Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Question Dog owners who had babies?

Spin off from the other thread.

How did your relationship change with your dogs?

How did having a baby impact on your doggy lifestyle or hobbies?

Did you have to change everything round?

Do you think your dog has suffered because you had a child or children?

Would you do anything differently??

Discuss

I'm interested as I would like kids eventually.. And I want to continue enjoying my dogs!!!!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I wouldn't say our relationship with them changed too much.

I'm very much the "average" dog owner. they are companion pets. We don't do any dog sports or anything. So their lives haven't changed much. they run around the yard when they want and then they come in and sleep all day lol

Would I do anything differently? I don't know. I love the dogs but sometimes having two large dogs can be a pain but that's not just because I have a child. Hannah really wants a cat lol but that can't happen with these two beasts around haha. it adds a degree of difficulty to our travels and includes a lot of money to have them looked after while we are away and that can be a nuisance. I feel like we don't have as much freedom to do whatever and go where ever....

BUT we love them anyway and we will take good care of them until their day comes and we'll make that day as happy for them as we can.

They have gotten fatter since we have a child running around leaving food unattended lol. When we don't have a dogs it's going to be tough to adjust to not having a crumb catcher underfoot at all times lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

I had Shibas when I had my son so life didn't change too much because well they were Shibas and didn't really care as long as their food dishes got filled.

I did end up stopping showing though which sucked. And only now have gotten back into dog stuff again which I find sad, my son is 14 now so it took me a long time. But that has to do with where I live and what I have for dogs more then anything.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
How did your relationship change with your dogs?
In a lot of ways I feel like I'm closer to my dogs. I was home with them and a baby (who was very boring for the first six weeks) for twelve weeks. At least three times a week I took the baby and one of the dogs out to go do stuff - parks, hikes, walks, whatever. I spent a lot of quality time with them when I was on leave and I've tried to continue that trend on the weekends now that I'm back at work.

Quote:
How did having a baby impact on your doggy lifestyle or hobbies?
The only reason Mu and I aren't in an agility class is because there's not one running (and hasn't been since I had Falon). I only had one dog in class at a time before I got pregnant anyway so that hasn't really changed. What has changed is the amount of time I spent at the training facility - I used to be there three times a week walking dogs and/or helping out with classes. I'm not able to do that now, nor do I want to. I would much rather spend my free time with my kid, my husband, and my dogs.

I still take my dogs to the park and what not - I have a bunch of baby carrying devices so I wear the baby and walk the dog. It's really not difficult (although it is harder to manage Mu's reactivity so I try to go during off times with her).

Quote:
Did you have to change everything round?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. We changed the furniture all around, but we did that while I was pregnant so the dogs would have a chance to get used to it.

Quote:
Do you think your dog has suffered because you had a child or children?
Yes and no. Mu and Tipper are back to a crate and rotate schedule but we set up a permanent gate in between the living room and kitchen so at least both of them can be out at the same time. I make sure that they get exercised at least every other day (which is about on par with how it used to be) and I try to do at least one training session a week. Mu follows me everywhere so she gets attention all the time. And Tipper likes to cuddle up and be loved while I'm on the sofa nursing the baby.

I think Murphy has suffered a bit more than the girls actually. Because he never asked for attention before, I just inflicted it on him when I felt like it. And now that it's summer he spends a lot of time downstairs laying on the cold tile, so he doesn't get as much attention as he used to.

Quote:
Would you do anything differently??
I can't think of anything. I don't feel like our lives have changed that much, but logically they've changed a TON. I think the fact that we did a ton of prep work and we're flexible people has a lot to do with our success. It doesn't hurt that we have the easiest baby ever.

I read the article linked in the other thread and it made me really angry. Talk about setting a dog up to fail. And really, if you know after having one kid that you don't like your dog anymore (which is a whole nother level of wtf for me) why would you keep the dog when you continue to procreate? I also can't fathom suddenly not giving a **** about my dog's health because I had a baby.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013