Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Twin 2.0

Ask her what her incidences of epilepsy are in her lines as well.

It's a fairly sparse website as far as information goes. Nice pictures, but not much to go on otherwise. Email, visit, talk to some of the other kennels they've gotten dogs from or sold dogs to.

Also, I love this index listing: http://www.blueearthnet.com/australi.../location.html
Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I can give you a good breeder in Alberta if you want.

PM me if you want it

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the link zoom! But a lot of them don't say where the breeders are located, just that they are in TX and let me tell you TX is VERY big...lol

Now I know a lot of people have gotten puppies from far away, but is this a good idea? Would it be better for me to find a breeder as close as possible? If I have to go far away, what is the best way to go about that?

This is my first time to go through a responsible breeder, and I really want to do this right.

I have sent out a couple e-mails to breeders, the one I posted and http://www.rainydayaussies.com/ which I found on the link from Zoom, but I have no idea where in TX they are located.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

Yay! They are located here!! But the breeder is gone at a show this week, but after she gets back we can visit and I can maybe go meet their dogs!! Yay!! I am soo excited!!

Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

Have you checked through the AS Texas Club ??? They would only recommend good breeders . I'm very pleased that you are looking ahead.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 05-12-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: cf
Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

I dont think I have heard of the AS Texan Club.

This time I am definitely trying to do this right. EVen though I wouldnt trade Zoe for the world I know she came from a bad breeder and this time I am going to do it right. (Here she is laying by my feet with the ball between her legs waiting for me to throw it...lol...then she stops to look out the door before bringing it back...lol...sorry she is soo cute)

Anyways, so Im really hoping to do this right this time. Only it is going to be soo hard to wait til 2008!

Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

just do your homework, aussies can have alot of health problems, WEIRD ones , been there done that.

Also ask the breeder if she's had her dogs MDR1 gene tested. It's a sensitivity gene and IF they carry it, depending on the level, normal doses of certain drugs can literally kill them. IF she's unaware of this MDR1 thing, then Id say she isn't as informed about aussies as she should be.

Another kennel who's dogs I like, and I think are in TX, not sure tho, is Slydrock, I also just saw a posting for a kennel in louisiana, hammond to be exact, and I would "kill" for this puppy they have available is "Goldring" Australian Shepherds, I've gon thru this website (goldring) and she is definately someone I would buy a dog from. Her dogs are very versatile and she sounds like she knows her stuff.

Diane
Old 05-14-2006, 06:10 PM
and Fozzie B!

It is your choice, completely. Having the next 2 years to search and create friendships with breeders is awesome! 2 years will fly by =)

The only issue I always worry about with working breeders, is the question of whether or not they actually WORK their dogs. With Aussies, this means regularly herding livestock and/or trialing. IMO, their conformation/agility/rally/etc awards are useless if their dogs have not been proven on livestock. I know lots of Aussies from both working lines and show lines, and there is a big difference! I totally prefer working Aussies, they are more focused and less bouncing-off-the-walls and yapping. I was in search of a working Aussie breeder before I got my rescue pup . One of their breeding dogs does have a HIC (Herding Instinct Certificate), but that title takes a whole afternoon to achieve, so it does't mean that much. It basically says the dog is keen on livestock - not that they can actually work, and work well. My BC has a HIC, and he is far from ever being able to trial! It is your choice, just consider if you want a low-drive Aussie or an Aussie that can excel at what it was bred to do.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

I think it's pretty easy to tell from a breeder if they work their dogs, then they should have the working titles to back them up. There tend to be alot of aussie breeders who themselves have their own "thing" but are producing dogs that are titled/proven on livestock.

There is a big difference between the show/working lines as with 90% of the other herding/working breeds. I prefer a breeder who's dogs do it all. I want a structurally sound dog that can work. So I tend to like titles at both ends.
I have two aussies, one out of los rocosa lines who is a quiet serious worker and the female I have is out HOF lines , so it's a mix of show/working. While she is far from serious, she is much more demanding and high maintenance than the working line male.

There is a wide variety in the aussie world, for me the most important things are good health, good temperament and structural soundness.
Diane
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

First of all, good for you for doing things the right way! If everyone took the time to find a responsible breeder, than we wouldn't have so many problems with homeless pets and health issues . Anyways, the website looks good. The only thing I saw was that they are also breeding/showing corgis. That's a lot of dogs to take care of, and personally I prefer breeders who specialize in only one breed. But if they have the money and time to care for all those dogs, than go for it.