Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Default Minimalist shoes/VFF alternatives

I LOVE my VFFs to bits. They're the only shoe I wear anymore, other than occasional flipflops or boots (for riding). BUT...I'm really, REALLy irritated that they don't last long. I have had my current pair o Treks for just over 2 months, and the treat is almost completely worn off (I need to get a picture later). I thought going for Treks would make the sole last longer, but no. My KSOs at least lasted a year before they were worn through. At this point, it's really unacceptable. It has still been under 90 days, and the rubber is starting to separate from the fabric, so I'm going to try to get them replaced under warranty. The warranty does NOT include excessive wear, though, so the sole is NOT under warranty, I'm hoping they just decide to replace them because of the adhesive issue. I love the shoes, but they're expensive, and they really ought to last more than 2 months.

Also, it's not going to be warm forever, and I don't think I'll want to rake poop in freezing temperature in VFFs. So, what do you recommend as an alternative? It doesn't have to be a toe shoee, obviously, just a minimalist/barefoot design and COMFORTABLE.

GO!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

I have a pair of NB Minimus that I adore. They are the closest thing I've found to my VFF's. You might also look into Merrells.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

I have a pair of Merrell Pace Gloves that I really like.

They're comfortable and so far they've held up (although I'm no longer running, thanks to my awful knees).
my delicate little flower

Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

I'd like to also say the NB minimus, I have a pair I really like and although they don't last THAT LONG, 2 months is beyond ridiculous. My pair fell apart after a year

Also, nike is coming out with new frees. Not sure how great they are (only seen them in store) but they are supposed to also be pretty minimal. Knowing nike, they will be beautiful and glorious to wear..and i'll have to sell a kidney to buy one

Edit: they are called the NIKE FREE FLYKNIT

I have the regular frees and they are great you can even personalize them! but the flyknit looks droolworthy.. and much more minimal.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Vizsla mom

I only use Nike Frees ..and they only run about $124+tx a pair. I don't find that excessive at all and they last forever compared to what you seem to be getting out of VFF. I run in them until I hit about 500 miles then I switch out to a new pair BUT I keep my old pairs for random things (running agility, hiking, walking) ..I have a 2yr old pair that are still pretty awesome and get used all the time along with a 1yr old pair& my newest runners.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Lord Cynical

Check out Stem footwear. I've been meaning to get a pair of Stems, since I have heard rave reviews on them.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Behavior Nerd

I just got new Merrell Pace-somethings and I really like them. You could also check out the birthdayshoes blog for other ideas.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Check out Stem footwear. I've been meaning to get a pair of Stems, since I have heard rave reviews on them.
WANT.

http://www.lemsshoes.com/Womens-Boul...rown_p_86.html

I have a feeling a lot of the wear on this pair of VFFs is because I'm working in sand a lot. But still, two months is ridiculous. And the design of the big toe sole lug has made my right big toe permanently numb.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I have NB Minimus and Merrell Pace Gloves that I wear any time I'm not wearing flip flops. I think I may prefer the Dash Glove to the Pace Glove, but the latter is still super comfy.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I wear Brooks PureFlow - my old pair are now my agility and gym shoe - but they are definitely not something I would wear to shovel poop and muck zoo pens in the freezing cold. If I run through a puddle, my foot gets wet. It's just the nature of them being breathable. I think most minimal shoes are going to be like that. And that means if you're shoveling around poop your foot is going to get poop-water-y.

However if you're dead set on it, I've heard GoreTex socks are quite good for keeping your foot warm even when wet.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog