If I give rawhides, I give Wholesome Hide - great quality, long lasting, AND US sourced and made.
This.

And, generally what I tell people about rawhides is that you kind of need to know your dog's chewing style. I wouldn't give them to Juno because she likes to swallow things whole. She can swallow a 6" bully stick with no ill effects but I'm not so sure about rawhides. If she took the time to actually CHEW though I don't think I'd be so concerned.

Dental chews I don't have a lot of faith in, they're better than nothing but they're pretty pricey and you have to give like 1 or 2 a day. Would your parents use a dental spray?
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Roger Biduk Roger Biduk is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 96
Default

Why even trust some kind of "dental chew" when the absolute best for a dog's teeth and gums is simply a raw or very lightly cooked meaty bone.
Roger Biduk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Maxy24's Avatar
Maxy24 Maxy24 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,806
Default

I'm always concerned about the frequency of giving raw bones though, and about knowing what type to give. We've given marrow bones but they concern me a bit because he tries really hard to eat them and I am afraid he'll break a tooth. He's too small for many of the edible bones people give their dogs, I don't know what to give him that's big enough to be safe but small enough to be edible so he won't break his teeth. I'm afraid giving him any raw bones frequently will give him diarrhea. Chews just seem easier, certainly less messy, and don't require as much supervision. But I'll stick to bully sticks and Himalayan chews, I'm sure they do something.
__________________
~Erin~



Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Roger Biduk Roger Biduk is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I'm always concerned about the frequency of giving raw bones though, and about knowing what type to give. We've given marrow bones but they concern me a bit because he tries really hard to eat them and I am afraid he'll break a tooth. He's too small for many of the edible bones people give their dogs, I don't know what to give him that's big enough to be safe but small enough to be edible so he won't break his teeth. I'm afraid giving him any raw bones frequently will give him diarrhea. Chews just seem easier, certainly less messy, and don't require as much supervision. But I'll stick to bully sticks and Himalayan chews, I'm sure they do something.
Those chews don't do anything and the ingredients are waste products at best, even if they're made in North America.
Absolutely nothing beats a good meaty rib bone for their teeth, gums and overall health... it's cheap and you know what your getting.
I wouldn't let my cats, my Siberian or any clients' pets near one of those chews.
Roger Biduk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

My dogs love Himalayan dog chews. They only get raw bones outside I have no where in my 700sqft place to give Gage raw bones all the time, he can only really have them outside, and with 5+ months of winter he can have them for that time. Summer or winter his teeth don't look any better with one or the other to be honest.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Maxy24's Avatar
Maxy24 Maxy24 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,806
Default

I don't see why a bone would work and a bully stick or Himalayan chew wouldn't. It all comes down to having to gnaw on something hard so that it scrapes against the teeth. He gnaws on Himalayan chews and bully sticks a lot harder and longer than edible bones. If I were feeding a raw diet then I surely would expect cleaner teeth as they have to chew like that every single meal. But when just talking about the occasional bone given a couple of times a week, I don't think it would trump either of those chews. Maybe a non-edible bone would, but as I said broken teeth are a concern of mine with those.
__________________
~Erin~



Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

In the summer Gage gets beef rib bones and turkey necks. But he's big lol. The littles get chicken wings and necks. They all seem to love necks the most, well except diesel who will happily walk away from his neck, letting the other dogs have it to chew on a Himalayan instead lol. but his teeth seem just fine with them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
My dogs love Himalayan dog chews. They only get raw bones outside I have no where in my 700sqft place to give Gage raw bones all the time, he can only really have them outside, and with 5+ months of winter he can have them for that time. Summer or winter his teeth don't look any better with one or the other to be honest.
Interesting! I have been looking at the Himalayan chews lately, wondering if dogs even like them and how long they last. They aren't a big seller at my store, so I wasn't sure if I should try them out. But, if they are Gage approved, then I'll have to get Pan one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site