Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Aussie Obssessed

I'm curious what the opinion here is on the newer trend to sexually objectify men in media? Is this a turn towards equality or simply a bad turn?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Well I like to rant about how the feminists ruined everything and if they didn't exist, I'd be able to spend the day in the house rather than working

But I do support equality, so I guess I am. I'm not burning my bra though. Seriously, I need those things. Not shaving would save a lot of time, though.

In the immortal words of the great Joss Whedon:

Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Well I like to rant about how the feminists ruined everything and if they didn't exist, I'd be able to spend the day in the house rather than working

But I do support equality, so I guess I am. I'm not burning my bra though. Seriously, I need those things. Not shaving would save a lot of time, though.

In the immortal words of the great Joss Whedon:
you go Joss, I love that quote.

I consider myself a feminist for all the reasons Zoom mentioned, that doesn't make me a bra burning (though I have been tempted since I HATE them) man hater, but working in the race horse profession (the other equine disciplines there is slightly more equality btw the sexes) there is still a lot of "looking down torwards women.

I wish I could:
buy a car
Go to a mechanic
Get my oil changed
Buy tires

WITHOUT needing my OH to come with me because I either get the run around or treated like a dumb ass because I am female.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
I'm curious what the opinion here is on the newer trend to sexually objectify men in media? Is this a turn towards equality or simply a bad turn?
I would need an example of this because I'm not sure what you mean.

I know women are sexually objectified (sex sells!), so I guess it's true equality to also do it with men. HOWEVER, I don't think anyone should be seen as an "object", so that doesn't mean I approve of either. Instead of objectifying men, I would rather see the objectifying of women stop.

But then you have women who are totally willing to be objectified (dancers, prostitutes, actresses)... and men, too... So who is to say how they should live their lives?

My bottom line is, if the person is OK with it, then I'm OK with it. It's their life and their choice.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I don't believe in "isms" so much as equality and amti-discrimination.

You know what DOES annoy me though.... Currently pinks lyrics.

Quote:
Sometimes I hate every single stupid word you say
Sometimes I wanna slap you in your whole face
There's no one quite like you
You push all my buttons down
I know life would suck without you

At the same time, I wanna hug you
I wanna wrap my hands around your neck
You're an asshole but I love you
And you make me so mad I ask myself
Why I'm still here, or where could I go
You're the only love I've ever known
But I hate you, I really hate you,
So much, I think it must be

True love, true love
It must be true love
So many reasons!!!!!!!!!

If a man sang about slapping women???!!

What MESSAGE does this send to young people about relationships??!!

So wrong. Irritates me no end.

I don't think we need feminism, we need humanism!!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Sex sells is a bit different from objectifying....

Am I ok with truly objectifying men..no. HOWEVER, I dont think it is exactly the same because in the world, in culture, men arent treated as objects but women far too often are.

I dont think the message is the same.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I don't believe in "isms" so much as equality and amti-discrimination.

You know what DOES annoy me though.... Currently pinks lyrics.

So many reasons!!!!!!!!!

If a man sang about slapping women???!!

What MESSAGE does this send to young people about relationships??!!

So wrong. Irritates me no end.

I don't think we need feminism, we need humanism!!!!
Really? Out of ALL the songs out there with negative messages, THIS is the one that annoys you? I really don't see how 'young people' will feel the need to slap their SOS around due to the lyrics in this song.

I don't consider myself a feminism. I'm for equality but I disagree with a lot of opinions that people who describe themselves as feminists believe. It has grown into a very subjective term. When I hear it, I do think of the intense bra burning, men should have kids, car mechanic times ten kind of woman.
So it depends on who is asking

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I dont think it is exactly the same because in the world, in culture, men arent treated as objects but women far too often are.

I dont think the message is the same.
Great point. I think with this subject (as well as racism), we have to consider the history of our culture and how women have been oppressed historically... I mean, that's what caused the need to "break out" and start burning bras. Usually, when one gender or race has historically had the power over the other, equality is going to be a difficult goal, without the oppressed party going a little overboard until the pendulum swings back to center.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourIsCompany View Post
I would need an example of this because I'm not sure what you mean.

I know women are sexually objectified (sex sells!), so I guess it's true equality to also do it with men. HOWEVER, I don't think anyone should be seen as an "object", so that doesn't mean I approve of either. Instead of objectifying men, I would rather see the objectifying of women stop.
This is kind of how I feel about it, but it's complicated.

I don't want to live in a world where no one can ever admire an attractive person of either gender, but I don't want to live in a world where a person's entire worth is based on their physical appearance, either.

Also, traditionally there is a cultural element of power/control/safety disparities between men and women that make it hard to straight-up compare the effects of objectification of one gender to the other. Which complicates the issue.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
you go Joss, I love that quote.

I consider myself a feminist for all the reasons Zoom mentioned, that doesn't make me a bra burning (though I have been tempted since I HATE them) man hater, but working in the race horse profession (the other equine disciplines there is slightly more equality btw the sexes) there is still a lot of "looking down torwards women.

I wish I could:
buy a car
Go to a mechanic
Get my oil changed
Buy tires

WITHOUT needing my OH to come with me because I either get the run around or treated like a dumb ass because I am female.
After working at a car dealership for over a year, I find it hilarious when I go to other typically male dominated places and they try and treat me like they would some other female. In many cases it's worse, because I'm short, petite and look about 10 years younger than I actually am. Then when I start firing back, negotiating and all the other things women are socialized NOT to do (good girls don't rock the boat), half of them don't know how to respond.

I like turning stereotypes on their head. I've always been one to buck the system and have tended towards traditionally male dominated sectors. I've had to learn how to have a thick skin and to give back as good as I get while not alienating myself completely. There was a study put out a few years ago about how women who negotiate their contracts are seen as less desirable to work with by their male coworkers. How f*cked up is that?