Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

I'm a feminist through and through. I don't care if that means people think I have hairy legs (I do sometimes, but what's it matter) or that I burn bras (nothing wrong a little pyrotechnics ), or whatever.
As long as they know that I am fighting the fight for equality, I am whatever "type" of feminist they imagine.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I had no idea either until a few years ago!
that's the beauty of music, it can have any meaning you want it too.

To me, meth was a part of that song, but it wasn't what the song was about. It's about relationships with people, with drugs, with sex, with life itself. Wanting more, finding it it's not what you thought, wanting to go back. Looking for happiness from outside and when it's not there, wanting something else, etc. So much meaning from that song.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaJD View Post
I think people have to realize that you can't have it all sometimes.
This this this this! It is physically impossible to be the best employee in the world and the best parent in the world. You can be good at both--but it's not fair to expect all the promotions if you also expect to chaperone all the field trips.

I saw a lot of parents at my old job get really upset that the project wasn't excited that they wanted to take days off for school plays, soccer games, and family dinners. Sorry--when the work culture is people willing to work 60+ hour work weeks (and often weekends), your 32 hours in a week aren't cutting it, and eventually they're going to find someone to replace you who is willing to work the extra hours. If you value time with your family that much (which is great, you should), then you need to choose a career/job that is more accommodating/less demanding.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

That brings up a whole other issue lol...which to me is what is driving a lot of the issues we see today.

A career or work should not be valued (by society) more than a family. Work hours etc are getting crazy again here. The time that is spent out of the home is crazy. The home (whatever that means to each family) is no longer the central point in our lives.

(And to make the above clear....no, of course this doesnt meam that individuals do not have the right to chose one over the other but on a whole, society is on careers side which bothers me greatly.)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
That brings up a whole other issue lol...which to me is what is driving a lot of the issues we see today.

A career or work should not be valued (by society) more than a family. Work hours etc are getting crazy again here. The time that is spent out of the home is crazy. The home (whatever that means to each family) is no longer the central point in our lives.

(And to make the above clear....no, of course this doesnt meam that individuals do not have the right to chose one over the other but on a whole, society is on careers side which bothers me greatly.)
But the career field has ALWAYS been notorious for long hours. It was consulting, which has a reputation second only to investment banking for long hours and crazy fast promotions and pay raises. You don't go into consulting because you want a good work/life balance. You go in because you want to make money.

If you want to be home at 6:00 for dinner every night, that's great! But then you need to choose a job that gives you that as an option. Find a smaller company to work for, choose a different field to work in, or accept that other people are going to take the promotions you wanted.

It's like becoming an ER doctor and then getting upset that you have to be on call 24/7. Don't choose a career that doesn't mesh with having a family if your priority is having a family.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Oh I was speaking generally....not about specifics. Even in "lower level" or jobs that SHOULD be able to offer flex time etc often that is not the case.