Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

We spend about 50-60 on food/toilettries/basic stuff (like trash bags ect.) as well as water. (It's normal in Europe to buy selzer water in big containers like these:

So thats like an extra 8 a week. (Though you do get money back for bringing back the box with bottles. 1,5 for the container and 0,25 per bottle.)

Thats for the 2 of use, which is OK. Could be better.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Behavior Nerd

We spend about $250-300/month on food for two people, so about $60-75/week. The USDA considers our spending extremely frugal. >.<

Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Resident fainting goat

$50-60 a week usually for one person, I eat twice a day (plus snacks)
I only shop at whole foods (because of proximity more than anything, it's right there)

Bear in mind all fruits/veggies are organic, all meat is organic/cage free. which kind of ups the price. I think it's worth it thought..

- Vegetables take up a lot of the budget (takes A LOT of veggies to juice every day)
- Fruits take another huge chunk (the amount on grapes a lone.. plus berries!)
- I buy rottiserie chickens and they feed me for a while
- Almond milk (the kind I like) is shelf safe so I buy a few of them and they stick around
- Whole wheat pasta/Whole wheat bread (I really like the whole foods generic 365 brand.. still pricey but much less than the other options)

that's most of the budget really..
Other randoms (cereal, random snacks, goodies etc..) are bought like every few months. I don't eat them as much anymore and it sucks as I do feel healthier but it was SO MUCH CHEAPER when more of my diet consisted of this stuff.

Last edited by Fran101; 08-19-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Yeah, I should have added I buy mostly organic foods - we'd probably get buy with a bit less, but it's important to me, since there aren't really any fruits I can have that are none-organic, since I not only react towards fruits but also their pestisides. *yay*

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
On second thought...

I feed just myself at $50 a week which is not easy because I like to cook!

I don't factor in the money I spend going out to eat. Any money I spend going out to eat comes out of my "fun/miscellaneous" budget which is whatever I have left over after paying bills and saving what I need to save for future bills or larger purchases.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Oh, gosh. It varies every week, but I am generally very routine about what I buy so I know how it all evens out.

One of the big staples is eggs. We just recently got a Ruler Foods in town. They sell a dozen large eggs for 59 cents. I buy at least two dozen eggs every week, sometimes four dozen. Cheese is also cheap there, less than two dollars for 8 ounces. Before we had one, I bought cheese at other grocery stores only when it was on sale $2 for 8 ounces.

Meat I shop on sale and on sale only. Four pound bags of chicken for $7-9 depending on how good the sale is. Pork for $2 a pound or less. Bacon is $2-3 a pound.

I buy apples just about every week, $1.79 a pound is the normal price for Granny Smith (my fave) right now - I buy 3-5 at a time so I pay about $2-3 for the bag. I will sometimes buy berries if they are on sale, other times if I really want some (and it's on sale) I might buy a frozen bag. I just bought raspberries last week because they were 11 for $10. Bananas I buy when they are discount because I like a brown banana anyway, and they are seriously dirt cheap when I buy them. Like 29 cents a pound and that's 2-3 bananas? They freeze great too so I will sometimes buy several bunches and freeze them.

For other produce I buy sweet potatoes, sometimes I buy white potatoes, 79-99 cents a pound and the average is about half a pound. The rest of produce I will buy off the discount produce rack, kinda whatever is there that I like, and I'll clean it, process it, and chuck it in my freezer if I don't eat it right away.

I have changed my eating habits a bit but I buy a jar of natural peanut butter about every other week-ish, that's $2.79.

So let's say I buy two dozen eggs ($1.18), a block of cheese ($2) a package of chicken ($9), two pounds of pork ($4), 3 apples ($1.79), a couple sweet potatoes ($1), a bunch of overripe bananas (70 cents), and a jar of peanut butter ($2.79) $22.46 (and I can tell you I don't actually buy chicken and/or pork every week!)

Breakfast would be eggs, cheese, and pork, or banana and egg "cake."
Lunch would be an apple and peanut butter, or a sweet potato, or maybe some leftover protein from dinner.
Dinner would be chicken, pork, sometimes an omelet of some kind.

I've been careful and lately I've been able to do one non-grocery store shopping week every month. But like I said, by the end of that week I legit have NOTHING left to eat (or it's stuff like I have a bag of almonds LOL.)

About every three months I go to Sam's Club with my mom and will buy nuts and dried fruit. It's about $40-60 when I go depending on how much I bought - one time I bought pecans about six months ago (and have used them all of twice.) So that puts me still at $20/week to balance out those "I didn't shop this week" weeks (which is really why I started pushing those non-shopping weeks.)

