Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
And I have never seen a slow golden. Some middle of the road but most are SUPER fast. Awesome dogs.
Same here! We have some insanely cool goldens in our area. One club member just got MACH12 on her older golden, who routinely beats the BC. Gusto's bestest friend Kippie, who has been pictured in many of Gusto's picture threads, just became the youngest golden in history to get his MACH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki7...=TLTkGyMK6MKc8

This was the first clip I could find; I swear the dog has just gotten faster.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm All Ears

I'm definitely not offended. I dot have a golden and probably won't ever just because I am not sure the retriever temperament is right for me. But I do think they get overlooked a lot for agility dogs or people think of them all as very low drive and boring, which hasn't been my experience. There are certainly extremely drivey goldens out there if you want that. However a lot of them are a lot of dog.

I am not sure the breeding on all the dogs I see around here. There was a pretty good golden showing at AKC nationals as well. Again not sure about the lines of the dogs.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

I just want to compete at a hobby level so maybe a golden would be good. They're just so...common? Easy? I don't know, they're fantastic dogs but I find them a little boring.

I'm not really a lab fan either. Also great dogs, but not for me.

Interesting point about some Aussies being DA/selective. I know many but most of them are from farm breeders/BYBers/Mennonite mills. So not exactly representative. I know a great breeder and his dogs are wonderful but his foundation bitch and all her offspring are the barkiest dogs I've ever met.

Any thoughts on the standard poodle for suitability? I've never seen one dock dive but I'm hardly well versed in the sport.

What about BCs?
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm All Ears

Talking

A lot of BCs are similar to Aussies in my experience (well most herders really) in that they tend to be less overly dog friendly than sporting breeds. Not all of course but many are 'fun police' type personalities. I've known quite a few DA or selective border collies. In general sporting dogs seem much less prone to dog-dog issues in my experience.

Aussies are definitely loudmouths.

I would not call the goldens I know easy, just different than a herder. They are very intense dogs in their own way. And these dogs are competing at a far higher level than what I'd call 'hobby'. I definitely understand not being a retriever person though. I'm not but I think a lot of 'dog people' overlook the group.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

It's just so cliché in my work environment to have a golden. Its a terribly Silly reason to not have one, I know, but every vet, tech and receptionist I work with that has a dog, has a golden! LOL

I think they're really the ideal dog for my husband though, who is so not a dog person.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

A setter. English or Gordon. Probably not Irish, unfortunately, though if you can find a good one, they're still a good working dog.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
A setter. English or Gordon. Probably not Irish, unfortunately, though if you can find a good one, they're still a good working dog.
Ahh never considered these guys either! Why not Irish? What about a red and white?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM
F150 and a .30-06

What about a Weim? A friend of mine breeds them and I really like them. Versatile friendly yet protective. Tons of energy and hers do agility

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
Ahh never considered these guys either! Why not Irish? What about a red and white?
Irish Setters are considered the "dumb blondes" of the dog world. Not to be offensive but... they seem to be very derpy as a whole.

I LOVE the Irish Red & Whites I've met!

I also ADORE French Brittanys! They seem to be very different from the "regular/American" Brittanys I used to be around.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I'm definitely not offended. I dot have a golden and probably won't ever just because I am not sure the retriever temperament is right for me. But I do think they get overlooked a lot for agility dogs or people think of them all as very low drive and boring, which hasn't been my experience. There are certainly extremely drivey goldens out there if you want that. However a lot of them are a lot of dog.

I am not sure the breeding on all the dogs I see around here. There was a pretty good golden showing at AKC nationals as well. Again not sure about the lines of the dogs.
Okay! As long as I didn't p--- anyone off! Like I said, the maritimes tend to be very behind when it comes to anything& especially dogs! I love labs& goldens ..as long as someone else owns them! I'm forever a Vizsla and whateverherderismynextbreed person