Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Agree with everything already stated, excellent advice. Would like to add, teach her to ride a skateboard. She learns that she can control movement and it is low enough to not scare her. Free shaping it works best instead of luring. On that note, also don't lure the teeter. And rewarding at the scary point for her is actually reinforcing the fear not the performance
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Big Dog

Remmy did not have the greatest start in Agility as we had no instructor. He has done exceptionally well but the teeter is one thing that although he will always do it, he crouches down at the tipping point, then lays there till it touches the ground which makes it very slow.

Lucy on the other hand had it taught properly and races right to the end, does her 2o2o until I release her. Sometimes the teeter has tipped back up lifting her back end but that does not seem to deter her at all.

I may just see if I can retrain Remmy on the teeter but don't know if after doing it his way for so long whether it will make a difference or not. Remmy does running contacts.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Big Dog

I posted on another forum about the 2o2o on the teeter and found it is not recommended for small dogs. When I was learning the teeter with Lucy, she had us doing the 2o2o from the time the teeter was low, up to full height. Then just the other day she said I should not do the 2o2o on the teeter with Lucy. Hope it does not confuse Lucy as she is great at running the length of the teeter without stopping until she does the 2o2o at the end of it.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I posted on another forum about the 2o2o on the teeter and found it is not recommended for small dogs. When I was learning the teeter with Lucy, she had us doing the 2o2o from the time the teeter was low, up to full height. Then just the other day she said I should not do the 2o2o on the teeter with Lucy. Hope it does not confuse Lucy as she is great at running the length of the teeter without stopping until she does the 2o2o at the end of it.
I don't require a 2o2o from Gusto on the teeter, because even at 26 lbs, there is a lot of rebound for him to deal with, and I think it's easier when he's in a 4 on. However, if a 2o2o is working for your dog now, I wouldn't hesitate to just keep it that way, regardless of size.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

I tend to reward after she gets away from it as fast as possible. Lo is very tiny and her teeter issue was it coming back up behind her while she was running. When she was refusing it altogether when we first started, we just went way way back and started with a small one.