Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Default Puppy behavioral question

So, I was skimming through my new copy of "How to raise a puppy you can live with" and something interesting caught my eye. The book mentioned something about puppies being more bratty before 4 months of age because they are unaware of how annoying their behavior is from a social standpoint. I've never heard this before (though I'm no puppy expert) and I was wondering if there was some truth in the idea. Anyone know?

I monitor the situation closely between my two. Henry, my 7 year old hound mix, is extremely puppy tolerant and has educated a lot of puppies over the years. He is slightly more grumpy than when he was younger, but I have never seen him over correct a puppy. Overall I consider him very appropriate. Rhys, my 13 week old puppy, loves Henry to death. He annoys him constantly to play (which he knows will work-eventually) so I have to manage them well enough that Henry can get some peace. Overall, I'd say they are very good together. I let Henry correct but I also remove Rhys and work with both of them separately.

Thanks if you read this!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure if it's that Gusto was more bratty, but I know Meg was very, very tolerant of any of Gusto's antics until about 4 months or just after. She played with him a ton and rarely if ever corrected his behavior. At about 4.5 months, she raised her standards and wouldn't take as much from him. I figured it was just like with kids; you chuckle over their bad manners when they are too young to know better, but they you set the rules as they grow.