Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Doodles (and how Labradoodles are different)

As the owner of a Labradoodle (and constantly being criticized for it), I found it necessary to st art this topic. I know this is going to be controversial...but PLEASE try to keep it friendly

As many of you have made clear in several different threads, you think that "designer dogs" are wrong. On some level, I agree with you. Dogs shouldn't be bred just because they look cute, especially when they are just mutts, and there are many mutts in shelters that need homes. But what I strongly disagree with is your argument (by "your", I mean folks who can't deal with the doodles!) that these dogs are "bred for no purpose". I don't know about all of you- but my dog was bred to be my pet. To me, that is a very important purpose.

But on to the purpose of this thread- labradoodles vs. other doodles. While I can understand why you are purely against any doodle, I think the labradoodle is different. It was "bred for a purpose"- as a seeing eye dog in Australia. (The Labradoodle Association of Australia)

How do you think a Lab was created? How do you think any type of dog was created? Through crossbreeding. Many of the popular purebred dogs are developing health problems from all the interbreeding among themselves. Most vets will tell you that a mixed breed is actually more likely to have less health problems than a purebred.

Well after all this, I'm sure you have at least more argument: how people are buying these designer dogs instead of shelter dogs. How would you feel if, when you purchased YOUR purebred dog from a breeder, you were criticized from not getting the dog from a shelter? That's how I feel when I get told that I should have gotten a shelter mix instead of the labradoodle I got from a breeder (who, by the way, I made sure is reputable).

The fact of the matter is, while I do feel sorry for mutts and purebreds stuck in shelters, I have 3 young children and I just can't take the risk with a shelter dog. I am aware of the fact that many of them are only put in shelters because their owners couldn't take care of them, and that the dogs are wonderful. But there is a chance that the dog has been abused in the past- and with children, this is a risk that I'm not willing to take. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. So whether or not I was buying a purebred or a labradoodle, I would be more comfortable getting my dog from a breeder.

So why do people constantly criticize designer dog owners? Is it because many of the owners are not educated and buy from BYBs? I'm sure that purebred dog owners also make this mistake, but I don't see them being picked on for it. It is certainly important to buy from a reputable breeder, but there are bad breeders for both designer dogs and purebreds. Not all designer dog breeders are bad.

I find it strange how so many of you care that "doodles" are becoming more popular. Why do you care so much about an owner loving their "designer dog" just as much as you love your purebred?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
But on to the purpose of this thread- labradoodles vs. other doodles. While I can understand why you are purely against any doodle, I think the labradoodle is different. It was "bred for a purpose"- as a seeing eye dog in Australia. (The Labradoodle Association of Australia)
The Austrailian Labradoodle that was bred for being a seeing eye dog is totally different than people throwing a lab or whatever breed you chose and a poodle together and calling them a labradoodle or any other kind of doodle just for the hell of it....

Last edited by jess2416; 09-04-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:52 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Snow Girl

I totally support breeding doodles as service dogs. I don'';t support breeding doodles for pets. That''s like me saying i support anyone who breeds Sibes for pets. I deffinately don;t.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

I have no problem with a dog for what it is...

and just so you know, there is so much more to making a purebred dog then like jess said throwing a lab and poodle together and let them have puppies. To make a purebred it would take many of years of hard work and breeding the SAME breed together, not two different breeds the whole time...

Also, there is no such thing as a reputable mutt breeder...
where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 09-04-2006, 04:02 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodley View Post
I don't know about all of you- but my dog was bred to be my pet. To me, that is a very important purpose.
There are over 700 dog breeds in the world...plenty of them would make awesome pets. So why go BUY a mutt when you could RESCUE one? Or BUY a purebred from a reputable breeder? Or RESCUE a purebred?? It doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Which didn't work - the whole plan failed, because they do shed.

Quote:
How do you think a Lab was created? How do you think any type of dog was created? Through crossbreeding. Many of the popular purebred dogs are developing health problems from all the interbreeding among themselves. Most vets will tell you that a mixed breed is actually more likely to have less health problems than a purebred.
Labs were created for an important purpose - to help catch food, to keep their families alive. And irresponsible breeders are the ones who inbreed, not the reputable breeders.

Quote:
when you purchased YOUR purebred dog from a breeder, you were criticized from not getting the dog from a shelter? That's how I feel when I get told that I should have gotten a shelter mix instead of the labradoodle I got from a breeder (who, by the way, I made sure is reputable).
If someone purchased a purebred for a puppy mill, I certainly would disagree with their choice. If they had a good reason to purchase from a REPUTABLE breeder, I would have no problem.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, while I do feel sorry for mutts and purebreds stuck in shelters, I have 3 young children and I just can't take the risk with a shelter dog. I am aware of the fact that many of them are only put in shelters because their owners couldn't take care of them, and that the dogs are wonderful. But there is a chance that the dog has been abused in the past- and with children, this is a risk that I'm not willing to take. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. So whether or not I was buying a purebred or a labradoodle, I would be more comfortable getting my dog from a breeder.
I hear this one all the time. You can always ask the shelter where the dog came from, and what it's past is. You can always evaluate the dog. Just because a dog is from a breeder does not mean that does is going to turn out well.

Quote:
So why do people constantly criticize designer dog owners? Is it because many of the owners are not educated and buy from BYBs? I'm sure that purebred dog owners also make this mistake, but I don't see them being picked on for it. It is certainly important to buy from a reputable breeder, but there are bad breeders for both designer dogs and purebreds. Not all designer dog breeders are bad.
I disagree with not all designer dog breeders being irresponsible; they are irresponsible, because they breed a dog for no purpose other than to be a thing.

Quote:
I find it strange how so many of you care that "doodles" are becoming more popular. Why do you care so much about an owner loving their "designer dog" just as much as you love your purebred?
No one is upset that people love their designer "breeds," we hate the fact that instead of rescuing the same mix, they buy one from a breeder, and most times, a very irresponsible, greedy breeder.

And just becaus someone is against designer dog breeding does not mean they only like purebreds, or they only own purebreds.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:12 PM

Many breeds make wonderful pets and to deny the fact that reputable breeders of dogs originally designed to be working dogs are not breeding for pet temperment is just ingnoring the truth. The world is changing, the dog population is exploding..sadly..but the majority of people buy a dog to be a family pet. Not really a matter of do we agree or not, it's a fact. The horrible result of course is shelters filled with mutts and purebred dogs and breed rescues poping up like crazy ..

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
I disagree with not all designer dog breeders being irresponsible; they are irresponsible, because they breed a dog for no purpose other than to be a thing.
While i agree with everything you have said and also that an irresponsible Breeder is in fact irresponsible...............I got Bailey from a BYB (I was naive to dog breeding at the time) and he isn't a "Designer dog"........I don't and never would regard my dog (or any other dog) as a thing.........He is (and designer dogs) are still dogs
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
What you lookin at?

Doodley you took the words right from my mouth Thank You!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

My whole problem with doodles (and purebreds from BYBs) is the lack of health testing. I check various doodle sites when I run across them and they often talk about the coat and color, but I've yet to see one who does OFA and CERF. Both Poodles and Labradors have genetic hip and eye problems in their breed, so breeding them together will mean the pups could develop problems as well. (It is NOT true that mixing breeds automatically makes them immune to genetic disorders).

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)