Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I fed raw for a while. Some cats are HARD and some are easy. For one of mine he never switched (though he has changed a lot with age and I bet I could switch him now). For my other cat it just took mixing little bits of raw with his favorite snack food (pre cooked chickens from stop and shop) and slowly increasing the size of the raw bits. I hear kittens are easy.

The biggest thing to remember with cats is that they are limited in what bones they can consume. Chicken wings are the biggest most can handle, even then some can't do biggest section (humerus equivalent). Also remember for taurine dark meat is better than white meat, so thighs are better than breasts. I don't remember my menu, I just know I fed 2% of his body weight and fed 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organ (I could only get kidney). I'd measure that out each week then divide it up into daily portions. There is a cat forum with an active raw section I know of if you'd like to know more.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I feed raw, but you will have to get input from Lauren since she is the one that switched Whiskey to raw. Right now I feed natures variety raw which comes in premade patties with an occasional chicken wing or whatever I can get my hands on that will fit in my dinky mini freezer space. Once we move into a house and have a full size fridge/freezer again I plan to expand more variety into his meals.

Whiskey is very dog like in some areas and very cat like in other areas. He almost reminds me of a Bengal though he has calmed down a little bit since he was neutered. He still loves to play and he is super in your face and wants to be as close to you as possible. He is a cuddler, but will also get down and rough and tumble with the dogs.

Whiskey is strictly indoor. I'm too nervous to do the indoor/outdoor thing again. Eventually I may attempt to leash train him but I didn't start that when he was younger so not sure how well he would take to it. More than likely we will one day have an enclosed screened in area that our cats can hang out in to enjoy the outdoors without actually being outside.

As far as trick training. My last cat did some tricks. Whiskey knows a couple easy tricks and is definitely teachable, but he doesn't seem to catch on quite as fast as the dogs and he definitely requires some luring at this point because he will not free shape and will get frustrated if you don't give him the treat.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
So I think I'm going to get one of the kittens Smkie is fostering. I've never had an indoor cat before; they've all been outdoor barn cats on my grandma's farm.

What is it like/what should I expect?

Other than litterbox, cat tree and some toys, what else should I get?

Are all cats destructive to plants?

Would it be totally weird if I socialized him like a dog?
The two most important things are one-time only vaccinations and the food.
If feeding commercial pet foods, make sure they're only fed a good grain-free wet food... if fed only a cheap, carbohydrate-filled kibble, feline diabetes, kidney disease and CRF are most likely down the road.
Roger Biduk
Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Big Dog

Cats have a huge range in personality, but it certainly doesn't hurt to socialize them like dogs. I took Maiya places from the time I adopted her (8 months old) and she just rolled with it. She was fine with a collar and harness at first, then hated them. We're still getting back into them. I give her all her meals in her kennel, and now she can go for car rides in it without crying and will even sleep or snack during them. I take her to my parents' house with me when I visit a couple times a week just like I do with Zoe, and she loves seeing everyone and hanging out and exploring. She knows the rules (but chooses to break them,) and knows her name. She bolted for the open door last night and I gave her a stern call and she stopped dead in her tracks. Nothing I taught her, I just think treating her as I would a dog has developed this understanding... that said, she is quite doglike to begin with, and I think it's just her nature.

So I guess what I'm saying is - no, it's not a bad idea to socialize like a dog, but recognize some will just never roll that way while some take to the treatment naturally.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12