Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Thank you for all of the replies!

I will reword her ad a little bit and I'm working on getting some video. I will call around about some hip xrays, and I got in touch with the agility lady that I work with to get a performance eval done. I really wanted to take her to a flyball workout, but the days don't ever line up for me.

I'm not involved nor overly interested in dog sports. Thus, other than my ACD dog sport friends online, I'm not in touch with many other dog sport people locally. I am working with a local BC rescue to cross post and do courtesy listings. I think a lot of it may be my area, too.. Most people would rather buy from a newspaper than rescue, tbh.

I'm now starting to doubt myself on whether or not she's a sports prospect. I guess the eval next Thursday will tell me.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I do think it's hard for people not connected in the dog sports world to get random mixed breed rescue dogs into sport homes. So you may not be doing anything wrong, maybe you just don't have the right connections.
This is one of those things that can work for or against you. At first, it's a hurdle. But if you are successful and you get a couple good placements that are then out competing and doing well, it can have a cumulative effect and help you get more future placements. Sounds like that's probably the situation with mfan's post above. And I know of a BC rescue guy near where I used to live with that reputation...if people want a rescue agility dog, especially a BC, they will often go to him and outline what they are looking for, and he has connections in rescue that he's built up over the years who often tell him if they have a potential sport prospect, and he works to match up the parties (so I've heard, I haven't looked at getting a dog through him but have heard excellent reviews from several people).

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
This is one of those things that can work for or against you. At first, it's a hurdle. But if you are successful and you get a couple good placements that are then out competing and doing well, it can have a cumulative effect and help you get more future placements. Sounds like that's probably the situation with mfan's post above. And I know of a BC rescue guy near where I used to live with that reputation...if people want a rescue agility dog, especially a BC, they will often go to him and outline what they are looking for, and he has connections in rescue that he's built up over the years who often tell him if they have a potential sport prospect, and he works to match up the parties (so I've heard, I haven't looked at getting a dog through him but have heard excellent reviews from several people).
Huh, that is way cool. I'm sorry that I forgot to include you in my OP as I know you run your two rescues seriously as well. Kim and Web are awesome.

Also, I'm in Kalamazoo, MI.. Lucy is 3 or 4.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Active Pup

Like Shai said, it's a process and often the first couple are really difficult. People do know now that I take in working breeds (mainly Border Collies, Malinois, and Dutch Shepherds) and place them accordingly. Obviously, not all the dogs I rescue want to work, but I luckily have the connections to place them in a great pet home as well. I have had people come to me and tell me what they're looking for and that they'd like to rescue - if they still haven't gotten a dog by the time I come across one that fits the bill, it's a fast and great placement.

Lucy's age is unfortunately a "con" in most people's eyes. Many people who rescue performance dogs want two years and under. I rarely have people ask specifically for a puppy - most seem to like around a year, which is old enough to know the raw drive and stability of the dog.

What you want to ask yourself is does Lucy absolutely need to be in a sport home? Naturally, all (or most) dogs would benefit from doing fun activities like agility and obedience classes, but not all dogs need it to lead a long, fulfilling life. Some of the dogs I've gotten are so high drive and energy that most non-sport people would not know how to handle those dogs. Other the other hand, some of the other dogs I've had (mostly Border Collies) lack any kind of toy drive but generally would jump off of any tall building for food. They were still adopted by sport homes, primarily because of their breed, age, etc. I could have easily just placed them into good pet homes and they would've lead active, happy lives.

Sorry, not trying to be so negative, I promise! It's great that you are being very picky about where she's going. If you want her in a sport home, you'll find it, I'm sure.

BAX TO THE FUTURE MX MXJ MJB OF CAA CGC
"Baxter" All American (Hound Mix)

FANFARE'S BLACK PEARL CAA CGC
"Avery" All American (Australian Shepherd Mix)

"Ziva" Dutch Shepherd

Last edited by mfan; 08-11-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

I do think her age will be a bit of a negative; I got Meg at about 18 months, and that was pretty ideal for me.

I agree that, if she doesn't specifically need a sports home, staying really open to "active pet home" would be good. In our area, a nice herding or retriever type dog that can keep up with long hikes and be off-leash is a huge selling point - especially if they are old enough to already be house-broken and can stay home during a work day. We have a very active population in general, and people are often looking for hiking and camping buddies.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfan View Post
Like Shai said, it's a process and often the first couple are really difficult. People do know now that I take in working breeds (mainly Border Collies, Malinois, and Dutch Shepherds) and place them accordingly. Obviously, not all the dogs I rescue want to work, but I luckily have the connections to place them in a great pet home as well. I have had people come to me and tell me what they're looking for and that they'd like to rescue - if they still haven't gotten a dog by the time I come across one that fits the bill, it's a fast and great placement.

Lucy's age is unfortunately a "con" in most people's eyes. Many people who rescue performance dogs want two years and under. I rarely have people ask specifically for a puppy - most seem to like around a year, which is old enough to know the raw drive and stability of the dog.

What you want to ask yourself is does Lucy absolutely need to be in a sport home? Naturally, all (or most) dogs would benefit from doing fun activities like agility and obedience classes, but not all dogs need it to lead a long, fulfilling life. Some of the dogs I've gotten are so high drive and energy that most non-sport people would not know how to handle those dogs. Other the other hand, some of the other dogs I've had (mostly Border Collies) lack any kind of toy drive but generally would jump off of any tall building for food. They were still adopted by sport homes, primarily because of their breed, age, etc. I could have easily just placed them into good pet homes and they would've lead active, happy lives.

Sorry, not trying to be so negative, I promise! It's great that you are being very picky about where she's going. If you want her in a sport home, you'll find it, I'm sure.
I appreciate all of your help! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I do think her age will be a bit of a negative; I got Meg at about 18 months, and that was pretty ideal for me.

I agree that, if she doesn't specifically need a sports home, staying really open to "active pet home" would be good. In our area, a nice herding or retriever type dog that can keep up with long hikes and be off-leash is a huge selling point - especially if they are old enough to already be house-broken and can stay home during a work day. We have a very active population in general, and people are often looking for hiking and camping buddies.
I'm definitely not against her being in an active pet home... she's thriving in mine, for example. I'm not going to rule out a forever home just because they don't want to do dog sports at all. I guess part of it is that I feel people in dog sports tend to know more about training and how to handle a female ACDxBC. Lucy isn't great with all dogs and can be a little bit of the stereotypical ACD witch and she's already been returned once to rescue after a year in a home because she dug up flowers. I may just be being a little over protective.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Are you sure Miss Lucy isn't already in her home?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

Something else to consider if it hasn't already been stated. Advertising a dog as a sports prospect can scare off some people that want a companion first and haven't done any sports before. They often don't understand words like biddable either. Saying tons of play drive and tugging, agile, handler focus and fast can be twisted around in a novices head to mean, hyper, needy and high maintenance. One of those double edged swords. Good luck finding a great home, it will happen.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

There are actually quite a few rescue dogs who have gone on to be some serious champions in dog sports, so it does happen. It's just a matter of waiting for the right person to come along.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
On second thought...

If you have a bio for her and want specific feedback on it you could post it. Even if you already posted it on chaz people weren't necessarily looking at it trying to find ways to make it sound most appealing while still remaining true.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.