Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Puppy Dog

Default puppy gets "fixed" tomorrow

tomorrow morning, Friday Feb. 18th, my Shih Tzu puppy goes in to get nudered. my wifes worried that it will change his personality. does having them fixed at such a young age change them? the vet lady said only thing he will do is never hike his leg to go pee pee, he'll just squat. also he has a bump on his neck that my wife swears was there when he got home from the vet last, which was three weeks ago for his third set of shots. i'll ask her tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Dog Spoiler

Yes there is a bump, my dog had that too. I think thoses are the shots still there. Fixed, wont do anything cept he'll be tired the day you get him back if that. The only thing you should worry about is being sad that hes gone overnight.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Felurian

The bump could very well be from the shots, so do ask the vet about it.

His personality won't change, and he won't put you through some of the adolescent-raging-hormone stuff that you'd have to deal with if you didn't have him neutered as a pre-adolescent. His personality would change more (temporarily) going through a non-neutered adolescence. As for lifting his leg, he may still do that when he's older - it may just take him longer. Or he may never do it. Either way it doesn't really matter, but you won't have to deal with the marking behaviours.

Try not to worry too much.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead (DOG LOVER)
The only thing you should worry about is being sad that hes gone overnight.

that shouldn't be too bad. he'll be at the vets all day, we will drop him off in the morning and pick him up after work. so its not really any different, except that he won't be there in his crate when i get there at lunch to let him out.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:33 PM
no touchy

His personality won't change. My dogs are all fixed, and their still the dogs they were before they were spayed.

Quote:
the vet lady said only thing he will do is never hike his leg to go pee pee, he'll just squat.
Actually, he may still do it. Female does can do that too. lol
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:08 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

My dog Victor was sore after being neutered, and a bit swollen. The vet said i could put ice on the area ( I find if u use equal amounts of isopropyl acholol and water in a watertight bag, like a ziplock...and freeze it makes the best ice packs..stays colder longer and is not hard like ice cubes.My dog didn't go for the ice pack too much..we did try..Victor also had a reaction to something and had some red welts all over his body. If he had a normal coat like other dogs we might not have seen this as much. We gave him some benedryl and those went away. The next day Vic was just about back to his old self..the good thing about having a neutered male....he doesn't feel the need to mark every bush and tree he can find, his urine is not as rank, walking Victor is a pleasure since our purpose is to have a walk, not leave a trail of urine on everything.. He loves other dogs..maybe he would have anyway,but if being nuetered keeps him this way..that is a real bonus. Your dog also will have a far less chance of getting testicular (sp?) cancer...
Old 02-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Love my pets

How's your puppy doing?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Active Pup

This is may sound like a dumb question but, how do you tell a neutered dog from an unneutered one?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Felurian

Look between his back legs. If it's a male dog, and you don't see anything - he's neutered. Hope that answered your question.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

I had Brady neutered at a young age and he is about a year and 4 months old, and he did actually recently start hiking his leg, so just because you get them neutered young doesn't necessarily mean they will never hike their leg. It may just take him a little longer to figure it out. They still like to mark their territory. Brady does it about 50 times on a walk now.

It didn't change Brady's personality much, he is still the same excited loving boy he was then. The only thing it changed was that he does not try to, for a lack of a better word, hump things. Of course, then again they can still do that sometimes to show dominance, but at least it won't occur as often. He will be a little groggy and sore for a couple of days, but he will be back to his old self before you know it.