It all runs down to just being very routine with what I eat. And I waste absolutely nothing. The freezer is my friend.

ETA: Despite being paleo/primal/clean/whatever, I don't buy a **** thing organic/grass-fed/et cetera. I cannot afford it. I get nervous when I make those expensive trips to Sam's Club hence my "I think I'm going to not go grocery shopping this week..." reaction.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Oh, gosh. It varies every week, but I am generally very routine about what I buy so I know how it all evens out.

One of the big staples is eggs. We just recently got a Ruler Foods in town. They sell a dozen large eggs for 59 cents. I buy at least two dozen eggs every week, sometimes four dozen. Cheese is also cheap there, less than two dollars for 8 ounces. Before we had one, I bought cheese at other grocery stores only when it was on sale $2 for 8 ounces.

Meat I shop on sale and on sale only. Four pound bags of chicken for $7-9 depending on how good the sale is. Pork for $2 a pound or less. Bacon is $2-3 a pound.

I buy apples just about every week, $1.79 a pound is the normal price for Granny Smith (my fave) right now - I buy 3-5 at a time so I pay about $2-3 for the bag. I will sometimes buy berries if they are on sale, other times if I really want some (and it's on sale) I might buy a frozen bag. I just bought raspberries last week because they were 11 for $10. Bananas I buy when they are discount because I like a brown banana anyway, and they are seriously dirt cheap when I buy them. Like 29 cents a pound and that's 2-3 bananas? They freeze great too so I will sometimes buy several bunches and freeze them.

For other produce I buy sweet potatoes, sometimes I buy white potatoes, 79-99 cents a pound and the average is about half a pound. The rest of produce I will buy off the discount produce rack, kinda whatever is there that I like, and I'll clean it, process it, and chuck it in my freezer if I don't eat it right away.

I have changed my eating habits a bit but I buy a jar of natural peanut butter about every other week-ish, that's $2.79.

So let's say I buy two dozen eggs ($1.18), a block of cheese ($2) a package of chicken ($9), two pounds of pork ($4), 3 apples ($1.79), a couple sweet potatoes ($1), a bunch of overripe bananas (70 cents), and a jar of peanut butter ($2.79) $22.46 (and I can tell you I don't actually buy chicken and/or pork every week!)

Breakfast would be eggs, cheese, and pork, or banana and egg "cake."
Lunch would be an apple and peanut butter, or a sweet potato, or maybe some leftover protein from dinner.
Dinner would be chicken, pork, sometimes an omelet of some kind.

I've been careful and lately I've been able to do one non-grocery store shopping week every month. But like I said, by the end of that week I legit have NOTHING left to eat (or it's stuff like I have a bag of almonds LOL.)

About every three months I go to Sam's Club with my mom and will buy nuts and dried fruit. It's about $40-60 when I go depending on how much I bought - one time I bought pecans about six months ago (and have used them all of twice.) So that puts me still at $20/week to balance out those "I didn't shop this week" weeks (which is really why I started pushing those non-shopping weeks.)

It all runs down to just being very routine with what I eat. And I waste absolutely nothing. The freezer is my friend.

ETA: Despite being paleo/primal/clean/whatever, I don't buy a **** thing organic/grass-fed/et cetera. I cannot afford it. I get nervous when I make those expensive trips to Sam's Club hence my "I think I'm going to not go grocery shopping this week..." reaction.
HOW MUCH FOR A DOZEN EGGS?!?

MAIL THEM TO ME!!!!!!

I eat so many and eggs here are so expensive!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM
The Littlest Hound

Too much :/ probably $250-300 a month for the two of us. That doesn't count going out...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
HOW MUCH FOR A DOZEN EGGS?!?

MAIL THEM TO ME!!!!!!

I eat so many and eggs here are so expensive!
I was super excited about it when I found out. My dad eats a lot of omelets too so we both go through a TON of eggs... that's a huge substantial savings. It's well worth it for me to make a trip to one more store just to grab eggs and cheese.
At any other grocery store they are $1.29-1.59 depending on the time of year, sometimes I could get them on sale for 99 cents (usually around holidays when they expect people to be baking.)

But I'm also in the Midwest and cost of living here is low anyway. I couldn't imagine if I had to live somewhere like California where cost of EVERYTHING is sky high... ugh.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Are you dead yet?

I spend WAY too much and am looking for ways to cut costs. I tend to buy different foods for myself (diabetic, fat and on a diet) than I do for my roomie (thin, finicky, loves junk food)

I'd say about $75/week for the two of us. More if I get subway one morning, which i'll do occasionally. More if I decide I'm hungry on my lunch break at work . I go out to eat every couple weeks with my girlfriend, that's usually my splurge as far as food goes.