Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

Default Petco trainers

Has anyone worked as a dog trainer for Petco?

I just applied, because our two local stores are hiring, and it's a job I could do in the evenings or on weekends with Lilly and school. The application was kind of weird, though. I put my past job experience at the day care and in grooming, and put a few people who's dog's I've trained in my references, but there was no space to list volunteer work or the classes/seminars I've taken, since I don't have any formal certification.

I feel like I'd have had a much better chance if I got to include my own resume or there was a section for extra information.

I also didn't finish the timed questions.

I'm wondering if I have a chance of getting an interview with no technical "training" experience, and without finishing the timed questions. Also, what was it like working there? Did you have to follow really specific guidelines for training, or were you allowed to sort of make your own training suggestions and so on?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I don't know but I applied there for a position as an associate, I finished the time questions, but found them very ... Strange.

Hope you get the job

Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Silence, peasants.

I haven't worked there, but I do know of someone who has, and apparently it's easier to get hired if you don't have prior training experience? They said it was because they wanted to teach you 'their way' of doing things from scratch. I dunno if that was just that 1 location being weird, or what. Good luck!

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
apparently it's easier to get hired if you don't have prior training experience?
I've heard this, too. I applied and got an interview, but I was never called back. Not even to say "Sorry, we chose someone else." I even called THEM and left a message and got nothing back. That very well could be that particular store I went to, though. I did have a couple titles and was very clear with what my training goals were (at the time, ultimately, service dogs, though that has changed).

From what I understand, they do give you their own training (hence them liking those without experience, so they can have a clean slate), so not having any experience should be fine.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I've heard this, too. I applied and got an interview, but I was never called back. Not even to say "Sorry, we chose someone else." I even called THEM and left a message and got nothing back. That very well could be that particular store I went to, though. I did have a couple titles and was very clear with what my training goals were (at the time, ultimately, service dogs, though that has changed).

From what I understand, they do give you their own training (hence them liking those without experience, so they can have a clean slate), so not having any experience should be fine.
All this except my personal experiences are with PetSmart, but I have been told from ex-Petco people it is the same. PetSmart didn't want to hire me because I know too much basically.
They have their own "training" they give you and you basically have to follow their training regime for insurance purposes. As was explained to me, if you tell somebody to do something outside of what their Official training tells you, you can be held personally liable if anything bad happens.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Just what is their regime? What does it entail?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Just what is their regime? What does it entail?
Sell lots of stuff..i.e., head halters, treat bags, no-pull harnesses, and so forth .

Some people there are pretty good. Most...not so much. I think a lot of them (Petco and Petsmart) start puppies right onto head collars and front snapping harnesses, which probably wouldn't be necessary if they got actual training. But hey, what do I know.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I think a lot of them (Petco and Petsmart) start puppies right onto head collars and front snapping harnesses, which probably wouldn't be necessary if they got actual training. But hey, what do I know.
At the same time, I would imagine 90% of petco/petsmart class takers are "6 weeks and done" type trainers. I know my in-laws were. For those type of people, throwing a front clip on IS a good choice. I WISH their petsmart trainer had showed them front clip harnesses and head halters, because there was no way they were going to be dedicated enough to teach him loose leash walking...so now their dog gets no walks whatsoever because he yanks my mother-in-law's arm too hard and she can't control him I gave her Lucy's old easy walk, but she had already given up by that point.

I feel like most people who are actually going to invest the time into training their dog are going to go somewhere other than a big box store. Or maybe I'm spoiled living in an area with more than enough other options for basic obedience.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

haha, there were all these questions about being a leader, innovation, taking initiative, etc. I guess I'm not getting THAT job.

I was also wondering why I had to have so much sales/retail experience to be a trainer.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

The few classes I have seen (mind you this is petsMART not petCO, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not) left me going like ... Wut? There were a few puppies that clearly werent responding to the method I assume trainers are required to adhere to.

It's a shame because if they allowed their trainers a certain amount of lead way, there might be more of a turn over in customers, more importantly, more manageable dogs, because we all know that a manageable dog is less likely to end up in a shelter or worse ... On CL.