Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Crate fans

Those of you that own crate fans what kind of fans do you have and where did you get them?

I'm looking for a battery operated one that I can hook to the side of the crate that stays in my car. That way if I have to lead dogs in the car temporarily I can have a fan going in addition to having the windows rolled down.

Figure it would be good to have especially for road trips and dog sport events.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

I have yet to find a "dog crate fan" that doesn't suck.

I use this one, it's battery powered and not technically for dog crates but dogs the job well http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP7300...ords=crate+fan

We had a heatwave and I used it when we were at the park, worked well! for both of us haha

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have yet to find a "dog crate fan" that doesn't suck.
Ditto. None of them I've seen move enough air to be useful in my opinion. I checked out fans for a whole summer looking to replace the one I had (looked like the one Fran posted, although it may not have been the same. Worked great, but used up a TON of batteries).

I ended up buying a Ryobi. Amazing power for such a little fan, and they run off the rechargable drill batteries. I own two batteries, and if I had out for a weekend with them both fully charged, they last me the whole time (usually don't turn them on first thing in the morning, but on mid-morning to whenever we are done for the day).

I don't think the one I have now is still available, but this is the "new" version, which also seems wonderful. I've been checking them out at trials, and may get a second so I have one for both crates. Right now, I just set it up so it is kind of blowing on both.

http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-volt-.../dp/B001NJA2JQ

Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...ght=crate+fans

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I realize this may make me completely crazy but....

When going places where the dogs would remain in/near my car I actually just brought a car battery and a box fan or two. I bought an adaptor from Walmart that turned a car battery into a powerstrip and then the box fan(s) would run off that for the day. Take it home and recharge for the next event. The fans were like $10 each, the converter was ~$20, and I always have old batteries but if you buy a new one price can be all over depending.

I found the camp fan type things never put out what I wanted for breeze and they were also heavy bc of all the size D batteries they took.

When I would be away from the car enough to not want to lug all of that, I bought small fans from petedge. They clip right on the crate and worked ok. I'll look it up later... I'm driving right now. HaHa.

But, if you have your car... My vote is box fan and car battery!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Mine pretty much suck. They're just regular battery fans that I can put up next to the crate. I bought them at Walmart.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

I have the ryobi boston posted. I <3 it. It's expensive as heck to get the batteries ($100/each) but they are powerful. I suffered the loss of a battery this year (it stopped charging--said it had gone bad) which sucked, but I still thought it was worth replacing.

I also have a cheapy clip on fan for emergencies that lives on the crate, but all it does is alleviate my guilt. Pretty sure it does nothing to actually cool down my dog.

I have the cool mat from clean run for the bottom of her crate, which is helpful too. I have to remember not to store it in the car though, or it will get pretty darn toasty.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Twin 2

I love Ryobi stuff! I saw people using that fan at the comp this weekend and seriously have want for it.

My dad has a ton of batteries and we have a lot of the things that use thos (Trimmer, blower, Saw etc.) and I've become a huge fan of them. I think that fan is going on my want list.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

When I bought my Ryobi fan, it was actually cheaper to purchase a drill that came with two free batteries than to just purchase two batteries. So I have a drill that I've never touched, but got the two batteries for a great price.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Big Dog

Crate fans are a big waste of money, IMO. I have the Ryobi fans too. They don't travel well but they work the best.