Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Top Dog

Default Yet another pick-a-breed thread!

So I'm musing over Nextdog who is still likely a couple years in the future but this will be the first time I actually purposefully choose a dog. (The last two have been failed foster dogs).

First and foremost, I need a dog that's good with kids, since we now have one. And after having two dog-selective dogs, I need one that is social and dog friendly. These two things are the most important.

I prefer something that is medium to large sized. (40-100lbs)

I have no preference for coat type, coloring, etc.

I'm really interested in doing dock dogs, possibly agility and therapy work with kids and seniors. So I want a dog who likes to work but that can also be calm and soft.

I've had a pitbull and a boxer mix.
I would have another pitbull in a heartbeat but I live in Ontario.

Breeds I've considered are standard poodles, golden retrievers (though they seem a little too easy/common/boring to me), springer or Brittany spaniels, Australian shepherds.

Any other suggestions? Any insight into the above breeds?
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Top Dog

english shepherd

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Vizsla mom

Vizsla? Penn could easily do all those things you listed. She was going to a dock diving competition until she came down with kennel cough, she trains in agility& will compete once she's 18months, 44lbs so on the smaller end of your weight wants but she's super good with our nephews. She jumped on Finn (3) once (she was 7 months old), he toppled, she got the mean voice& never again. Now she plays with both the boys (3& 5) with absolutely no issues& they adore her. She'll tolerate anything from anyone.. she has endless patience.Penn has zero issues being social or dog friendly. I can take her to a dog park, the pet store, huge outdoor concerts or anywhere without a fear of her behavior. She's a dream that way for sure.

Penny's mom& aunt are both therapy dogs in Halifax. I know a group of Vizslas from my breeder do therapy work so it definitely isn't out of the question.. I suppose Penn could do it as well because she's very cuddly& gentle when it comes to snuggling. If I had the desire to train her for it, I'm sure she could do it in a heartbeat!

Golden retrievers are some of the slowesttttttt dogs to run agility ever. I've seen about 20 compete& not one has had speed. They've all done what they were asked but they are almost always getting time faults! I know they most likely can be motivated to have speed (I've seen in on youtube LOL), I just think it would probably be a lot of work.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

I really, really adore my Springers. A well bred one is going to be dog social and love, love, love interacting with humans. They should be able to go-go-go when asked but also settle nicely when asked. Many require more grooming than is obvious, but if you can learn how to trim feet/ears/tail, that's all I really do between "major" groomings.

I've been waffling about future dogs but I keep coming back to spaniels in general, and I've loved my Springers.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Ahhh I'm not sure why but I forgot about/ never considered vizslas! Great suggestion! They are some of the cutest pups ever and I like that long lean body type.

The things you mentioned about goldens are things I've thought of too! Not enough **** and vinegar for me. Not driven enough.

We have a show line springer that comes to the clinic. He's one of my favorite dogs. He's gorgeous and would be perfect for therapy work. He seems to have a lot of health issues though (I know many if not most breeds do!) so that concerns me a tiny but.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post

Golden retrievers are some of the slowesttttttt dogs to run agility ever. I've seen about 20 compete& not one has had speed. They've all done what they were asked but they are almost always getting time faults! I know they most likely can be motivated to have speed (I've seen in on youtube LOL), I just think it would probably be a lot of work.
And I have never seen a slow golden. Some middle of the road but most are SUPER fast. Awesome dogs.

The sport goldens I know are far from easy or boring dogs. They are as high as most border collies, just in a different way. There is one lady in Texas that is very well known and runs some akc up here occasionally and runs goldens. Her dogs generally keep in pace or out-compete the border collies. Most of her students (or at least many) run goldens and run them well. However this person breeds their own dogs generally.

There's also a girl running masters up in the local usdaa trials with a golden boy and he is very impressive too. I don't know his lines but he is one of my favorite dogs in the region competing. He's electric to watch. Very high drive and fast.

My friend runs a pet golden and she's a nice little dog for 'hobby level'. She's not quite as drivey but is very far from slow. Nice dog with a sweet temperament. A little boisterous but she is young. I do notice goldens can take a bit to mature.

Anyways, my thought was retriever. Lab was what I thought of first but a golden could work too. I adore Aussies but honestly many I've met are either dog selective or somewhat dog aggressive. Not all of course but they are far from one of the most dog friendly breeds I can think of. They're generally great working around other dogs but some can be a little jerky. And I've seen tht in both show and working lines. I think that kind of behavior/intolerance is pretty typical in most herders.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm All Ears

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqLEdPdwLy8

Slow and not drivey? I love watching this lady's dogs.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Vizsla mom

Maybe because I'm in the maritimes (and we always behind the times), the breed of Golden hasn't made it here. Mostly the Goldens running come from show homes. I do know a guy who plans on getting his new Golden from somewhere in the States& he runs agility ..so perhaps I'll get to see a Golden with drive. I didn't mean to insult you.. I did say I've seen them do exceptionally well on youtube. Just that the 20 or so I've seen competing, haven't been up to the youtube standards!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Not slow, very healthy springer locally.
http://youtu.be/uoYXapjd2Dc

Also River, not slow, local Golden.
http://youtu.be/Yom7QvII4IY
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Vizsla mom

I know of a few speedy springers competing locally.

This is what I'm used to seeing when I see Goldens compete locally- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0dDnao8bj4

Sorry.. I really didn't mean anything by my comment other than what I said. The ones I've seen in person are slow but I've seen fast ones on the internet.