Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Default Office Attire - basics?

So. Since I'm working full time for a semester this year, I actually have to buy some office attire since what I have now is enough for working twice a week. I don't want to work in jeans so I need to do some boring office cloths shopping. :'(
I have no idea what I really need and how much. We're pretty casual for the most part - it's not like I wear suits or something. I have a blazer for when partners come in and such - I just don't have essentials. I have like 2 blouses and a pair of nice pants (that need to be replace, thanks Zora).
SO... for you office people, what are some essentials I should stock up on? How much of everything do you generally use? What brands do you like.

On a side note: I'm already dreading actually having to IRON things regularly. :'(

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Sit! Good dog.

It depends on your office policies. I hate office clothes and don't wear them. Today I'm wearing skinny jeans, a baggy top, white sailor pumps! I only attempt to look smart when I go to court and its required. I'd hate to have to wear office clothes again....!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
It depends on your office policies. I hate office clothes and don't wear them. Today I'm wearing skinny jeans, a baggy top, white sailor pumps! I only attempt to look smart when I go to court and its required. I'd hate to have to wear office clothes again....!!
There aren't really any policies (such a tiny office), but we get alot people coming in and out of the office, and I don't want to go in wearing my normal day to day jeans, like I do when I go in after Uni. I work in an architecture firm and will come along when we talk to customers and companies, so I want to look nice but still be able to go to construction sites without feeling like I'm totally over dressed. My boss/co-worker usually wears nice slacks and a nice suit jacket.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I deal with the public, but kids, carers etc. I chair meetings in jeans lol
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Resident fainting goat

My office warddrobe if it helps..
(everything is a neutral color so everything matches lol which helps)

- A pair of black skinny jeans (they are casual enough to be comfy/still casual in your office, but smart enough that paired with a blouse/blazer, you will look professional in a pinch) (I like GAP 1989 collection)
- Pair of khakis (we all hate them but for some reason..darn do they come in handy) (I like Zara)
- Black tailored work pants (I have two, one short enough to work with flats one long enough to work in heels) (gap)
- Grey tailored work pants (gap)
- Ballet flats/pair or basic black heels to keep in desk (My office is casual so I wear sneakers sometimes but I keep emergency shoes just in case lol they turn almost any outfit more professional) (gap)
- Black blazer (gap)
- Grey blazer (gap)
- White blouses (two cotton: short sleeve/long sleeve, two silky: short sleeve, long sleeve) (gap)
- Straight black pencil skirt (gap)
- A LBD (little black dress) just incredibly versatile. (American apparel makes a great basic dress gotta find the kind!)
- A few cardigans/smart sweaters in fun colors (most of the outfits here are neutrals, sweaters is where I have some leeway). Can be paired over a dress, can work with pants (Anthropology)
- Black turtle neck (Gap)
- White/black tshirts (american apparel makes good ones I really like)
- High wasted printed skirts (Anthropology) I really enjoy silk floral or just fun printed skirts. They go great with blouses

I did most of my shopping at GAP lol the prices I've saved helped with the tailoring and I really like the quality.
If I had one piece of advice for the world.. TAILOR YOUR CLOTHES it costs very little and makes a blazer/pants/jeans/shirt look AWESOME and much more professional and put together

Extras I keep around to keep the wardrobe "fun"
- Fun silk scarfs
- Headbands (Anthropology makes great pretty work appropriate ones)
- stockings
- Pearls
- Other necklaces
- fun colored watch
- fun bracelets
- Sparkly nail polish
- Ballet flats in just about every weird/fun color lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Twin 2.0

Fran, will you come be my personal shopper?

I wear either black or gray dress pants (one pair is brown) and then have an assortment of button down dress shirts, a pair of comfortable flats and that's it. I also have two dressy sleepless shorts I pair with a black shrug to make it all look professional. I'm also working at a car dealership and have to balance professional with comfort. I refuse to wear our logo'd polo shirts anymore than strictly ordered. During the winter I have a nice jacket with our logo on it.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Chihuahua Power!

My office is business casual, so I have a lot of room to work with!

I'd start out getting neutral pieces that are versatile and will last.

A pair of black dress pants
A pair of grey dress pants
A solid color blazer that would match with black or grey pants
At least 1 pair of heels and 1 pair of flats that are comfortable, in easily matched colors (black or grey, for instance)
Multiple colored cardigans (if your office is like mine, it gets COLD!)
Blouses that can be dressed up or down with a blazer, cardigan, or accessories

Starting with neutrals makes it easier to match things together in the morning, and makes things a bit easier on your wallet in the beginning! Let's put it this way- if you can afford to purchase 3 pairs of pants and 2 skirts to begin with, you'll want to avoid funky colors because you'll have to wear them ALL the time and it will be harder to make multiple outfits from individual pieces.

Ann Taylor Loft was my go-to store after I graduated college.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

THANK YOU

I'm also very greatful for being able to wear skinny jeans. I have a few dark blue one, a black pair and a deep red pair. So I don't need any of those.

I guess having 1 pair of work tailored and one pair of khakis should be alright to start off with. Since it'll be winter I don't really need skirts. I also hate skirts. ^^

I guess I'll need a bunch of blouses and such since I only have one or two that actually fit well. I hate blouse shopping.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I have like no real fashion taste unfortunately lol

Fran, when I start showing dogs I might have to fly you out here to help me pick out an appropriate wardrobe lol.

When I worked in an office it was business casual. No jeans except on Fridays as more often than not I just wore black slacks with a nice blouse top.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

I wear dresses almost every day. So much more comfortable than blouses! The only time I wear pants is with sweaters in the winter.

Almost my entire wardrobe is from The Limited. It's the only place I've found where the clothes actually fit me!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG