Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
Some states in the USA and Australia, I think they have to be muzzled when walking in public, so that's something you should check. My dogs never wear muzzles, but some choose to keep them on anyway, its up to you. You'll find you get to know your hound and what could potentially trigger a reaction, as to whether you need a muzzle or not.

Major downside is they are a delicate breed, they are healthy, not likely to suffer illnesses that a lot of dogs are prone too, but they are easy to 'break' and don't have a lot of sense when they run. If you get one, you MUST have somewhere flat and enclosed for them to run. Un-even ground is a no-no, and not worth the risk at all.

They generally want to please, but of course, being trained to chase, some never break the instinct, and some can never be let off the lead, others will be fine and have no urge to run off at all each one is different!
They are caught up in some bans because of size, but to my knowledge there are no statewide public muzzling laws directed at greyhounds.
If you had to train them to run they wouldn't be greyhounds, it's all instinct & drive.
They do have thin skin & tend to break toes if taken directly from groomed tracks to hard rocky running grounds, but they are not particularly fragile. Several have become good jack rabbit (hare), coon, fox & coyote dogs even though they were not good racers.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Once upon a time, I was around Greys all the time and even raised a Grey puppy (and no Grey puppies aren't "the worst puppies in the world" LOL). I have more experience with the non-track bred dogs but Greys are Greys basically. You have gotten excellent info on them in this thread.

My experience has been much the same with them living with prey animals. Many are ok with them in the house but outside I would not be inclined to trust a Grey to not to get predatory towards small animals running. Not even if the dog has always lived with 20 cats and loves your pet bunny. Not even if he was a total dud as a race dog. This isn't to say that Greys can never be trained to recall but more of a precaution if you have indoor-outdoor cats. ITA about them loose with small dogs too. Things can get predatory when mixing Greys and small dogs, even with the most dog social, tolerant, sweet Grey. Someone brought a track rescue to my old work who had seriously mangled their neighbor's Mini Schnauzer after he saw the dog running in his yard and pushed through the door. This was not a dog aggressive dog at all but prey driven.

I think the issue of Greys with kids is a bit tricky. Greys overall are not "aggressive" dogs. They aren't guard dogs and as mentioned they tend to be really stoic. I think the majority are ok with children overall but there are some reoccurring issues I have seen in both track and home raised Greys with kids. The sleep/startle aggression is one of those issues - dogs who when startled react with teeth first, think later. And probably related is dogs who are resource guardy about kids getting in their space when they're resting or who get weird about kids hugging on them. I've known a few retired racers who were returned because of that, one after he bit a young kid in the face And that dog was not really what I would call "aggressive", he just didn't want a hug while he was laying down. I have known Greys who were totally stoic with kids too, patiently waiting for the owner to remedy the uncomfortable situation. So they can be good with kids but it depends on the kids, the expectations and the dog. The one I raised also lived with young kids on and off from the time she was 8 weeks old. She loved the kids, slept with them on bed with them, followed them around, did tricks for them...but would also sometimes growl or snap at them if they bothered her while she was resting.

Health wise, they tend to be structurally healthy in terms of hip and elbow dysplasia are really uncommon. They can develop some eye issues - I know I've heard of them having Pannus. Cardiomyopathy can be an issue with them. And they are a breed that bone cancer is more common in than the average dog. Bloat is a concern with Greys. They tend to have poor dental health but that is something raw feeding can dramatically help with. One of the Greys I knew had to have dentals every 6 months until once, she almost didn't wake up from her dental. She was then put on raw food and lived to be very old, never needed another dental. And yeah, so many pet Greys are...well...fat. Most come off the track in fit condition. IME They aren't necessarily all that fragile, although they can get skin tears easily but the ones I knew were loose together or with other dogs all the time, no muzzles and they weren't getting serious injuries from normal play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
If you had to train them to run they wouldn't be greyhounds, it's all instinct & drive.
Yep

And they do love to run. So much so that I think it's a bit sad that many people feel that because you can get away with leashed walks and little "real" exercise, they don't really need anything more. I personally wouldn't have a Grey unless they could really, really run at least a few times per week. They aren't the type of dog who is going to be hard to live with if they don't get that but I just can't see having a dog who was bred to run and not giving them the chance to do so. I have this imagine forever in my mind of taking a Grey outside as the sun was getting low and having her spot geese on the other side of the pond. She was around the pound in no time, running as hard as she could while a huge flock of geese took flight right in front her, low in the sky. That is a Greyhound to me, that is what I think of when I think of them - that dog in a full out run across the pond from me, setting sun, hot breathe in crisp air, running as though she could grab a bird right out of the sky.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Yep

And they do love to run. So much so that I think it's a bit sad that many people feel that because you can get away with leashed walks and little "real" exercise, they don't really need anything more. I personally wouldn't have a Grey unless they could really, really run at least a few times per week. They aren't the type of dog who is going to be hard to live with if they don't get that but I just can't see having a dog who was bred to run and not giving them the chance to do so. I have this imagine forever in my mind of taking a Grey outside as the sun was getting low and having her spot geese on the other side of the pond. She was around the pound in no time, running as hard as she could while a huge flock of geese took flight right in front her, low in the sky. That is a Greyhound to me, that is what I think of when I think of them - that dog in a full out run across the pond from me, setting sun, hot breathe in crisp air, running as though she could grab a bird right out of the sky.
Right birds & good open running and they can in fact grab birds right out of the air. Roosevelt's brother caught turkey with them in west TX. Sonic has just barely missed geese taking off. We'll take another shot at sitters if we get another hard winter. We're also going to take a shot at pheasant this fall as we only recently discovered some in the area.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
They aren't the type of dog who is going to be hard to live with if they don't get that but I just can't see having a dog who was bred to run and not giving them the chance to do so.
I feel the same way.

We moved out to the country and fenced as much as we could (some of it is pasture plus we have a "normal" yard) for the hounds. Mine run every single day. They are fit, happy, and healthy. I also have some hounds that lure course and straight race. I'd share pictures but photobucket is being a pain.

I don't muzzle mine at home but I know my dogs. They play rough but they don't seriously injure each other. A minor scratch may pop up occasionally.

Last edited by Gazehounds; 08-17-2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: info
Old 08-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
That has been my experience as well.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I've known soooooooooo many people with retired greyhounds and they are usually HOOKED on them. They're addictive apparently.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Once upon a time, I was around Greys all the time and even raised a Grey puppy (and no Grey puppies aren't "the worst puppies in the world" LOL). I have more experience with the non-track bred dogs but Greys are Greys basically. You have gotten excellent info on them in this thread.

And they do love to run. So much so that I think it's a bit sad that many people feel that because you can get away with leashed walks and little "real" exercise, they don't really need anything more.
Just my opinion, but I think Greyhounds are the best puppies in the world and while I read and hear constantly about them being horrible, called "landsharks" etc. I think they are awesome!

And I agree. I find it really sad the number of people who never let their Greyhounds run. They treat them like fragile china and never let them be what they truly are.

Mine run free at least once a week and the joy on their faces are priceless.

Puppy from an accidental litter at the track

Another puppy- Mom stepped on him and broke his leg. His 2 brothers are in training to race now.

Joey is now bigger than Ronon!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Awwww Grey puppies are so adorable!

This is the puppy I raised, yes she has a giant bald spot on her head. She was born with a bad infection on her head, which healed but never grew hair.

Her and Loki were BFFs...Loki liked Hannah more than she has ever liked any other dog!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Twin 2

I might possibly be talking to a breeder about a greyhound puppy. This thread is not helping.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I've never seen a greyhound pup before! How cuteeeeee!

For the record, I'm pretty sure standard poodles puppies might be the worst. I'm sitting my an 8 month old SPoo pup next week and I'm dreading it a little.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.