Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Wait, I don't take back what I said. I just read that again, lol. They are part of USM, but not part of UMD. Towson, Salisbury, Frostburg, Bowie, etc. are all part of USM. UMD is UMCP.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
Wait, I don't take back what I said. I just read that again, lol. They are part of USM, but not part of UMD. Towson, Salisbury, Frostburg, Bowie, etc. are all part of USM. UMD is UMCP.
We're on the same page, I think. It's a state university. (UMD is also Eastern Shore, Baltimore, and Baltimore County)

Far more legitimate than the online degree mills that started popping up 10-15 years ago.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

(sorry for hijacking the thread, lol)

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to e-mail the program director of Cybersecurity at AACC to find out more confirmed details.

I know they have lots of higher education programs, too, now. Over on the Shore, you can get a bachelors degree in certain majors from Salisbury and UMD etc.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I really don't think my masters in education would be at all helpful for working at the zoo, in reality. They taught me how to write IEPs, how to design lesson plans, and how to scaffold material to reach diverse learners in a formal, structured setting. I learned how to teach english language learners, how to assess learning formally/informally, and how to deal with state standards.
But see, those ARE things that I need to know to get a teaching job in a zoo. Zoos have actual classes, summer school, homeschool classes, special ed classes - real classes that need real lesson plans and have to meet real state standards. A zoo is SO much more than just an animal collection. We even have a full-fledged accredited preschool at our zoo. Assessment of learning is even part of AZA standards for accreditation.

What got me thinking about online stuff is that one of the community colleges around here offers TONS of online courses. Of course nothing Master's level, but still stuff that would be useful. So if I needed prereqs before going into an education related master's program, I could likely get them done there.

Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
But see, those ARE things that I need to know to get a teaching job in a zoo. Zoos have actual classes, summer school, homeschool classes, special ed classes - real classes that need real lesson plans and have to meet real state standards. A zoo is SO much more than just an animal collection. We even have a full-fledged accredited preschool at our zoo. Assessment of learning is even part of AZA standards for accreditation.

What got me thinking about online stuff is that one of the community colleges around here offers TONS of online courses. Of course nothing Master's level, but still stuff that would be useful. So if I needed prereqs before going into an education related master's program, I could likely get them done there.

Thanks for all the input so far!
Nifty! FYI, there were no prereqs for the education side of things in virginia. Lots of prereqs for my concentration (secondary math). I needed so many undergrad credits in each of the different math topics.

If you are going to be teaching large groups in person, then I would make sure my degree offered the chance to teach large groups in person while I was getting it. I'd also think about what age you want to specialize in. An early childhood education degree (preschool) looks very different from elementary (where they will focus heavily on reading strategies and number sense) to secondary (where you can pick one subject to concentrate in). I have not heard of anyone who got a degree in "general all ages education", and would be leery about a program offering that.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
We're on the same page, I think. It's a state university. (UMD is also Eastern Shore, Baltimore, and Baltimore County)

Far more legitimate than the online degree mills that started popping up 10-15 years ago.
Oh yes, much more legitimate. I think we agree, but are saying the same thing completely differently. It's confusing. I don't think Eastern Shore, Baltimore, and Baltimore County are actually part of UMD/UMCP. A degree from UMCP says University of Maryland. A degree from one of the other "UM" colleges won't say University of Maryland, at -location- like other state universities with various locations. Eastern Shore, Baltimore, and Baltimore County are each separate entities, I guess is what I'm saying. You can go to University of Maryland at Shady Grove and get the same degree you would had you taken classes at College Park. I think I'm just confusing myself at this point.

Thread thoroughly hijacked. Everyone just go to UMCP.