Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Dog Sports and Rescue.

Why don't they seem to go together? A dog that is perfect for dog sports gets no interest other than pet homes that may or may not be suitable.

Toy drive, play drive, tug drive. Handler focus and biddablility. Agile, quick. Good general focus. Pretty confident. Old enough to start right into everything; no waiting for growth plates to close, ect. Really no start to foundations or anything, so basically a clean slate as far as sports go.

Why? Is it because most sport people like to start puppies? Like to keep their dog intact? Like to know there isn't hip/elbow/all other types of health issues?

I'm seriously curious. Maybe I'm just not advertising correctly? There just seems to be no interest (other than BostonBanker, who is maxed out on dogs unfortunately).

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

I've actually never noticed that trend but I'm certainly not as 'heavily' involved in dog sports as some. But I'd say in my few agility classes it was pretty much 50/50 with dogs from breeders and rescues.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't think the two don't go together. I know a lot of people that run rescue dogs or are really involved in rescue and agility. My trainer right now is running a rescue border collie and he's very talented and a great dog.

The local part of border collie rescue seems to be made up of sports folks. They have their foster dogs at most agility trials. They always have a booth set up and seem to get quite a bit of exposure there among the sports crowd.

For me there's a lot of reasons I want a puppy. Mostly because my dogs are so small and I want to be able to watch interactions from puppyhood/mold that behavior. I also just plain want a puppy. I like them and find them fun to raise.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Why don't they seem to go together? A dog that is perfect for dog sports gets no interest other than pet homes that may or may not be suitable.

Toy drive, play drive, tug drive. Handler focus and biddablility. Agile, quick. Good general focus. Pretty confident. Old enough to start right into everything; no waiting for growth plates to close, ect. Really no start to foundations or anything, so basically a clean slate as far as sports go.

Why? Is it because most sport people like to start puppies? Like to keep their dog intact? Like to know there isn't hip/elbow/all other types of health issues?

I'm seriously curious. Maybe I'm just not advertising correctly? There just seems to be no interest (other than BostonBanker, who is maxed out on dogs unfortunately).
Well, I can tell you that it seems in Disc most people rescue like crazy!

I can't tell you overall why but I can tell you MY why's.

A: I like puppies. A lot. I like raising them, I like the puppy factor, I just like puppies. But I won't do a puppy out of a shelter because too many unknowns for me.

B: I want my dog intact. Now, if I found the perfect rescue that was intact and they were willing to let me do a vasectomy or OSS then I might be on board.

C: Health and unknown. Kaylee is in the last stages of bone cancer. I want to do everything in my power to avoid things like this and getting dogs from healthy lines is what I see as my best bet.

Injuries from sports or life terrify me so again, I want lines of hardy dogs.

All this being said, I would do an adult rescue if all the stars aligned, but I kinda am stuck on Koolies soo yeah.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't speak for everyone, and the majority of my dogs are rescue and do/did do sports, so take it with a grain of salt...

(1) A lot of sport people get pups from people they know in sports. Dogs they've worked with, admired, mutual acquaintances, that sort of thing. So they may have been waiting a year or three to get this puppy from this dog they really like from their sport experience...add in say three-five years between dogs and you have a four to eight year gap in which they aren't in the rescue market...and by then they've fallen for their dog or another dog and want one from that line so they are waiting again...

(2) In general, if you get a rescue dog, you get a neutered dog. Not everyone is crazy about that idea, especially in puppies.

(3) Disconnect in language/perception. This is by no means universal but I know I personally have been recommended rescue dogs that were "driven" and they were really just hyper spazes. More than once. Kind of undermines the trust.

(4) Long term health/fitness. For my next dog, I'm looking at dogs whose grandparents, etc. were competing and sound when they hit double-digits. Not something you can know with a rescue, though to be fair with any dog it's just stacking odds, not a guarantee.

(5) Some people just like puppies. I do. But puppies are kind of a shot in the dark...they are prospects at best...so knowing their extended family history is pretty important when it comes to figuring out if they are going to turn out the way you want. Ever try structurally evaluating a five month old puppy? It's a scary stage of life for many dogs lol.

(6) Getting the word out. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the info to the right people. Someone who may not be looking at a rescue may still be open to the right one...but since they aren't looking, they need to be shown. How to do that...I'm not sure. I went looking for mine.

That's not an all-encompassing list and not all points apply to all people/situations, but just some food for thought.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

I do agility with my rescue and will only ever compete rescues.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Well obviously I'm the exception to the rule (although I don't really see as much lack of interest in rescues as sports dogs in real life as I do on forums).

How are you advertising? I've already forgotten to look where you are located (now I did - not close enough for me to be of use as far as recommending specific places). I'd check with both BC and ACD rescues in your area to see if they will do courtesy listings; both are breeds where you are quite likely to get sports people looking at breed specific rescues.

Are you taking her to trials/comps? Bring her to an agility trial. Get her tugging or doing tricks. Talk to people and let them know she's looking for a home and you think she'd do great in sports.

Ask if you can post her at any training centers in the area that do sports training.

Start teaching foundations if you aren't already. Get her happy tugging in all situations. Teach a good stay, and how to "set up" for a start line. Work on shadow handling. I wouldn't worry about teaching her equipment (unless you have a ton of experience in it), because people will want things done "their" way. But foundations are great, and show how trainable she is.

Why don't sports people want rescues? Because they are crazy

The early neuter thing will matter to some; again, I find it matters less in the real world. My friend who runs a rescue got in a super cute BC/Jack type puppy who very clearly needed a sports/super active home. Spayed at 4 months. I told her I thought it would be an issue. The puppy got place in an agility home within about 3 days.

Some people want puppies. Fair enough. I happen to not like them much! 8 months - 16 months is perfect for me to start a young dog. Everyone has different preferences.

I don't know, we've got a pretty big group of rescue dogs running in our region. The closeness of Glen Highland Farm and NEBCR means we get tons of rescue BCs. One of the regular venders at the trials in our region does work with ACD rescue, so some of those come through.

I would guess (without knowing what you've been doing with her) that marketing is your issue. Maybe age. How old is she?

Back from reading her Petfinder ad to add a few other things that might help. #1 thing that jumps out at me is "takes corrections well" or something along those lines. I would instantly be concerned that someone is correcting a dog who is shy with people, and might be turned off from even responding to the ad. There are situations where I know the statement would make sense and be pretty unconcerning (corrections from other dogs? corrections while herding?), but I wouldn't want to start a dog in sports who had been correction trained.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm All Ears

I definitely agree that taking her to trials and also getting some videos of her working/playing (some way to show drive) would help. Like I said he border collie rescue here does a lot of that and I know several people with their dogs now.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Err, and yeah there are a lot of rescues here doing agility. Both purebred and not (though mostly purebreds, especially BCs). It's not at all uncommon.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Being active in that sport would help a ton (I have no clue if you are or not). I know when a rescue says agility prospect, I tend to think hobby-level agility prospect unless I know the foster and know they were able to evaluate the dog properly.

Also, sport prospect is a generic term. A disc person isn't looking for the same things as an agility person, or flyball. Yes, there are dogs that excel in all of those things but generally they are better at one versus another.

I lucked out, I found Zuma. She was not advertised as a sport dog at all, but there's no way she would have been happy in a pet home. I saw her video and took a gamble meeting her and she was exactly what I needed.