Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: How much on a collar?
$25 and under 12 21.05%
$50 and under 13 22.81%
$75 and under 17 29.82%
$100 and under 6 10.53%
Over $100 9 15.79%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't think I've ever spent over $15 for a collar.

A picture from earlier this week should illustrate why... they are both wearing 1" wide collars here. And I don't like collars even that wide...if it weren't for the safety factor, I'd prefer having them all in round narrow tag collars all the time.

And I had just adjusted Kim's so it was more on top of her fur than is natural. Usually it's more like this...she has more coat than you'd think:

As long as the collar is safe, sturdy, and doesn't damage their coat I'm pretty much okay with it. I'd rather save my pennies for a dog walk I guess

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 08-08-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Water Junkie

Considering I paid $102 for Blaze's Paco Zuma (which includes shipping) I had to put over $100. I, however, don't regret it all. That collar will last forever and STILL look nice.

Right around the $100 mark is sort of where I start to draw lines. Paco has some that are $150 range and I just can't ever see spending that. I can get some of the same design in a less expensive design they have.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

This thread gave me the motivation to get my three nice leather collars out. I need to clean them :0

And then, feeling bad that Quke has no leather, he gets to wear the paco with hearts for a bit

Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I would honestly rather spend like $20-50 on a collar here and there, and still change them out occasionally
This is where my issue is, I like switching collars out, I get bored of seeing the same one all the time. With $20 collars, I feel like I can buy more to be able to do that. If I spent $100 on a collar... I would feel like I could never take that collar off or use a different one lol.

Ah, the issue of having a short haired dog. I completely do not care what kind of collar Happy or Lucy wears lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

If I haven't bought one in a long time and feel a sudden craving for a new one and can't stop picturing it on my dog? Around $90 is the most I've spent on a single collar.

Normally though, I strongly contemplate even $25. Especially after buying all of my guys one really nice, pricey collar each. They don't need more than one super nice one. And considering they generally wear their $13 Mesamis collars that are soft and don't break their coats, or their $18 buckle Martingales or embroidered nylon ID collars, it's really hard to justify spending much on any more nice collars because they truly do just sit around most of the time waiting to be worn.

And I'm weird in that I actually will spend more and buy more collars for my hairy dogs. Because I can only see a little bit of the collar and thus don't get bored with it very quickly haha. On the Dobes, I tend to want to put a new collar on them constantly because it stands out so much and I get tired of looking at the same thing all the time. Not so much now that they don't wear collars unless we're out, but when they used to wear them all the time I was constantly changing them.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

I find I changed Bristols more when she had a bunch of Pacos, lol, now she doesn't even wear a collar like ever.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Since I do leather making, I've really got no need to buy a leather collar. I've made both of my dogs fancy leather collars and they mainly just sit in the basket because I prefer martingales. I love bright, wide fabric martingales on Harlow, and I can get them for about $20. Rider and Lucy have a fabric martingale for outings... but Lucy sports a rolled leather collar and Rider's in a thin paracord tag.

I think the two leathers I made probably cost me about $30 in supplies... so I guess that is my limit? I've found epic collars that I love for up to $250, but frankly I tend to pick a favorite that I put on for outings and the rest sit. As much as I love collars and getting new collars, it just doesn't make sense to spend that much.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Top Dog

The most I've spent on a collar is probably in the $50 range, though I'm not entirely sure. The most expensive collars I've purchased have been the AE collars, and I bought those as a set with a leash, so I'm not 100% sure how much just the collar was.

As to how much I'd spend... it would depend. Right now, I really can't justify spending much, my finances are not in great shape. I didn't even feel up to paying full price ($24) for the fabric wrapped collars I wanted for my dogs from The Collar Shop, I had to wait for her to have a sale. If I was in stronger shape money-wise, I can see going up as high as $75, for a really special collar. I'd like to have collars from this place:
http://sexybeastdogcollars.com/
Old 08-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Top Dog

75 dollars is the max,I would spend on a collar & that's what I get from Paco Collars.
On long hair dogs,you see glimpse of the collar whether it is single layered or a deluxe.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Considering I paid $102 for Blaze's Paco Zuma (which includes shipping) I had to put over $100. I, however, don't regret it all. That collar will last forever and STILL look nice.

Right around the $100 mark is sort of where I start to draw lines. Paco has some that are $150 range and I just can't ever see spending that. I can get some of the same design in a less expensive design they have.
Exactly how I feel.

I have spent right over $100 on a collar once, and that's about the highest I feel I'll ever spend on a collar. I don't have the desire for most of the $150 collars (they'd look ridiculous on my dogs since they're meant for larger dogs, and I just feel there are so many cheaper designs I love just as much). The carved collars are gorgeous, but I don't think I'd ever put them on my dogs... I'd be too concerned about them getting chewed, scratched, wet, etc.

I love Paco's The Glow design, and I really want it as a double layer martingale for Rory... but when all is said and done, it would be close to $200 with shipping. Even though I could afford it and it's a beautiful collar, I just can't pull the trigger on it!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep