Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
After working at a car dealership for over a year, I find it hilarious when I go to other typically male dominated places and they try and treat me like they would some other female. In many cases it's worse, because I'm short, petite and look about 10 years younger than I actually am. Then when I start firing back, negotiating and all the other things women are socialized NOT to do (good girls don't rock the boat), half of them don't know how to respond.

I like turning stereotypes on their head. I've always been one to buck the system and have tended towards traditionally male dominated sectors. I've had to learn how to have a thick skin and to give back as good as I get while not alienating myself completely. There was a study put out a few years ago about how women who negotiate their contracts are seen as less desirable to work with by their male coworkers. How f*cked up is that?
Yes I am a negotiator "rock the boat" kind of person. Here at the race track, you almost hav to be a "bitch" so to speak to get any respect. I see that more then I would like to elsewhere too, women have to be abrasive & what not sometimes to "be heard" & I wish it wasn't like that

Dizzy, awwww don't diss that song, lol I like that song & I like pink
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Silence, peasants.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 1,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post

I don't consider myself a feminism. I'm for equality but I disagree with a lot of opinions that people who describe themselves as feminists believe. It has grown into a very subjective term. When I hear it, I do think of the intense bra burning, men should have kids, car mechanic times ten kind of woman.
So it depends on who is asking
I think at this point that kind of feminist is a minority... If they actually exist. I hear that as an argument against feminists because they're crazy, yet I've never met one...and neither has the person saying what they're like. Not saying you, but the general populace I've talked to.
__________________


Feistea, ze Blog
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I think at this point that kind of feminist is a minority... If they actually exist. I hear that as an argument against feminists because they're crazy, yet I've never met one...and neither has the person saying what they're like. Not saying you, but the general populace I've talked to.
Exactly.

Letting a few fringe people define a movement or a term is ridiculous. That would be like judging all Christians based on Westboro.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

I think if a woman wants to be "domestic," then more power to her. If a woman wants a career outside the home, same thing. Just do whatever the **** makes you happy and is right for YOU, and stop worrying about what "society" thinks.

I don't label myself as a feminist because of the negative connotations associated with it, but all in all, I guess I do meet some people's definitions of a feminist (for example, Zoom's definition!)

One thing I cannot stand is that my coworkers at the clinic will. not. lift. a dog that weighs over 20-30 pounds. COME ON, REALLY? They insist the "man" (the doctor) has to do it. I regularly lift dogs in excess of 100 pounds (we really shouldn't have that many 100+lb dogs coming in, STOP MAKING YOUR DOGS FAT, PEOPLE!). I especially love it when these total MANLY-type-men come in with their enormous, fat dogs, and say something along the lines of "Good luck getting him on the table!" And then I go pick up the dog and put it on the table in one movement

Am I really an "activist" on the subject, though? No. I have other causes that are more important to me, and splitting my energy as an activist between too many things doesn't benefit any of them. There are more feminist activists in this world than there are neurodiversity or service dog activists, so I'll spend my energy on the latter two topics, and y'all can tackle the former
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Really? Out of ALL the songs out there with negative messages, THIS is the one that annoys you? I really don't see how 'young people' will feel the need to slap their SOS around due to the lyrics in this song.
Domestic violence in teenage relationships is sky rocketing.

Relationships are far far far more turbulent than they were even in my day.

And yes out of all the songs I picked that one. Want to know why?? The others aren't played on mainstream national and local radio 20 times a day and they aren't mainstream pop music!!!!

The hypocrisy kills me. If it was a song about a man slapping and strangling a woman I think it would be banned from the radio.

I don't care about lyrics to songs, sing what you want.... I DO care what is broadcast on national radio stations aimed at under 25s.

I work with a lot of teens who are VERY influenced by the music they listen to... It often defines their whole identity. I think that goes for most humans in most walks of life actually.

If we want to be treated as humans equally, then it has to go both ways.... We can't condone ANY domestic violence towards male/female/whatever.

Yes, it does drive me batty!!!!!!!

Censorship sucks, but come on pink, you aren't a niche artist, you're a very very well known pop star with tons of young girls listening. Ooooooh so he drives me crazy and I want to slap him? THIS is what a relationship is!!

(Actually, she's probably right, but come on )
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,952
Default

Oh PLENTY of pop music glorifies violence against women, rape, objectification, etc. I dont know this Pink song but it sounds like its more of a struggle of strong emotions and and violent feelings but NOT acting on them?

I mean what about that Robin Thicke song?

Quote:
And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl
Can't let it get past me
You're far from plastic
Talk about getting blasted
I hate these blurred lines
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me
Thats just a recent ones.....music industry is probably one of the worst offenders.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I think if a woman wants to be "domestic," then more power to her. If a woman wants a career outside the home, same thing. Just do whatever the **** makes you happy and is right for YOU, and stop worrying about what "society" thinks.

I don't label myself as a feminist because of the negative connotations associated with it, but all in all, I guess I do meet some people's definitions of a feminist (for example, Zoom's definition!)

One thing I cannot stand is that my coworkers at the clinic will. not. lift. a dog that weighs over 20-30 pounds. COME ON, REALLY? They insist the "man" (the doctor) has to do it. I regularly lift dogs in excess of 100 pounds (we really shouldn't have that many 100+lb dogs coming in, STOP MAKING YOUR DOGS FAT, PEOPLE!). I especially love it when these total MANLY-type-men come in with their enormous, fat dogs, and say something along the lines of "Good luck getting him on the table!" And then I go pick up the dog and put it on the table in one movement

Am I really an "activist" on the subject, though? No. I have other causes that are more important to me, and splitting my energy as an activist between too many things doesn't benefit any of them. There are more feminist activists in this world than there are neurodiversity or service dog activists, so I'll spend my energy on the latter two topics, and y'all can tackle the former
Oh yeah I hate women like that HATE HATE HATE

If there is NO medical reason for you not putting out then get your lazy ass up & "cowgirl up", you don't see many women like that T the track becsuse they don't last, they want special treatment because apparently they are delicate flowers that will wilt if they have to do any work.

So no that is generally not tolerated in the horse industry.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Domestic violence in teenage relationships is sky rocketing.

Relationships are far far far more turbulent than they were even in my day.

And yes out of all the songs I picked that one. Want to know why?? The others aren't played on mainstream national and local radio 20 times a day and they aren't mainstream pop music!!!!

The hypocrisy kills me. If it was a song about a man slapping and strangling a woman I think it would be banned from the radio.

I don't care about lyrics to songs, sing what you want.... I DO care what is broadcast on national radio stations aimed at under 25s.

I work with a lot of teens who are VERY influenced by the music they listen to... It often defines their whole identity. I think that goes for most humans in most walks of life actually.

If we want to be treated as humans equally, then it has to go both ways.... We can't condone ANY domestic violence towards male/female/whatever.

Yes, it does drive me batty!!!!!!!

Censorship sucks, but come on pink, you aren't a niche artist, you're a very very well known pop star with tons of young girls listening. Ooooooh so he drives me crazy and I want to slap him? THIS is what a relationship is!!

(Actually, she's probably right, but come on )
I don't agree with censorship at all. I don't like the "man" telling me what is appropriate & what is not. why should she have to edit her music because people don't like what she is singing about?

Everyone blames music / TV / video games for violence, but it is the PARENTS of these kids that need to be doing their job, not expecting the government to do it for them. Censorship IMHO makes some parents lazy.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,661
Default

I suppose I'm a feminist if you define it by Zoom's post. I believe in choice and equality. HOWEVER, I am realistic.

For example, realistically, a 120lb woman in firefighter gear isn't likely going to be able to drag a 250lb man + firefighter gear out of a burning building. If they CAN, cool, awesome. Go for it, girl. But sometimes there are standards for a reason, and I believe in the equality that man OR woman, you need to be able to meet those standards, including physical. I find it equally as frustrating that women who CAN do physically demanding jobs are turned down because they are women, but their male co-workers can't finish the physical fitness test themselves.

Quote:
The hypocrisy kills me. If it was a song about a man slapping and strangling a woman I think it would be banned from the radio.
Yeah...because it is blatant abuse(but even then, not likely). But there are way worse, mainstream lyrics out there. Hollywood Undead's Kill Everybody is a good example, and it isn't sexist. The most important part to me about Pink's lyrics, or what you quoted (I've never heard it) is that the says she WANTS to. Not that she does. She also wants to hug him, but I suppose that doesn't count.

Violence is a common outlet for pain, frustration, and anger. But wanting to do something doesn't make you a bad person, and wanting to do something doesn't make you an abusive person. Sometimes wanting to do something and walking away is just as important as never thinking of it to begin with.

And to add, women are more likely to be emotionally abusive due to physical restraints than physically abusive. But I don't see anyone up in arms about how women emotionally abuse their spouses and children. It's only a problem that seems to get attention VERY recently.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:29 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,982
Default

I see people are still blaming music for societal ills. It wasn't the problem before and it isn't now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site