Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I Love My Belgian

Default Finding the perfect stud...

*Sigh* I'm having so much trouble finding a stud to breed Visa to. Most of the breeders in the province are no good, but we want to be able to drive rather than have Visa shipped, so that leaves here (BC), Alberta, or Washington. I've scoured the internet and looked at every website I can find, but nothing looks just right.

Anyone here ever have that problem? Did you eventually find the right male?

The other dogs are "telling" us that she is going to be coming into heat soon. Probably within a month. We had a male picked, but decided to breed her to a tervuren instead. I know a terv with a wonderful temperment, but I don't think his head will be an improvement upon Visa's. Then we picked another, but found out that he is old and we don't want to do an AI. I know of another one that is absolutely gorgeous, but I don't like his temperment. The only grey terv male in Alberta I've found is European (straight from Hungary infact) and I want to breed her to an American terv. Of course I can find tons of fawn tervs, but no greys, and we want a grey. This search just seems ridiculous!

So if ANYONE knows of anyone with a grey terv for stud, preferably American lines, in BC, AB, or WA, let me know!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Don't do it through the INTERNET. Look up the breeding clubs in those Provinces .... they will know good studs.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I think you are making two serious mistakes.....

1) HURRYING to find the right dog

2) making COLOR a criteria of selection

IMO, one should carefully make a list of the strengths and weaknesses of the bitch and what is behind her, and search for a dog who is correct who is strong where she is weak and who reinforces her good points.

I strongly suggest you find a mentor whom you respect to help you, and DO NOT RUSH to find a dog for your bitch.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:04 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I'm also interested in why you prefer Grey. Grey is a serious fault in the US and under the FCI breed standard in the Tervuren.

You will be limiting yourself strongly by breeding/producing grey Tervs.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Golden Love

Jordan, I have to say that this thread shocks me. You have always come off as a responsible pet owner and this threat completely contradicts that. Do not rush anything, take your time and if ends don't meet for this heat then so be it.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 05-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Taco Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsoul
We had a male picked, but decided to breed her to a tervuren instead.
Isn't that mix breeding? I know nothing about Shepherds, but it seems that since Visa is a Gro. then you would want to breed her to another one, not a Terv??

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 05-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Twin 2.0

Honestly, and I'm truely not trying to be mean here, but if your girl is of excellent breeding quality and had enough exposure at various functions, be it agility, herding or conformation, then you should have had stud owners approaching you with the possibility of using their dog.

I would seriously wait and do a LOT more research.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Who cares if you miss this season. It's better to find a good stud dog.

Also why grey? Color should be the LAST thing on your mind.

I do know why your doing it but personaly I dont think you should breed to a Tev. You should find your own breed. Just my opinion. besides weren't you going to breed to a Mal before?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash47
Isn't that mix breeding?
It's been discussed before. No, it's not a mixed breeding. In Canada, the belgian shepherds are considered different varieties, not seperate breeds.

I do think that you should wait in breeding Visa. According to your website, she's on a good track to getting her titles, but she is not titled yet. Wait until she gets her CH. Then you'll have no problem finding a good stud--they'll come to you.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Most breedings are planned way ahead of time. I have only done one breeding off of a hurried decision. Although the Male I bred to was a no brainer. Very well bred and certainly complimented my female. I am looking around at studs right now for a future breeding. Taking this summer to see them at tests and trials.
Anyways. . . . ....
I know nothing about your particular breed but I did find this.
Heres a club in Spokane Wa
http://www.dogequipment.com/csc/successes.htm

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?