Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Top Dog

Question what do you think?

of this kennel? It is so far the closest Australian Shepherd breeder I have found....if you know of any in or close to the Texas Panhandle, please post them!

http://www.spotlightaussies.com/

Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Best thing to do is call them and ask to visit their kennels..

You can't tell much from a website.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Agree !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
F150 and a .30-06

So far I dont see any red flags. The dogs look nice and they do other stuff as well as Conformation.

Give them a call

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Do you think it is to early to be contacting them since I won't be getting a pup until 2008?

Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

It's never too early. Honestly, I prefer to contact breeders *far* in advance of the time I am going to purchase my puppy. It allows me to get to know the breeder, and it shows the breeder just how serious I am about obtaining a puppy from them. Case in point, although it will probably be *years* from now, I have been talking to an Akita breeder that I really admire since September of 2 years ago. We see each other at local shows whenever I get the chance, and I end up hanging out with her crew, helping with dogs ringside, and making a TON of new friends in a breed that I have yet to own. I have been to her home, offered a kennel-sitting position when she was attending Westminster (curse that little thing called college...always getting in the way, LOL), and met many of the most influential dogs in not only her breeding program, but the world of Akitas. Being around her dogs for extended periods of time further convinced me how much I would like a puppy from her.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Its not too early. Its good to have a relationship with your breeder.
I wish I knew the name of the lady who does OB classes close by me. She has some really nice Aussies. Very obediant and beautiful. WHat little charactors they are. She brings them to class as an example of what she is trying to teach.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Are you dead yet?

They seem okay, though I echo the suggestion to visit them first.

Honestly my biggest problem is that their Aussies do seem to be show dogs and little more. I only saw two dogs out of their 10 or so with more than one title in obedience and agility. Aussies should be working dogs first and foremost, imo. The dogs do have lovely structure but I would be sure to meet them to make sure that they are not simply Golden Retrievers in Aussie suits.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Loves off-leash training!

Im glad to see that they're working their dogs in performance events - I'm surprised not to see more mention of herding, though, since they are emphasizing that they want dogs that maintain their "working ability".

I'm a stickler for health testing (have seen so many bad things when I was a vet tech) and I'm glad to see that they have listed OFA's and eye testing on their males. But the females have no health testing listed, and I didn't see one mention of testing for elbow dysplasia. I would definitely question that.

They're sure doing more with their dogs than the typical breeder! That's good to see. I think they have eight adults listed, which is a lot to work with.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 05-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

I have aussies as well as GSD's, and the site looks good to me, her dogs are versatile altho I didn't see any health testing, (maybe I missed that).

It never hurts to speak to breeders and do your homework. Good breeders love talking about their dogs, and would more than welcome a visitor. Ask if you can go meet her dogs.

Aussies are great, but can be high maintenance *vbg*
diane